Nelson Semedo

xXKonan

and we expect him to stop Neymar lol
Again who can? the only way anyone could stop him when he was still with us is when he got tripled team. There's no RB in the world than can stop Neymar in a 1v1 situation. hell even Carvajal who's considered the best RB in the world always had trouble against Neymar.

Alves needed all the help he can to try and neutralize him as well when we played Juve.

Kohe321

Semedo is obviously talented, but his footballing IQ is still somewhat crude, not to mention he's new with the team and not yet a well oiled part of the machinery, which itself isn't so well oiled right now either. A lot of his effectiveness with us has been down to his raw athleticism, and if he's tired that obviously has a big negative effect on him.

If I recall correctly he ran like 11-12 kilometers in just over 60 minutes in one of his first games with us. That's pretty intense.

Trafalgar

Again who can? the only way anyone could stop him when he was still with us is when he got tripled team. There's no RB in the world than can stop Neymar in a 1v1 situation. hell even Carvajal who's considered the best RB in the world always had trouble against Neymar.

Alves needed all the help he can to try and neutralize him as well when we played Juve.

I'm just aswering some members who said he'll stop Neymar cause he had a good game against RM and Real Bétis. I have nohing against Sémédo, he can be a good RB for us if Valverde gives him time.

xXKonan

I'm just aswering some members who said he'll stop Neymar cause he had a good game against RM and Real Bétis. I have nohing against Sémédo, he can be a good RB for us if Valverde gives him time.
Ehh considering the rotations this season at RB, it will be likely Roberto playing vs Neymar.

I dread the day that happens.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm not worried at all about him coming good.

Had absolutely no problems earlier in the season until he got benched for two or three games for the one he played. He'll get back and hopefully do better with that Dembele connection.

If people believe Roberto will not get burned 1v1 vs quick wingers then they slept through last season.

behindbrowneyes

Dude. Semedo HAS to cover both Guedes and the fullback because the space between him and Rakitic is too big and could potentially be exploited by a winger like Guedes.

As soon as Guedes recieves the ball from Parejo, he sizes up Semedo on the edge of the box. When the fullback begins making the run, Semedo has to keep covering Guedes because the space between him and Raki is too wide. So he can't pickup the run. What's happening here is a simple case of 2v1 because Raki is simply in no mans land without the ability to make an impact on the play. Had he left Guedes to pickup the fullback, Guedes would have had the drop on Raki who as we all know is slow as hell and would not be able to intervene with Guedes running at full speed.

I am of the same opinion.
In a classic 4-3-3 the right winger has to help his right-back when the opposing left-back is attacking. Just saw the video of Dembélé vs Juve and he followed Alex Sandro when he received the ball until he lost it. I remember that everyone praised Semedo after the game because he completely shut down their left side. In the end it was a great task by him and Dembélé and if you have a great winger in front of you the opposing left-back can do less offensively. I think this is one of the weaknesses of our actual system. We don't play a classic 4-4-2 with a right midfielder so the full-backs get exposed when the opposing team is attacking with 2 players on one wing.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Semedo needed to follow Gaya but he failed. Also, it wasn't his only mistake in the match. Honeymoon is over and maybe it's better that we don't have too high expectations from him.

henias

People blaming him for the overlapping run is thoroughly absurd, Guedes and Gaya are a huge headache for many other opponents alike, yet Semedo has no support on the right side, people expect him to cover and mark them both is ridiculous.

And I feel he could be good if there weren't so much pressure on him. Valverde subbing him for Aleix Vidal is a massive confidence crusher, he was even considered a second rate RB to Sergi Roberto. Yet Suarez and Rakitic has been given way too much minutes to "find their form", yet havent done so till now.

Valverde and fans are all being overly harsh on him and he's the type of player that needs that recognition and assurance to be able to truly establish himself and grow. Ever since he joined Barcelona, I could see he was very happy and humble, his demeanor shouts his ready to learn and be part of the first team, but ever since Valverde benched him straight and crucified him against Atletico, that was it. It took a massive toll on his confidence; he looks lost and nervous, he doesnt even know if he shud defend more or attack more, as a result, he looks very static and unproductive. Now people keeps judging him for mistakes and it will only take a downward spiral. People have to know he lacks solid experience in the first team and hasnt quite blended in, considering theres so many rotations. No identity, no style. Poor lad is lost. And I don't blame him for that. If one even think Aleix Vidal could have done a better job at tracking Guedes, Barcelona might not have just conceded one then.

Not expecting him to transform into a beast overnight, but at least, people shud be more reasonable and realistic.

Last edited:

serghei

People blaming him for the overlapping run is thoroughly absurd, Guedes and Gaya are a huge headache for many other opponents alike, yet Semedo has no support on the right side, people expect him to cover and mark them both is ridiculous.

And I feel he could be good if there weren't so much pressure on him. Valverde subbing him for Aleix Vidal is a massive confidence crusher, he was even considered a second rate RB to Sergi Roberto. Yet Suarez and Rakitic has been given way too much minutes to "find their form", yet havent done so till now.

