Michael Laudrup

J

Jordzibob

I hate him. He's a traitor as far as I'm concerned.

This.

Idc what his motivation was, money or whatever. Fuck him, he made the move, just like Figo. The second you make that move, your just as bad. Move elsewhere, but dont leave and go to Madrid. It's the ultimate backstab.

E

eriksen

When you analyze Laudrup's situation at the time, he does come off better than Figo. A player of Laudrup's calibre could only play in three countries: Italy, England and Spain. All other leagues were too small. He had already been six years in Italy and didn't want to go back since the defensive style of play there didn't suit him. So Italy was out of the question.

England, then? Well, he didn't receive a single offer from any English clubs at the time, so what was he to do? England was out of the question as well.

That only left Spain, the country he loved. And if a player of Laudrup's calibre is to play in Spain, there are only two clubs big enough to have him. One of those two clubs didn't appreciate him and left him on the bench. That left only one club in the world he could play for.

Add to that, that Laudrup underestimated the hatred between the two clubs and you have a recipe for a controversial move. Was Laudrup a bit naive when he was surprised at how much the Barca fans hated him for moving to Madrid? Sure.

But he never had anything but respect for the fans and expected they wouldn't hate a man they had loved so much and with whom they had been through so many good things. To Laudrup, it was about playing and winning football games. To Barca fans, it was about Barca winning. Those two ideas clashed.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
To try explain it further, Barca, at that time, signed Romario and thus had 4 foreigners and could play only 3. Laudrup wasn't chosen for CL final and that was that I guess.

E

eriksen

He had loose talks with Madrid in late '93 about how Barca didn't appreciate him and was told by the Madrid bosses that he would never be on the bench if he played for Madrid, and I think from then on Real Madrid was his plan B or C. But I think he would have preferred to stay with Barca or maybe move to England, especially after his '83 move to Liverpool was canceled at the last minute. In the press he would indirectly say that if only Cruyff would play him, he would stay. It was the semi-final against Porto especially that angered him. Cruyff had told him that if he did well when playing the European games, which he did, that he would also play against Porto. When Cruyff didn't keep his word and told him he wasn't playing, Laudrup became so angry that he left the stadium and went home. I think it was already at that point he realized he could work with Cruyff no longer. The final against Milan simply confirmed that thought.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
He had loose talks with Madrid in late '93 about how Barca didn't appreciate him and was told by the Madrid bosses that he would never be on the bench if he played for Madrid, and I think from then on Real Madrid was his plan B or C. But I think he would have preferred to stay with Barca or maybe move to England, especially after his '83 move to Liverpool was canceled at the last minute. In the press he would indirectly say that if only Cruyff would play him, he would stay. It was the semi-final against Porto especially that angered him. Cruyff had told him that if he did well when playing the European games, which he did, that he would also play against Porto. When Cruyff didn't keep his word and told him he wasn't playing, Laudrup became so angry that he left the stadium and went home. I think it was already at that point he realized he could work with Cruyff no longer. The final against Milan simply confirmed that thought.

I'm glad we signed Molby instead of Laudrup :D

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I still love Laudrup as a player, I just don't want him to ever have anything to do with the club again.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
He's an excellent coach, I think he's definitely capable of taking on a big club in the future. I can't seeing coming back to Barca though. It's not a link that has been rumoured or spoken about. Whereas the Figo anger still burns whenever his name is mentioned, there's a general indifference when it comes to Laudrup. The Madrid job is a definite possibility however.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
He's an excellent coach, I think he's definitely capable of taking on a big club in the future. I can't seeing coming back to Barca though. It's not a link that has been rumoured or spoken about. Whereas the Figo anger still burns whenever his name is mentioned, there's a general indifference when it comes to Laudrup. The Madrid job is a definite possibility however.
Thing about Laudrup is that he didn't just go for the money, he went because the lack of opportunities to play because of Cruyff

F

Flavia

“THIS IS THE BEST BARÇA EVER“

Exclusive interview with Laudrup

“My best years were the ones I spent playing in Barça“

“Messi is the most similar to Maradona“

I still can't forgive him for going to madrid, but it's good to know he considers his best year were at Barça.

javinglish

Little things like the above, those small details, make him still loved by a good bunch of Barça fans regardless of "you know what".

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Watching clips of how easily, seemingly, he just navigated through defenses with that silky control of his remains a pleasure...Just lovely, lovely ball control

La LL

Generally Delightful
When you analyze Laudrup's situation at the time, he does come off better than Figo. A player of Laudrup's calibre could only play in three countries: Italy, England and Spain. All other leagues were too small. He had already been six years in Italy and didn't want to go back since the defensive style of play there didn't suit him. So Italy was out of the question.

England, then? Well, he didn't receive a single offer from any English clubs at the time, so what was he to do? England was out of the question as well.

That only left Spain, the country he loved. And if a player of Laudrup's calibre is to play in Spain, there are only two clubs big enough to have him. One of those two clubs didn't appreciate him and left him on the bench. That left only one club in the world he could play for.

Add to that, that Laudrup underestimated the hatred between the two clubs and you have a recipe for a controversial move. Was Laudrup a bit naive when he was surprised at how much the Barca fans hated him for moving to Madrid? Sure.

But he never had anything but respect for the fans and expected they wouldn't hate a man they had loved so much and with whom they had been through so many good things. To Laudrup, it was about playing and winning football games. To Barca fans, it was about Barca winning. Those two ideas clashed.
100% this.

Being a Dane myself, I tend to hold Laudrup in high regard. Being a cule too, I tend to ignore or look away from the fact that he played for Real Madrid. My dad (who has strong ties to Barcelona and have lived there for some years) used to tell me about his feats back in Barcelona.

Nowadays Peter Schmeichel is hosting the countdown for the Champion's league on Danish television and it isn't unusual for Laudrup to drop by the studio when Barca is playing if he has time off from Mallorca or is in the country. That being said you can still see he harbors lots of admiration and loyalty to Barca, much more than Real Madrid (haven't personally seen him appear for any pre-Madrid talks but then again, if Danish TV has to pick between the showing of a barca game or a madrid game, Barca will usually win. No contest. They're quite beloved and famous up here). Watching him talking about their style, their abilities and their players is like watching a wide-eyed schoolboy. I'm telling you, the guy is a Barca man all the way.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans