Nelson Semedo

Icarium

Lifestealer
I predict that MD are bullshitting again and they haven't gotten a clue what Barca's transfer targets are. I just hope Robert and Barto knows who to target instead of chasing Bellerin and Coutinho.

navidjaan

We can't just wait for Palencia. This is a risk we have taken last season with Roberto and he had more merits than Palancia do currently and it backfired badly. If Valverde decided to promote him then he will be back up. even if he proved great it will be good problem to have with him and Semedo.

Look, I've always been open for letting him stay at Barça B in Segunda A or loaning him out to Girona if they promote to La Liga (they'll need a RB since Maffeo will probably return to City). I just think it's also a big risk to sign a Benfica RB for 50M.

He is playing well in what is worse than third tier level really against some terrible sides.

Yeah, same was said about Grimaldo, and in less than a year, I saw Benfica fans saying he was their best player. I don't understand that argument. Literally all our best first team players who came from Barça B played in Tercera or Segunda B. And no B player played well in the games vs Leonesa, but they've all been great all season. I think it's fair to say that Leonesa were just significantly better than Barça B as a team as a whole, which is what matters in the end. Also, let's not forget that Gerard is an average coach who can only do what has been given to him. If he stays with them in Segunda A, I think they'll relegate fast.

The important thing is that the B talents can compete against Barça's first team players when given the chance, and we'll have to see how that pans out in preseason and throughout next season.

JamDav1982

Look, I've always been open for letting him stay at Barça B in Segunda A or loaning him out to Girona if they promote to La Liga (they'll need a RB since Maffeo will probably return to City). I just think it's also a big risk to sign a Benfica RB for 50M.

Yeah, same was said about Grimaldo, and in less than a year, I saw Benfica fans saying he was their best player. I don't understand that argument. Literally all our best first team players who came from Barça B played in Tercera or Segunda B. And no B player played well in the games vs Leonesa, but they've all been great all season. I think it's fair to say that Leonesa were just significantly better than Barça B as a team as a whole, which is what matters in the end. Also, let's not forget that Gerard is an average coach who can only do what has been given to him. If he stays with them in Segunda A, I think they'll relegate fast.

The important thing is that the B talents can compete against Barça's first team players when given the chance, and we'll have to see how that pans out in preseason and throughout next season.

How many of those B team players were still in third tier at 21? Those that did come through for majority playing in third tier was a quick stepping stone on to first team for players that were always destined for bigger things. The vast majority of players from B/C team who get to third tier haven't made it anyway.

Grimaldo played at a higher level for majority of time in B team and it is irrelevant anyway as that argument could be used to justify any B team player and even then the biggest questions seemed to be his attitude not ability.

Palencia is not good enough going forward to be a full back for Barca for me. Not even close really. He is a steady, committed player at a really poor level and that is at the age of 21 and not same room for development.

serghei

If the press is right, just the simple fact that we view Bellerin as a better RB for us than Semedo is enough to really question our ability to rate players.

navidjaan

How many of those B team players were still in third tier at 21?

Just the most noticeable ones. There are naturally many more. You can check more players for yourself at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Masia#Alumni

- Amor (until 21)
- Sergi Barjuán (until 22)
- Oscar Garcia (first team debut at 20, stayed at Barça B until 21)
- Pep (first team debut at 19, still played B games at 21)
- Luis Garcia (was a B player until he was 24, where he had been loaned out for 3 years)
- Gabri (first team debut at 20, stayed at Barça B until 21)
- Valdes (first team debut in 2002 at 20, still played for Barça B until 2003 at 21.
- Puyol (until 21)
- Oleguer (until 23)
- Pedro (first team debut at 21, stayed at Barça B until 22)

And I didn't even check all of the listed players, just the more known ones. I'm sure giving first team chances to B players at 20-22 is the rule rather than the exception. If they can compete with the other first team players at that age, it quite simply does not matter which league they play in. At least it was once like that when Pep and Lucho hadn't taken the B team to new standards.

My point is that if Palencia, Marlon and Aleñá can compete well against the players in their position during preseason, it's absolutely plausible to talk about promotion if the circumstances are right, no matter which league they play in. It's not their fault that the B guys before them relegated to Segunda B in 2015. In fact, this is Marlon and Aleñá's first season registered as B players, while Palencia was competing with Godswill at RB last season.

xXKonan

I predict that MD are bullshitting again and they haven't gotten a clue what Barca's transfer targets are. I just hope Robert and Barto knows who to target instead of chasing Bellerin and Coutinho.
I wouldn't put it past the Catalan media for cheer-leading for a particular target. It certainly happened before (Courtois vs Ter Stegen 2014).

I wouldn't doubt that he's one of our main options but they articles I've read from MD and Sport make it come off as Robert is one stubborn Sob that has one only one target in mind. Despite the problems in the last transfer window I seriously doubt Robert is even that stubborn myself and he probably knows when to move on to the next target.

It's just hard to take articles seriously when they talk about how pricey certain RB's are but talk about how Bellerin is our number one target when He himself would cost the most out of the RB's we are following.

