Mavericky Puig

George_Costanza

22 minutes doesn't mean anything, that number could be 0 and the fact would still remain, the kid has the body of a 14 year old girl, and no matter how skilled you are, that is just not going to work at the highest level. Even Qique, who is desperate to play that high passing, possession style, couldn't justify giving him more minutes when we're in such a tense point of our season. I imagine he's *really* bemoaning the loss of Alena, who is superior in just about every way... but alas.

"Body of 14 years old girl", he is 5'6 (169) and his weight 56-57 KG, Now get this medical info, the ideal weight for a guy his height is between 57 and max 71. Nearly everyone looks small when they are 18-20 playing against grown men. Messi's weight was around that at his age. Now not sure why Riqui wears his jersey 2 sizes too big, makes him look too small.

I don't doubt that his ability can make up for his lack of physicality, and the games he played so far, I didn't see any issue him being small. He continues to mature, and if he focuses on fitness, he could add some muscle and weight to his frame.

You know, I will ignore that this is a very weak analogy, and that La Masia is actually a school and will roll with your example.
We have a firm called FCB, that firm can not employ more than 25 employee full time. OTOH they have a 23 management trainee whom they can't continue to be a trainee more than 3 years, every year there is another 15 new candidate applying to be trainee too.

Do you accept a turnover rate over of 10-15 employee annually? or you have to cut some of those early on and be blunt with them? Tell them they don't belong to the big boys and should try their luck somewhere else?

"Weak analogy", actually it's a perfect analogy, La Masia is not like any school, the kids trained the Barca way. Can you find me a school or Uni that trains you specifically to join a certain named company? Never heard such. Sure not everyone will make it but could you tell me how many made it under Bartomeu's leadership? Don't you think something wrong with this model? I don't want to go to an extreme analogy like yours, I would say if we promote one player every season or every 2 seasons, that would help with many of our recent issues. How many players from Barca B/La Masia got the promotion in the last 5-6 years. None!

I hope Fati could be an exception and stays with the first team. Under this board, they will probably buy Neymar and sell/loan the kid.

khaled_a_d

[MENTION=20461]George_Costanza[/MENTION]
This is the 2nd time you avoid main question, how you decide who should continue to get a chance and who doesn't?

BBZ8800

"Body of 14 years old girl", he is 5'6 (169) and his weight 56-57 KG, Now get this medical info, the ideal weight for a guy his height is between 57 and max 71. Nearly everyone looks small when they are 18-20 playing against grown men. Messi's weight was around that at his age. Now not sure why Riqui wears his jersey 2 sizes too big, makes him look too small.

If you are that thin, you need to be world class in other areas, like Messi.
If you are as thin and small as Riki and you are meh in other skills, well, you know the answer...

About his height and weight, some comparisons:
Modric 172, 66 kg
Messi 170, 72 kg
Sterling 170 cm, 69 kg
Alba 170, 68 kg

Or do I even need to post this:
Arthur 171 cm, 73 kg, age 23
Riki 169 cm, 56 kg, age 20

Arthur is 2 cms taller, 3 years older and has 17 kgs more than him (38 pounds).

Messigician

If you are as thin and small as Riki and you are meh in other skills, well, you know the answer...

Modric 172, 66 kg
Messi 170, 72 kg
Sterling 170 cm, 69 kg
Alba 170, 68 kg

Arthur is fat though

George_Costanza

[MENTION=20461]George_Costanza[/MENTION]
This is the 2nd time you avoid main question, how you decide who should continue to get a chance and who doesn't?

I didn't avoid anything, that's not even a question, read my posts again. By giving more chances to those youngsters especially the one who has the required skills. I already explained the model.

He played as a sub (55min) in Copa Del Ray game against Cultural Leonesa and made an assist in that game. He played as a sub too in La Liga against Huesca, replacing Rakitic and he got the highest rating along with Todibo and Vidal. So you tell me, why he isn't been called up again giving that he did so well with the few minutes he played. I can only believe my eyes and what I saw from him so far.

George_Costanza

Modric 172, 66 kg
Messi 170, 72 kg
Sterling 170 cm, 69 kg
Alba 170, 68 kg

Bro, Messi at 20 years old was a twink, and most of the players you listed too. Arthur needs to lose weight so not a good example.

This is Messi back in 2005-06. Ronaldinho can hold him in one arm.

4D3E5B2C00000578-5846095-image-a-13_1529014793077.jpg

messi-primer-gol-barcelona-42642.jpeg

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi at Riqui's age was much stronger.

I still like Riqui, but I always rated him as some sort of rotation option that could make it as that, not as a starter. His physical limitations are going to be an issue for him.

If he hasn't bulked up yet it might be because he just cannot bulk up more.

He's 4 cm taller than Verratti, but weighs 5 kg less.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Messi at Riqui's age was much stronger.

I still like Riqui, but I always rated him as some sort of rotation option that could make it as that, not as a starter. His physical limitations are going to be an issue for him.

If he hasn't bulked up yet it might be because he just cannot bulk up more.

Messi was more injury-prone at Riqui's age, and the debate back then was he was very talented but physically so weak.

I agree that so far Puig can be used as a rotation player or a sub, NOT starting material.

Batistuta9

We shouldn't write him off just yet. Need a bit of patience sometimes, you never know when it will click for someone. Messi is an anomaly, he was almost world class straight away. Even xavi and iniesta needed time. I remember xavi nearly left for AC milan

tacticvarium

Not sure why you are so obsessed with defending this kid.
Is he Messi/Iniesta special? Duh.
Is he Silva/Cesc special? No way in hell.
Is he Thiago/Isco special? Kidding? Not even close.
Is he Alena special? Comparable but Alena has been the most dominant midfielder in his age group since Cadet A/Juv B while Riqui has been just one of many decent players with some flashy skills.
His career here was also almost over before Pimienta actually saved his ass in Juvenil.
So why then..?

Last edited:

JohnN

Because the club is desperate for something good from la masia and the fans are too. We are just before a major overhaul and can't spend all the money needed to do it. Puig certainly needs to bulk up a bit and get some more chances so the coaching stuff can estimate his worth. He is already 20 though so I can't see this period of assessment lasting more than one more year.

BBZ8800

Not sure why you are so obsessed with defending this kid.
Is he Messi/Iniesta special? Duh.
Is he Silva/Cesc special? No way in hell.
Is he Thiago/Isco special? Kidding? Not even close.
Is he Alena special? Comparable but Alena has been the most dominant midfielder in his age group since Cadet A/Juv B while Riqui has been just one of many decent players with some flashy skills.
His career here was also almost over before Pimienta actually saved his ass in Juvenil.
So why then..?

1. people always want "new hopes" for the future in order to have something to look forward to.
Without new players, without hope=life doesn't make sense.
2. but, another factor=when the results are bad or when the times are rocky, people are even more desperate than usual.
So, people are always desperate for La Masia kids.
While today, when we are entering post-Messi era and our winning cycle is over, human's brain is even MORE DESPERATE for new "hopes".

I would even dare to say that people are even more defensive and deluded about our young players currently due to: old team, bad results, problems around the board and around a club in general.
Imo, La Masia kids and some younger signings are usually untouchable and overhyped by fans.
And in rocky times, they are even more overhyped=since everything else is grey and all the hope lies on those rare few 2-3-4 younger players.

Home of Barca Fans