Nelson Semedo

mc_lovin

I wouldnt go as far as calling him a top player, but the right back market is thin. Cancelo was probably the best available right back and hes uninspiring as well. Our Roberto/Semedo duo is fine as long as noone great emerges.

It just happens to be that the one playing has an average game (because hes an average player) so people shout for the other - and then rinse and repeat.

serghei

I wouldnt go as far as calling him a top player, but the right back market is thin. Cancelo was probably the best available right back and hes uninspiring as well. Our Roberto/Semedo duo is fine as long as noone great emerges.

It just happens to be that the one playing has an average game (because hes an average player) so people shout for the other - and then rinse and repeat.

Yes, he is a top player. He wanted to move, but the club did not let him. Let's set that straight. He is not a player who we want to move because he is bad, and we struggle to find offers for. He is a player that had multiple offers but we refused to let him go.

He'd fucking kill it at teams like City, with how much space their system generates for fullbacks. Every game I see with City Walker has acres of space to run into, even though City play with parked buses all the time. How the hell can they generate that much space wide, but against us teams always outnumber us? That's what I call solid tactics, not the shit we see here.

City, Liverpool, Juventus, Atletico, PSG. Man this guy would be excellent there.

Did you miss the part when Semedo cost us a goal and gifted Osasuna the ball three times in a row?

Semedo did nothing wrong at the goal. It was a clear case of 3 vs 2 for Osasuna in the area of the ball (3 Osasuna players vs Pique and Semedo since Lenglet was very wide). Semedo had to try to stop the first danger.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

I think we just have a different definition of top player. For me there actually is no rightback at the moment who deserves that label. So we keep him, which is logical. Hes the next best thing.

MTL_Barca

You can make a distinction:
1. Bad in tactics
2. Bad in team's movement
3. GOAT in judging fraud overhyped players, unlike fans

Imo he failed at all 3. You simply made up some collective forum opinion to argue against and even decided the outcome of all of it to "prove" EV was right.

I'd still usually take Semedo over Sergi at RB for example, but that doesn't mean i think Semedo is the next Dani Alves.

Last edited:

serghei

I think we just have a different definition of top player. I think there actually is no rightback at the moment who deserves that label.

Yea, I can agree with that. We're not exactly talking about Alves, Lahm and Maicon anymore. But the points is Semedo is among the best. The standards in this position have dropped a lot. Walker for example is among the best but he makes 2-3 errors per game, often leading to conceded goals.

Carvajal is playing like shit, and Odriozola is terrible, clearly worse than Semedo. Atletico clearly aren't happy since they wanted Semedo. Juventus have De Sciglio which is nothing special either. Arnold from Liverpool is probably the best, but he has issues too.

Last edited:

Riordon

Looking forward to see Roberto back at RB. Enough of Semedo. At least Roberto has understanding of space, when and where to run and can play juego de posicion.

serghei

Looking forward to see Roberto back at RB. Enough of Semedo. At least Roberto has understanding of space, when and where to run and can play juego de posicion.

Ehh? By any chance watched the destruction of Roberto by Mane last year? :lol:

What did Roberto provide at RB in the 2nd half instead of Semedo? Nothing of note.

Semedo needs a run of games to catch and build consistency. For years Valverde is have him on and off, starting, then bench, then starting, then benched again. Do you see Walker getting the bench every time he fucks up at City? No. He played well vs Betis, mediocre vs Osasuna, like everyone else not named Arthur basically. Move on, play him again in the next games.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

The circle starts again. Its Robertos turn to play 3-5 average games at right back and then have people shout for Semedo again xD

Just lower your expectations. And realise that there are currently no great right backs. So be content with what we have - Atletico, Madrid etc pp are in the same situation (or worse).

Riordon

What did Roberto provide at RB in the 2nd half instead of Semedo? Nothing of note.

Watched the destruction of Semedo by Vinicius last year? Same Vinicius Roberto had in his pocket.

The overall play was way better as it always is with Roberto as a RB. Semedo play with his head down and has no understanding of space, shit movement and not a juego de posicion player.

mc_lovin

You wont find a clear winner in this Roberto-Semedo discussion. Both have pros and cons. None is prime Alves.

The best argument for Roberto and against Semedo is that Arthur plays CM, who is a much better talent than both.

Vilarrubi

Semedo needs a run of games to catch and build consistency. For years Valverde is have him on and off, starting, then bench, then starting, then benched again. Do you see Walker getting the bench every time he fucks up at City? No. He played well vs Betis, mediocre vs Osasuna, like everyone else not named Arthur basically. Move on, play him again in the next games.

+1

Semedo should be given a full season as a starting RB before full judgement is made, when he first joined some of his performances defensively were unreal against Juve, Madrid etc only to be rotated with Roberto.

Riordon

You wont find a clear winner in this Roberto-Semedo discussion. Both have pros and cons. None is prime Alves.

I agree. I have always preferred Roberto.

Cruyff sad that when two players are almost equally as good, then you play the La Masia kid.

serghei

I agree none is prime Alves. But Roberto is a midfielder. How the hell is a midfielder suddely good enough to replace a RB that has had offers from Atletico? Tell me please. Do you see Simeone signing Roberto to have him as a RB for Atletico? Lol.

Is Roberto even a starter for Spain at RB? Last time I checked Semedo started for Portugal in the Nations League final with Nederlands, and did it without any fault in defense.

mc_lovin

This whole "he had offers" and "hes starting for Portugal" thing has next to no meaning. The truth is: Roberto performed just as good as him. Simple as that.

I personally would start Semedo, because I think his speed offers attacking potential we are not using right now. But Roberto (especially for Valverde) is the easy choice: he plays more like a midfielder. And Valverde likes to stack the midfield and hope for Messi.

BBZ8800

But anyway, not surprised. You admitted yourself that you don't know much about tactics and such, and as a result you are not fit to evaluate a player.

I said that I don't read books and articles about movement, how to avoid pressure, how to switch positions.

You don't need to graduate football classes on Harvard to see that Semedo is braindead in attack and has flaws which can never be fixed.
He is good for a mighty Anfield game or against Rm, Atletico and top sides.

In La liga, against Mickey Mouse clubs like Osasuna, he is one of the weakest links since we need to attack and create all the time.

I know, I know, you will say that if we had Frenkie-Arthur, we would create enough of chances.

But still, why have only 2-3 creative players when you can have 6?
Why have 1 guy who can score if you can have 5?

CL and La liga require different approaches.
In a match like yesterday, we could have survived and won with Busi-Rafinha-Cou midfield.
Yet, you can't do that on Anfield.

Roberto is better against Osasuna.
Semedo is better for Anfield.

You guys have lost a touch with reality with obsession with Anfield.
If we will play easy matches with a lineup which would be good for Anfield, we will never win La Liga.

At Anfield, play with players who are good against Liverpool.
Against Osasuna, play players who will have 70% of possession, who will create, dribble and score.

For Anfield, you need tall defenders to defend against Liverpool's corners.
For Osasuna, you don't need that.
For Liverpool, you need a team of technical players who can run a lot.
For Osasuna you don't.
Here you can field a slower, technical, less combative team, who will create 8-10 chances due to a pure difference in quality and that's it.
On Anfield, you need 100s of different things which you don't need at all at Pamplona.

Semedo is one of those things.
Again, you don't need a Harvard degree to figure out that.

Home of Barca Fans