Heck MD finally wrote something about Semedo, after the last several days of rumors of us negotiating for him in the Portuguese press. He went from being 4-5th place in line Behind guys like Sidble,Cancelo,Bellerin and Azpilicueta to second in behind Bellerin.

Warik

Just the most noticeable ones. There are naturally many more. You can check more players for yourself at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Masia#Alumni

- Amor (until 21)
- Luis Garcia (was a B player until he was 24, where he had been loaned out for 3 years)
- Valdes (first team debut in 2002 at 20, still played for Barça B until 2003 at 21.
- Puyol (until 21)
- Oleguer (until 23)

And I didn't even check all of the listed players, just the more known ones. I'm sure giving first team chances to B players at 20-22 is the rule rather than the exception. If they can compete with the other first team players at that age, it quite simply does not matter which league they play in. At least it was once like that when Pep and Lucho hadn't taken the B team to new standards.

My point is that if Palencia, Marlon and Aleñá can compete well against the players in their position during preseason, it's absolutely plausible to talk about promotion if the circumstances are right, no matter which league they play in. It's not their fault that the B guys before them relegated to Segunda B in 2015. In fact, this is Marlon and Aleñá's first season registered as B players, while Palencia was competing with Godswill at RB last season.

I agree with you here. To me it is astonishing how our club and Madrid have almost swapped places. 5-6 years ago we would always look to the B team for answers first, then to La Liga second, then out to the 'big names' if we could see nothing. Now it is all about signing Galactico type players, for big money, losing our identity brick by brick. When you contrast it to Real, it may get to the point they have more Cantera players in their squad next year than us with Llorente, Carvajal, Nacho, and even Casemiro who came through. With other young talents like Vallejo, Asensio and possibly Dani Ceballos too. Then you see that Mboula and Cucu might leave, and these same people saying we can't wait and must sign are wondering why. We sell Sandro and buy Paco, would Sandro have been any worse than Paco? You also have Fornals in Malaga shows all the attributes of Verratti, for a fraction of a price, yet no, we must have Verratti. Better that Fornals goes to Arsenal and we try and buy him in two years for 4-5x the price.

To me it is frustrating really. We've lost our way as a club from board to fans in the last few years. Give Marlon, Alena and Palencia a shot I say. What they might lack in polish they'll make up for in heart.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Which Galactico type players have we signed? I don't get this comparison.

Is Arda a Galactico? Is Gomes a Galactico? Is Aleix Vidal a Galactico?

Are Paco, Vermaelen, Umtiti, Digne, ter Stegen, Bravo, Song, Cillessen, Galacticos?

Where are the Galacticos? Oh....Neymar and Suarez....Well guess what, Barca have always signed top players like them too.

Give Marlon, Alena and Palencia a shot. Sure, they deserve it, but you still have to sign players to compete, because the moment we stop competing for titles, you guys will be the first ones to condemn the club, the players, the manager etc. for the situation the team is in.

Barca haven't signed Galacticos. We have simply signed badly, and made some really bad decisions in the transfer market on mediocre players.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Anything above 20-25mil for him is ludicrous! Wtf is happening with the market these days?! It seams we won't be able to buy any decent player anymore bellow 50 mil!!!

serghei

:lol: 20m. was Mathieu. No way a young talent at rightback (a weak position in football right now in terms of talent) costs that little money.

40m. in this market for Semedo is a fair price.

JamDav1982

- Amor (until 21)
- Puyol (until 21)
- Oleguer (until 23)

You quoted 'best first team players' at third tier and not all of those players fit that criteria.

Players being rotated between first team and B team is not the same scenario while players like Puyol and Pedro are borderline La Masia at best.

There is not many la masia players at 21 having had next to no real chances with first team then going on to make it. Especially these days when standards of first teams are a lot higher than in past and not same foreigner rules etc.

All for giving them chances pre season and it is just my opinion Palencia is not good enough or even particularly close to being good enough but if wrong good luck to him.

Alena and Marlon are different in that they have shown a lot more than Palencia has for me and look like could be good enough.

Last edited:

Jombi

:lol: 20m. was Mathieu. No way a young talent at rightback (a weak position in football right now in terms of talent) costs that little money.

40m. in this market for Semedo is a fair price.

50m isnt a fair price. Sidibe went for 15m last summer. How much did Dembele go for? When has the RB position been strong in terms of talent? Players who are really good frequently gets moved to the center in order to be more involved in the game. Thats not a new trend.

JamDav1982

50m isnt a fair price. Sidibe went for 15m last summer. How much did Dembele go for? When has the RB position been strong in terms of talent? Players who are really good frequently gets moved to the center in order to be more involved in the game. Thats not a new trend.

Not sure should be paying 50m for Semedo but Sidibe price is almost irrelevant as that juts looks like a bargain in current market not the going price. Not even current market really as looks as if prices have gone up again.

The market is crazy and 50m for a sought after player from a number of top clubs is not not a crazy price anymore.

Home of Barca Fans