Nelson Semedo

Calidad

People need to stop comparing him to Dani Alves, who was one of the greatest FB’s in modern history. There are literally no Dani Alves’ at the moment.

Semedo is fast, has good technique and is very good defending 1v1 situations which Barca FB’s are often presented with. He’s also pretty strong and athletic - or strong enough. He has a couple areas to improve in, notably his final ball, which I believe is still down to a confidence issue rather than any inherent flaws in his game.

There are not many better out there. Cancelo can’t defend. Walker is all pace and strength, but dare I say plays in a much more progressive side. TAA is caught out of position more than he’s not. Carvajal has regressed and often looks one of Madrid’s weaker players. I can only think of Kimmich who is overall probably the best rounded RB at the moment, but he too can be got at defensively.

Semedo is not an area of concern. Valverde just needs to give him continuity and stop hauling him off at HT when he has an indifferent half of football like the rest of the players in the team seem to end up having a lot too.

I don’t think he was particularly at fault for the goal either. He was the only player actually marking anyone.

mc_lovin

This has to be your worst narrative. The idea should be to build the best possible team. Simple as that. You dont need 2 different approaches for la liga and CL. A team that can beat Liverpool can beat Osasuana as well (who by the way pressed us into oblivion in the first half). Substituting (or even starting) more offensive options is always (!!!) possible

serghei

The goal, broke down to see whose fault it really was. Semedo's actions here are well backed and very much in the direction of textbook actions in case of imbalance in the middle (due to Lenglet being far out, and Pique being off position without having the central striker in his eyesight - he has no clue where the no9 here is, meters behind him as per image).

It is a defensive rule, that if a player is not marked, and is in a more dangerous position that the opponent that you are marking as a RB, your direct man so to speak, you must leave your man, and plug the gap and stop the immediate danger. You cannot, as a defender, say, 'what if the ball passes this guy and reaches the man I just left free?'. If it does, it does. When you make a move to cover the free unmarked man, it is down to your closest teammate to take over your man and mark him. We have two players marking nobody in the area close to the one the future goalscorer is. Carles Perez, and Roberto. From these two Carles Perez needs to take over that player. He doesn't, and he scores.

Semedo's course of action here is pretty much spot on. Nothing he could've done differenty.
semedo1.jpg

He could've done something like this. Stay with his man, leave the gap in the middle without attempting to go compact. That is not what he is supposed to do when faced with a similar situation.
semedo2.jpg

serghei

I said that I don't read books and articles about movement, how to avoid pressure, how to switch positions.

You don't need to graduate football classes on Harvard to see that Semedo is braindead in attack and has flaws which can never be fixed.
He is good for a mighty Anfield game or against Rm, Atletico and top sides.

In La liga, against Mickey Mouse clubs like Osasuna, he is one of the weakest links since we need to attack and create all the time.

I know, I know, you will say that if we had Frenkie-Arthur, we would create enough of chances.

But still, why have only 2-3 creative players when you can have 6?
Why have 1 guy who can score if you can have 5?

CL and La liga require different approaches.
In a match like yesterday, we could have survived and won with Busi-Rafinha-Cou midfield.
Yet, you can't do that on Anfield.

Roberto is better against Osasuna.
Semedo is better for Anfield.

You guys have lost a touch with reality with obsession with Anfield.
If we will play easy matches with a lineup which would be good for Anfield, we will never win La Liga.

At Anfield, play with players who are good against Liverpool.
Against Osasuna, play players who will have 70% of possession, who will create, dribble and score.

For Anfield, you need tall defenders to defend against Liverpool's corners.
For Osasuna, you don't need that.
For Liverpool, you need a team of technical players who can run a lot.
For Osasuna you don't.
Here you can field a slower, technical, less combative team, who will create 8-10 chances due to a pure difference in quality and that's it.
On Anfield, you need 100s of different things which you don't need at all at Pamplona.

Semedo is one of those things.
Again, you don't need a Harvard degree to figure out that.

:rofl1: Had to man, for the bolded part. Just had to. You think we're winning La Liga because we're playing Rakitic at CM and Roberto at RB, how clueless you have to be to really believe that. Did Roberto score some golazo vs Osasuna, did he make a brilliant assist I missed, did he dribbled past 2-3 guys and played a brilliant through ball for a great team goal? Lol. No dude, he did pretty much what Semedo did in the first half. Was ok defensively and mediocre in attack.

Only you can believe that a line-up who is good for Anfield will not be good for Osasuna away. I mean, what the fuck! How do you make this up? That's whay you said about Arthur too, that he is good only when pressed. But the man was far and away our best player vs Osasuna.

Last edited:

Lapi

People need to stop comparing him to Dani Alves, who was one of the greatest FB’s in modern history. There are literally no Dani Alves’ at the moment.

Semedo is fast, has good technique and is very good defending 1v1 situations which Barca FB’s are often presented with. He’s also pretty strong and athletic - or strong enough. He has a couple areas to improve in, notably his final ball, which I believe is still down to a confidence issue rather than any inherent flaws in his game.

