Paul Pogba

Jenks

It was reported that Pogba left because he wanted 20K a week in wages and the club weren't prepared to offer that kind of money to a youth player because Fergie believed that it would set a wrong trend and other young players will demand similar wages....Morrison was sold because of his off field problems and Fergie believed that he needed to get away from manchester permanently........

I don't buy that at all. That's just the picture Ferguson wanted to paint for the media. It's no coincidence that he left just before his contract ran out. We've seen this trend before. If a player makes demands that Ferguson thinks are above their station then his ego can't handle it, and they have to go. I bet the reason he retired so soon was because it became clear the owners would give Rooney whatever he wanted. And where is this 20k story coming from in regard to Pogba? I suspect a site we're not allowed to link to here. The fact is Ferguson hated player power, and when push came to shove, he'd rather sacrifice some serious talent than in his words 'lose that control'.

S7_MUFC

I don't buy that at all. That's just the picture Ferguson wanted to paint for the media. It's no coincidence that he left just before his contract ran out. We've seen this trend before. If a player makes demands that Ferguson thinks are above their station then his ego can't handle it, and they have to go. I bet the reason he retired so soon was because it became clear the owners would give Rooney whatever he wanted. And where is this 20k story coming from in regard to Pogba? I suspect a site we're not allowed to link to here. The fact is Ferguson hated player power, and when push came to shove, he'd rather sacrifice some serious talent than in his words 'lose that control'.
It's less about his ego and more about his belief in how a manager should have complete control....His was terrific at man management and he believed that if you bow down to demands of one player than rest of the team will follow suit....I think this philosophy was relevant until the billionaire owners arrived because before that player could only go 2-3 clubs that could offer better prospects both trophy and money wise.....

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
There never should be any doubt in Fergi's man-management ability... even if sometimes it seems like his actions are driven by his ego

S7_MUFC

There never should be any doubt in Fergi's man-management ability... even if sometimes it seems like his actions are driven by his ego
Exactly...One thing should be made absolutely clear about Pogba and Morrison....Fergie knew exactly how good they were and Pogba's performance for Juve isn't any surprise for us....I don't know what Fergie thought would happen if he gave in to Pogba's demands but Moyes doesn't believe in those principles so if there was any long term advantage in not giving into Pogba's demands then those advantage went along with Fergie.....

Jenks

Why shouldn't Ferguson's man-management be in question? Clearly he knew how to build a great team spirit and winning mentality, but when it came to big personality and demands he didn't like he was obviously lacking in that regard.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Why shouldn't Ferguson's man-management be in question? Clearly he knew how to build a great team spirit and winning mentality, but when it came to big personality and demands he didn't like he was obviously lacking in that regard.
look at it this way man... time & again he gave those prima donnas away and still managed to keep on winning! It's always paid off for him. If there's one thing he believed in, it's the team spirit and the one thing he knew by heart was building winning mentality... so much so that he never even needed to build his tactical ability! One could probably even say he is like a one trick pony but he is so God damn good at that one trick he never had to depend on others and he still enjoys the legendary status

Last edited:

oggydude

Pogba was very lazy at United, even at Juventus he has been late so many times to training, Fergie hated players thinking they're to good to follow the rules. Also Viera and his agent wanted Pogba out of United. Pogba whilst a great player would've headed out to Madrid in a couple of years anyway, I don't think he'll stay at Juve for to long.

Jenks

look at it this way man... time & again he gave those prima donnas away and still managed to keep on winning! It's always paid off for him.

I'd say he's won in spite of that, rather than because of it. I don't doubt that broadly speaking he is an excellent man-manager, but his ego is a weakness in my view.

S7_MUFC

I'd say he's won in spite of that, rather than because of it. I don't doubt that broadly speaking he is an excellent man-manager, but his ego is a weakness in my view.
I think his ego was his biggest Ststrength... How many times did we bounce back in the second half after having terrible first half? That's because players were afraid of him and he could use that fear to motivate them.

Home of Barca Fans