Nelson Semedo

serghei

None of them bar Montoya played there even close to as regular as this and even he offered more going forward than Semedo shown so far.

Aaaand... that's it. You've gone too far. Semedo is better than Montoya at everything associated to the RB position. And he is better that Roberto at a lot of important aspects as well.

jamrock

Don't tend to agree with jamdav on much but he is kinda right, Montoya did offer more in his limited time at the club going forward, not saying it's a lot but more that semedo so far who just seems lost in attack & really isn't much of a defender either bar his great pace.

But as I said I was I am wrong about him though I was saying he was meh at the start of the season when everyone was like ohhh he is go great for what exactly I don't know.

serghei

The thing with Semedo is that he is not yet gelled with his teammates. If you look at the games, even in the cases where Roberto and Semedo make the same kind of runs in behind, Roberto is picked up with a pass simply because the players know him more. A lot of times it doesn't have to do with a player executing a run better than another, but with teammates having players they trust more. Roberto has been with this team for years and years, while Semedo was just signed this season. What is happening is normal. Comparing Semedo with Montoya is hilarious. One is limited by his poor in-game IQ, poor technique and other factors that can't be improved at this stage, and one is a player with clear qualities and abilities that is in his normal adaptation period.

jamrock

Don't think he is saying Montoya is In anyways better.

The difference between Roberto and semedo is that one as been playing football since he was probably 5 years old, while semedo started as 16, Roberto is just a better football player that semedo, who only offers pace

I think if Roberto accepts in his mind that I am a RB this is how things have worked out for me in order to play at the highest level, then semedo as zero chance to be our starting RB.

But Roberto clearly wanted to he Midfielder and I want him there as the long term replacement for rakitic.

serghei

Don't think he is saying Montoya is In anyways better.

The difference between Roberto and semedo is that one as been playing football since he was probably 5 years old, while semedo started as 16, Roberto is just a better football player that semedo, who only offers pace

I think if Roberto accepts in his mind that I am a RB this is how things have worked out for me in order to play at the highest level, then semedo as zero chance to be our starting RB.

But Roberto clearly wanted to he Midfielder and I want him there as the long term replacement for rakitic.

Semedo doesn't offer just pace, that's gross exaggeration. Semedo is a very good dribbler, he is strong, agressive, very very hard to beat in 1 vs 1, can cover a very large area in defense basically allowing our two CBs to drift towards the left where Alba goes up very very high all the time. And that athleticism (pace, power, speed) you talk lightly about are key attributes in a fullback. The ability to hold your own against your direct opponent, sometimes even against two, somtimes going in the center and stoping counters when our CBs get pulled around or overran by faster players, those are basically the bread and butter of a top RB most of the time.

You thick them at 'just pace'.

Last edited:

jamrock

Semedo doesn't offer just pace, that's gross exaggeration. Semedo is a very good dribbler, he is strong, agressive, very very hard to beat in 1 vs 1, can cover a very large area in defense basically allowing our two CBs to drift towards the left where Alba goes up very very high all the time. And that athleticism (pace, power, speed) you talk lightly about are key attributes in a fullback. The ability to hold your own against your direct opponent, sometimes even against two, somtimes going in the center and stoping counters when our CBs get pulled around or overran by faster players, those are basically the bread and butter of a top RB most of the time.

You thick them at 'just pace'.

Almost everything you just said is based around his pace, good dribbler, not in tight spaces because his dribbling is build around pace.

Very strong I don't know what that as to do with anything, Alves isn't strong but he knew how to use his body.

All his best attributes are primarily build around how fast he is, he needs to work to use that pace more effectively and he will be good for us.

Walker at City is a player that is very pacy but uses i effectively under pep, that should be semedos goal.

serghei

Almost everything you just said is based around his pace, good dribbler, not in tight spaces because his dribbling is build around pace.

Very strong I don't know what that as to do with anything, Alves isn't strong but he knew how to use his body.

All his best attributes are primarily build around how fast he is, he needs to work to use that pace more effectively and he will be good for us.

Walker at City is a player that is very pacy but uses i effectively under pep, that should be semedos goal.

Semedo uses his pace well. Been helping out our CBs at stopping counters in almost every game. Needs to work more on his runs, but also our players should play him more as well.

Of course most of his attributes are built on speed and pace. It's important to also be strong so you don't back off physical duels. Semedo dominated a strong and fast winger like Douglas Costa in CL on Camp Nou using his speed and strenght very well. That's basically a very big part of being a fullback, to hold on, on your own, against fast and aggressive wingers. You have to answer with speed and strenght as well. You don't have that, you'll gonna run into trouble as a RB. I'm not sure Roberto is fast and strong enough to individually dominate opponents. Last season he was bad at those kind of things.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I mean our best Fullback (Alba) relies a lot of pace as well, going forward and defending as well.

He has to use it in this system as he's providing the width going forward in this 4-4-2 Valverde has setup and he has to have the pace to track back in a hurry if are getting countered.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Alba is on a completely another level and at Semedo's age was already world class.

Anyone thinking Portuguese will become class are overly optimistic to put it mildly.

Pedram123

Semedo lacks football iq - He is a good player but thats not enough to be a barca starter.
He might get better though especially considering he is in the right environment with world class players and he is still (relatively) young.

henias

Alba is on a completely another level and at Semedo's age was already world class.

Anyone thinking Portuguese will become class are overly optimistic to put it mildly.

Give him time. He had a great start this season, but subsequently seemed to have lost his confidence. He's a completely different player in Benfica.

5ergio_Busquets

Semedo is a much more complete RB than Roberto. He is better defensively, faster (which is required in a fullback) and stronger. He is also a good dribbler and his passing and vision are underrated, just remember that amazing pass to Denis vs Celta in the Copa for example. The comparison in the attacking third at the moment is unfair because Roberto is originally an attacking midfielder, so surely he should be better at passing and keeping the ball. Also Roberto has played at RB since 2016 so it's normal that he has a better understanding with his team mates.
It's incredible how many people quickly forgot his fantastic performance at the start of the season and went from comparing him to Dani Alves to comparing him to Montoya!
The fullback is a particularly difficult position to play in the Barca system and players need time to adapt. I think it's just a matter of time until Semedo sends Roberto back to where he belongs: the midfield.

LeeRomeno

Do i understand correctly, that if Deulofeu has a good start of season and then gradually declines and gets sent out on loan, the common understanding is that he is not good enough and he is only good until opposition defense learns how to play against him.
If Semedo on the other hand has a good start of season and then gradually declines, it is still matter of "confidence" or any other bs excuse, but no way in hell it cannot be true that maybe he just is not cut out to be Barca starter and opposition defense has found out how to play against him?

Zincubus

Banned
I still have high hopes for Samedo ... I reckon his problem is that he's being partnered by different players on the right and none of them have done well there ..

It's easy for Alba to link up with Messi on the left ...

5ergio_Busquets

Do i understand correctly, that if Deulofeu has a good start of season and then gradually declines and gets sent out on loan, the common understanding is that he is not good enough and he is only good until opposition defense learns how to play against him.
If Semedo on the other hand has a good start of season and then gradually declines, it is still matter of "confidence" or any other bs excuse, but no way in hell it cannot be true that maybe he just is not cut out to be Barca starter and opposition defense has found out how to play against him?
No you don't.

Home of Barca Fans