NextGen Series (U19)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
What do you mean? Isn't this tournament for u-19? I also found out that Dongou scored 7 times, tied top scorer and Barca got knocked out in the first KO round. He was 16 at the time. Fuckin' hell.

Barcelona played with their Juvenil A squad, so most of their matches they were at a minimum 2 years younger than the opposition

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
How does that answer my question? Let me rephrase, the competition is for u19, has a club used players over the 19 years of age?

AFCA

RM needs a strong academy first & foremost ;)

I hope the rules are a bit more strict on the use of first team footballers like Ajax & Inter did

Ajax didn't use first team players. Just because players have already made their debut doesn't mean they are part of the first team. Klaassen had played like 5 games with the first team at that time, same goes for Ligeon. All of these players were A1(u-19) players.

Maria

How does that answer my question? Let me rephrase, the competition is for u19, has a club used players over the 19 years of age?

I don't think so, but there are players that made their debut for the first team and were used just for the final stages of this tournament.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Ajax didn't use first team players. Just because players have already made their debut doesn't mean they are part of the first team. Klaassen had played like 5 games with the first team at that time, same goes for Ligeon. All of these players were A1(u-19) players.

Both Inter & Ajax used players who have played with the 1st team and I watched the Ajax vs Barcelona match...It was men against boys...Technically, Barcelona were running circles on Ajax but Ligeon, 20 y.o. (Who played first team), Veltman 20 y.o. (Played first team) and Rits (Who also played first team) were an unfair advantage, IMHO

Truth is Rits should've been sent off on bookings, IMO...He was guilty of some thug tactics and the referee simply never had the courage to do anything about it...After a good 40 minutes into the match, the Juvenil A kids looked sufficiently tamed from the physical advantage the Ajax team had - along with the 2 plus year age difference and first team footballers

It should be academy players, not players who occasionally play first team football as well

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End

No clubs haven't used players over 19 for that competition, but those players may well have played first team football for their clubs. For example Raheem Sterling played in this competition and he played twice for us last season in the first team.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Both Inter & Ajax used players who have played with the 1st team and I watched the Ajax vs Barcelona match...It was men against boys...Technically, Barcelona were running circles on Ajax but Ligeon, 20 y.o. (Who played first team), Veltman 20 y.o. (Played first team) and Rits (Who also played first team) were an unfair advantage, IMHO

Truth is Rits should've been sent off on bookings, IMO...He was guilty of some thug tactics and the referee simply never had the courage to do anything about it...After a good 40 minutes into the match, the Juvenil A kids looked sufficiently tamed from the physical advantage the Ajax team had - along with the 2 plus year age difference and first team footballers

It should be academy players, not players who occasionally play first team football as well

At that level diving is hard to master, it is refined art so it didn't work. On a more serious note, I am not sure if this is good exposure for players this young of it is excellent exposure but I am leaning towards the latter. I just wouldn't want any of these players injured or over exerted, also I think Sergio argued that these players might develop a sense of competition too much that they will leap over learning technical skills.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sergio makes a good point, I'm not sure myself...You could see that Juvenil A played the way they always do throughout the series even up until they faced Ajax - the only time they looked incapable of bossing a match owing to their lack of physical edge...I suppose in one sense that can be viewed as a potential positive since it reinforces to the kids that they have a ways to go still

Still, gotta think it did wonders for their confidence as they were bossing teams 2 years older than them throughout the series

Plus, Dongou is going to be difficult to contain...He was a handful for everyone

AFCA

They played with the first team yes, they are not part of the first team. They are youth players.
- Ligeon was 19, has played three games in the first team.
- Veltman, has never played with the first team(was a dispensation player because he came back from a long injury and needed playing time, and the -u19 central defender was injured)
- Rits is 18, played with the first team in like 2 games in pre season (so not official, and only played because our most talented midfielder went to Juventus during the winter transfer period)

If you were technically "running circles" around us then you should've won....But you didn't
Youth players always get to deal with teams that are stronger, if you have better players you will win.
I see u14 matches of Ajax when they play against u16, and we still win. It's just a bad excuse for losing. But you obviously find it very important that your youth team wins, which is not what it is about, it's about development of the individual. Who cares which team was more physical? In the end it's about how many players will make it to the first team. Barca were better as a team, but we had the individual class to finish it off.

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
PSV beat Aston Villa 1-0 at home, who knows... Maybe they won't leave with 3 points from 6 games this year :p

Home of Barca Fans