Valverde and fans are all being overly harsh on him and he's the type of player that needs that recognition and assurance to be able to truly establish himself and grow. Ever since he joined Barcelona, I could see he was very happy and humble, his demeanor shouts his ready to learn and be part of the first team, but ever since Valverde benched him straight and crucified him against Atletico, that was it. It took a massive toll on his confidence; he looks lost and nervous, he doesnt even know if he shud defend more or attack more, as a result, he looks very static and unproductive. Now people keeps judging him for mistakes and it will only take a downward spiral. People have to know he lacks solid experience in the first team and hasnt quite blended in, considering theres so many rotations. No identity, no style. Poor lad is lost. And I don't blame him for that. If one even think Aleix Vidal could have done a better job at tracking Guedes, Barcelona might not have just conceded one then.

Not expecting him to transform into a beast overnight, but at least, people shud be more reasonable and realistic.

Well said.

JamDav1982

Dont agree about the defending v Valencia and think he should do better but that has been discussed.

The rest of it is just excuses and if he is that mentally weak it is a problem.

Plenty of players, in fact the majority who sign for Real or Barca as youngish players will get rotated in the early stages and have to perform when get given a chance to prove they should play more.

You have it wrong way round though when mentioning the Atletico game. He was taken off because he was doing nothing going forward and just before came off actually just booted the ball out for a goal kick to them.

Roberto was taken on to provide more going forward as Aletico by that point were virtually leaving Semedo and Alba free. Roberto came on and assisted the equaliser.

Valverde made 100% the correct decision in that game to take him off and it worked. If Semedo cant handle that it is his own problem.

This idea that Valverde has destroyed his confidence is pathetic.

Hopefully he gets better but he has not been treated badly by Valverde in any way shape or form.

henias

Dont agree about the defending v Valencia and think he should do better but that has been discussed.

The rest of it is just excuses and if he is that mentally weak it is a problem.

Plenty of players, in fact the majority who sign for Real or Barca as youngish players will get rotated in the early stages and have to perform when get given a chance to prove they should play more.

You have it wrong way round though when mentioning the Atletico game. He was taken off because he was doing nothing going forward and just before came off actually just booted the ball out for a goal kick to them.

Roberto was taken on to provide more going forward as Aletico by that point were virtually leaving Semedo and Alba free. Roberto came on and assisted the equaliser.

Valverde made 100% the correct decision in that game to take him off and it worked. If Semedo cant handle that it is his own problem.

This idea that Valverde has destroyed his confidence is pathetic.

Hopefully he gets better but he has not been treated badly by Valverde in any way shape or form.

How can u possibly compare Sergi Roberto to Semedo? Roberto is a La Masia product and already has loads of experience in the first team since 2 years ago but tat guy is still no natural right back, regardless or not he did put a good cross, or simply had the vision to pick out Suarez. Player of his talent shud be used more in midfield as he was clearly better at dribbling and passing.

I'm not saying Semedo is gonna transform into a beast after few games with Barcelona, but Semedo HAD a promising start, even Suarez back in the days were struggling when he first started before the whole MSN thing. Semedo clearly had the momentum, and this was crucial but Valverde benched him straight for few games before the big Atletico game. Whether or not he was poor in the Atletico game, he shud be given more consistent time to establish himself.

Nothing abt being "mentally weak", just a foolish and senseless statement; you know nothing abt having that pressure on the pitch and he is clearly still new to the Barca system.

Full backs need good supports bcos they are mainly isolated on the flanks, Dani Alves with Messi is clearly one good example. But Semedo with Gomes, Semedo with Rakitic? Come on. Roberto was paired with Deulofeu. Even Roberto with Semedo would be great. I agree maybe he needs to work on his crossing but he still needs to lay down that foundation and connection first before everything else. I'm sure everything will come naturally.

In any case, Semedo showed he's capable against Murcia as Aleix Vidal connected well with him with 1-2s, even with Alena, so that he is able to run down the right flank to put in a clean cross. His pace shud be utilised, with our lack of wingers, but he simply needs a good support, no 2 ways abt it. Also, no point being overly harsh on him, and people being "critics" and "experts" for the sake of being it. If thats the case, players like Suarez shud be exiled considering his bad run of games. There's clearly some culmination of factors that stinting his development right now, that I cant ignore, rather than simply sticking to the belief that "maybe he's just not good enough". If people are so critical and unrealistic, we will never be able to find the "perfect RB" even if there is one. Even Paco Alcacer who seemed "useless" initially now seem to be an asset.

He is slowly regaining his confidence, but if Valverde decides to pair him with Rakitic in a 442 setup again, he simply cant do much.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

The biggest problem with the right flank is Rakitic, Gomes or whoever the fuck is playing in that midfield or striker position. The fullback is pretty much always left isolated. We saw it last season with Roberto too.

If Valverde can stop rotating so much and let Semedo and Roberto play on that right side consistently we will see both develop. At the moment we don't have a settled first Eleven and Valverde is even fucking with Messi's position.

jairzinho

As far as i'm concerned, he's put in more positive games than bad ones which speaks volumes of a kid that's just started playing in our system.

Home of Barca Fans