There are not many better out there. Cancelo can’t defend. Walker is all pace and strength, but dare I say plays in a much more progressive side. TAA is caught out of position more than he’s not. Carvajal has regressed and often looks one of Madrid’s weaker players. I can only think of Kimmich who is overall probably the best rounded RB at the moment, but he too can be got at defensively.

Semedo is not an area of concern. Valverde just needs to give him continuity and stop hauling him off at HT when he has an indifferent half of football like the rest of the players in the team seem to end up having a lot too.

I don’t think he was particularly at fault for the goal either. He was the only player actually marking anyone.

Perfectly said.
BTW, the first goal was Roberto's fault.

serghei

I said that I don't read books and articles about movement, how to avoid pressure, how to switch positions.

You don't need to graduate football classes on Harvard to see that Semedo is braindead in attack and has flaws which can never be fixed.
He is good for a mighty Anfield game or against Rm, Atletico and top sides.

You need medium understanding regarding football tactics, to make the distinction between terrible management, and terrible players. You do not have this distinction, because, as I said in the past, everything wrong with a team for you is about the players not being good. Which is hilarious since you support a club with has access to the finest players around. I'd understand your comments if you'd be supporting Brighton. Sure, players aren't good man, what can you do...

A person like you is easily proven wrong, when you compare teams performing to different degrees of success with different managers. For example, Madrid with Benitez, compared with Madrid with Zidane. Same team, same players, completely different results and football success.

Management and tactics are the most important things at a football team past a certain level. The difference between the players in competitions like CL is not as big to make management and tactics anything less than a key factor. Sure, a Barcelona team with an average manager would tear appart a team like Astana, or BATE Borisov eve if they had Pep as manager. But when you face similar teams, with similar players (a tad less talented), only managed to a much much high degree of competence, the difference is felt instantly.

Your best example is Liverpool. That team under a different manager would not get anywhere near close to two back to back CL finals, and a CL title. Ultimate proof that management is key. But you just disregard that in a way which is incredible really. A fundamental thing in football that you almost completely erase from any of your arguments.

Like seriously, when you speak about Valverde's Barcelona the tactics - players bashing (stats, numbers etc.) ratio is 1% to 99%. Every single time.

Your comment would normally look like:

Valverde is an average manager...

But...

Followed by 4566 rows in which you pretend the first sentence you wrote doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Cool

The goal is not his fault, look at the picture and ask yourself these questions:

What was Roberto doing?
What was De Jong doing?
What was Perez doing?

Our whole defensive organization is a mess, It’s not just Semedo, we’re getting destroyed through the left side because Alba leaves a huge gap behind him which leads to Lenglet to move wide to try to cover him and end up flat on his ass.

Not defending Semedo, nor am I attacking any of these players. But, the only one I’m pointing at is Valvarde because he is our “coach” and I use that term lightly, he’s supposed to see how defensively fragile we are and try to fix it.

Like I said before, he’s done with Rakitic and now we will have to keep up with Roberto.

Danic

I said since yesterday that perez was just looking and semedo was already marking a player.
But ofc some donkey was saying he cost us the goal. Arguing here is often like arguing with a wall.
No arguments whatever. Just posting some bullshit onliner.
Thats why i will stop posting in this Thread.

The interest from other top clubs for semedo showed me that i was absolutly right over the last year.
[MENTION=20452]Cool[/MENTION]
We get destroyed whenever a team is pressing us hard. And it always starts by a overrun midfield.
But its our defenders who look bad and thats why people are picking on them.

Last edited:
Perez: partly responsible for a goal against, assisted the Ansu goal and missed the go ahead goal.

Rhafina: wasted 45 minutes on the left wing thanks to Valverde.

Semedo: gets pulled by Valverde and blamed for the goal against? How about looking at the videos and pictures?

xxxxxx

I always said it was Pique's fault for the goal. Pique has started this season so poorly. His positioning has been awful.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
This guy is a major flop so far. Dani Alves' shoes are hard to fill but this guy had enough time and can't deliver.

Nazario1985

Defensively he is not bad, but for the offense he shock every time he needs to pass, Im sure he did it on some occasion were the game was very open but it's like counter-nature for him.

Waist of time with this guy, better form a more balanced youngster while playing SR

shadows

This guy is a major flop so far. Dani Alves' shoes are hard to fill but this guy had enough time and can't deliver.

As opposed to who? Roberto? The truth is there is no Dani Alves out there. He is probably the GOAT modern day RB in terms of what he brought to the table. Lets stop expecting everyone to be that level first of all. Second, why are we expecting Semedo to be this assist machine. Dont we have Alba already for that role? Do you want both the flanks to be defensive liabilities, considering we have Pique at the centre who is increasingly finding it hard to cover himself, let alone others :lol: and Semedo atleast attempts to cover for Pique and is a better defensive option. And finally, we had Eric Abidal to go with Alves during Pep`s time. Its not like he was dishing out assists all over the place

snowy

well if both our fullbacks have downtime, Valv could try a creative 3-4-3 with 3 CBs and 1 of the MFs dropping back to help out in def

chance to play deJ + Arthur + Puig + Alena at the same time

Home of Barca Fans