Michael Laudrup

F

felderkirk

He was the player who most amazed me when I first started supporting Barcelona. His vision was like nobody else at the time - except perhaps for his fellow Dane Jan Molby. It's funny though, I always felt that the Cruyff Dream Team eventually developed an overpowering collections of egos that ultimately proved to be our downfall. Laudrup was just one of a handful of players who seemed to develop a bit of a headstrong attitude. I'm not suggesting that players should not have a say in proceedings - I just feel that that particular side seemed to develop an element of players who started believing their own hype and felt they were bigger than the club. Laudrup cited 'the hunger of the Real Madrid team' as his reason for leaving. I personally think it could partly have been a knee-jerk, emotional reaction to his apparent arguments with Cruyff. He could have gone anywhere in the world. Milan would have snapped him up too.

In 1992, Laudrup's unwillingness to compromise saw him quit the Danish national side due to a disagreement with the manager at the time. He subsequently missed out on Denmark's greatest footballing moment when they won the European Championships. I reckon this was something that irked him for the rest of his career.

Personally, I think he's a player who could have become one of our untouchable legends. However, his choices were questionable. But, politics aside, I still think of his style of play and his ability to pick out an overlapping full-back with a through-ball and I think it has helped to shape how our current side plays football. Without Laudrup, there would have been no Dream Team. And arguably, Guardiola, Xavi and Iniesta would not be the players they were/are.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Just saw him the other day at an Italian restaurant in Mallorca.

Guy likes Italian food it seems.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Really interesting programme on him the other day.

You know the football greatest series, well they did a programme on him. Really interesting stuff.

The most interesting thing was that he stated the reasons why he left Barca for Real Madrid. He said it wasn't out of hatred for Cruyff, because he loved Barcelona and admired Cruyff a lot. But he said he needed a new challenge and recognised that at the 1994 world cup most of Barca's players were at that tournament, whilst only 5 Real players were at that tournament and he believed Barca would have a poor 94/95 season because of this and thought Real stood a great chance of winning la liga.

He also stated he was very close to signing for Liverpool. He agreed a 3 year deal with us, then at literally the last minute we wanted to make it a 4 year deal, he said no and went to Juventus instead.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Really interesting programme on him the other day.

You know the football greatest series, well they did a programme on him. Really interesting stuff.

The most interesting thing was that he stated the reasons why he left Barca for Real Madrid. He said it wasn't out of hatred for Cruyff, because he loved Barcelona and admired Cruyff a lot. But he said he needed a new challenge and recognised that at the 1994 world cup most of Barca's players were at that tournament, whilst only 5 Real players were at that tournament and he believed Barca would have a poor 94/95 season because of this and thought Real stood a great chance of winning la liga.

He also stated he was very close to signing for Liverpool. He agreed a 3 year deal with us, then at literally the last minute we wanted to make it a 4 year deal, he said no and went to Juventus instead.

Interesting that Liverpool has a long history of almost signing players.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Sadly it seems he turned down the offer of coaching the Danish national team once Olsen retires (after the Euro is my guess).

Would've been so awesome if he accepted it.

Andersen22

"Who is the best player in history? Laudrup."
-Iniesta.
"The best player in the world, I can't believe he hasn't won the title as best player."
-Guardiola.

M

mitkoa7x

He left us for Madrid if im not mistaken, why the reverence for his guy?

Home of Barca Fans