Negative Thinking Cules

KingLeo10

We're finished for the next 3 years, I assume.

There is no coming back from this quickly, not under these economic conditions and a global pandemic crippling our revenues.

It's over, for a long time, dawg.

Poch or a similar caliber manager, no amigos (not even Messi), and we're at least putting respectable showings in CL, my dude.

KingLeo10

True. Not expecting to win CL anytime soon but we can have a decent showing at least soon enough.

CL wins are rare unless the stars really align. Bayern have won 2 in the last 20 years but they don't get blown out year after year do they?

It's ok to lose. Just no disaster classes.

Devils

Poch or a similar caliber manager, no amigos (not even Messi), and we're at least putting respectable showings in CL, my dude.

With who though?

We need to phase out: Messi, Suarez, Alba, Rakitic, Pique, Vidal, Busi

Who we have in between: FDJ, Lenglet (questionable), Dembele (if he's not sold or injured lmao), Griezmann (questionable), Coutinho (lol who are we kidding he wont even be here), Pjanic (who knows if he will be good or not)

Promising youngsters: Puig, Fati, Pedri, Garcia(?), Araujo

Not Good enough: Semedo, Firpo, Umtiti, Braithwaite

So basically we have a large number of starting players who need to be phased out due to age. Our in between players are highly questionable in terms of quality/fit or just not good enough with De Jong being the only one who is actually looking like a sure thing.

Then you have a promising set of youngsters who could come good but they are still far off from it.

For me, this is a massive gaps in this squad that will take 3 years or more to fix.

Last edited:

jamrock

Yep definitely will take at least 3 years to fix, which is why we should have started gradually 3 years ago, but nooooo, the board......

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
So there are 2 rumors floating around right now and 1 of them has to be wrong.

They can't offer Poch the job and an entire contract if the reports at the same time say that they are about to call elections. So either the Pochettino reports are BS or the election ones are.

Knowing our luck there won't be elections. And Pochettino is smart and level headed, unlike Setien. However he is a consolidator that doesn't take possible risks or think very progressively, so there is basically 0 chance he can turn this team around fast via a huge squad overhaul. He'll stick with most of the veterans from this season, maybe 1 or 2 gone at most.

But if elections do happen, I think this is a potential for a new beginning. A truly new project would not want a lot of the dead wood including most of the Amigos. Granted a new beginning isn't necessarily a good thing right away. A new young core with the likes of FDJ/Ansu/Puig/Pedri/etc. will need time to grow and more pieces added to them.

Ultimately, this all means that Messi's career here is basically over and he wouldn't win a CL again here unless he plays till he's like 37 lol. Cause even with the fast rebuilds/turnarounds we've seen from other teams, Barca are at minimum 2-3 years away from being real contenders again.

serghei

Yep definitely will take at least 3 years to fix, which is why we should have started gradually 3 years ago, but nooooo, the board......

What does it mean fix? In less than 2 seasons after the veterans are gone and we get back in shape, we will improve our performances in CL. Not hard to improve a 2-8 in the quarters.

We need Messi's immense wage off the wage bill. Parting way with Messi now is the best decision we could make.

Sailor Mars

Would Poch even take the job given that there will he elections next year? The new president would want to bring in their own people and possibly a new manager.

DennyCrane

The consensus atm is that Barca needs to rebuild. Whether this is possible with this club's structure remains to be seen; however the process of rebuilding takes several years and probably isn't even possible to the necessary degree in modern football. Rebuilding implies that everything that turned out to be fragile and rotten has to be cut off: Starting with the squad, who would be left ? Ansu, FdJ, Puig, Dembele maybe, and not much else. Rebuilding then means to buy and sell dozens (!) of players over the next few years, while the signings will have to turn out stellar; or be patient and build up the cantera players. If Barca were to do that, is it still competitive in the meantime or would this rebuild see us relegated to the mid-table ?

Then we need a coach willing to start from the ground up and committing to it for several years. In a day and age where coaches switch clubs every two years, who would do that ?

The socios need to vote a new board in. After the experience of the last several years - are we to believe they will ?

Everybody knows what is necessary. Is it likely a rebuild will happen or is is more likely that the managed decline will continue ? I think the latter is more likely. Dark days ahead.

brockg777

Haven't been blind to this situation, have seen it get worse and worse the last 5 years but I'm still gutted how bad that game was. I'm taking it personally, I don't know why. I think being in Anfield last year left me with PTSD. These humiliating defeats are destroying the legacy that these players had previously built.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
First and foremost we need to build a team that plays entertaining football, forget about trophies for a while. It's really sad to see not only that we are losing, getting humiliated, but we are buying players who should be playing for Atletico Madrid instead of Barca while teams like Bayern, City and Liverpool are buying players who should be playing for us. It's really hard to watch so many players (like Semedo, Griezmann, Roberto) struggling in this team then they shouldn't be in here in the first place.

JamDav1982

First and foremost we need to build a team that plays entertaining football, forget about trophies for a while. It's really sad to see not only that we are losing, getting humiliated, but we are buying players who should be playing for Atletico Madrid instead of Barca while teams like Bayern, City and Liverpool are buying players who should be playing for us. It's really hard to watch so many players (like Semedo, Griezmann, Roberto) struggling in this team then they shouldn't be in here in the first place.

First and foremost need a team that work hard and have the legs to compete and a coach with full control of squad.

serghei

The consensus atm is that Barca needs to rebuild. Whether this is possible with this club's structure remains to be seen; however the process of rebuilding takes several years and probably isn't even possible to the necessary degree in modern football. Rebuilding implies that everything that turned out to be fragile and rotten has to be cut off: Starting with the squad, who would be left ? Ansu, FdJ, Puig, Dembele maybe, and not much else. Rebuilding then means to buy and sell dozens (!) of players over the next few years, while the signings will have to turn out stellar; or be patient and build up the cantera players. If Barca were to do that, is it still competitive in the meantime or would this rebuild see us relegated to the mid-table ?

Then we need a coach willing to start from the ground up and committing to it for several years. In a day and age where coaches switch clubs every two years, who would do that ?

The socios need to vote a new board in. After the experience of the last several years - are we to believe they will ?

Everybody knows what is necessary. Is it likely a rebuild will happen or is is more likely that the managed decline will continue ? I think the latter is more likely. Dark days ahead.

The way I see it, midtable would be out of the question. CL places guaranteed imo, due to the high discrepancy in La Liga in terms of financial power. In other words, 2 of Valencia/Villareal/Bilbao/Sevilla/Getafe will not be able to keep up with even a decreased and heavily changed version of Barcelona.

CL we won't win again for the next 5 years no matter what we do. With a rebuild now, we can maybe win it in 4-5 years, if, as you say, we get several things spot on in terms of proper board, great manager, and some key signings being on the money in the nexy 2 seasons or so.

serghei

For now, 3 steps are needed and all should be set in motion soon, over the next 6-12 months or so. New board + new manager + setting the ground to move on all the veterans. All done with a medium-long term view ahead. Minimum of 2 seasons, up to 3-4.

Home of Barca Fans