Mavericky Puig

Dimonsss

Barca wanted to get rid of him. They considered him scrawny, bad defensively and ineffective in the air. What nobody saw was that he had the basic qualities to go far: he had game intelligence, speed in his execution, technique. If I hadn’t been at Barcelona, for sure he would have been sold to a Segunda Division club.

I am sure you all know who said it and who was that football player...

George_Costanza

1. people always want "new hopes" for the future in order to have something to look forward to.
Without new players, without hope=life doesn't make sense.
2. but, another factor=when the results are bad or when the times are rocky, people are even more desperate than usual.
So, people are always desperate for La Masia kids.
While today, when we are entering post-Messi era and our winning cycle is over, human's brain is even MORE DESPERATE for new "hopes".

I would even dare to say that people are even more defensive and deluded about our young players currently due to: old team, bad results, problems around the board and around a club in general.
Imo, La Masia kids and some younger signings are usually untouchable and overhyped by fans.
And in rocky times, they are even more overhyped=since everything else is grey and all the hope lies on those rare few 2-3-4 younger players.

Give us a break really. It's just one player who didn't cost us anything and his salary probably less than mine and yours. Is it too much to ask to give him a few minutes here and there? The 22 minutes he played this season he contributed more than someone who is paid 8m if you know who I mean.

What's your solution, expensive acquisitions like Neymar, Griezmann, Coutinho, and Dembele? How that worked so far for us? Or wait until we get it right in the transfer window, a probability of less than 10% success given the past acquisitions, or rely on washed-up players who are slow, can't run and lack the motivation to compete?

We are not talking about hopes here, it's more practical and realistic given the circumstances.

BBZ8800

Give us a break really. It's just one player who didn't cost us anything and his salary probably less than mine and yours. Is it too much to ask to give him a few minutes here and there? The 22 minutes he played this season he contributed more than someone who is paid 8m if you know who I mean.

What's your solution, expensive acquisitions like Neymar, Griezmann, Coutinho, and Dembele? How that worked so far for us? Or wait until we get it right in the transfer window, a probability of less than 10% success given the past acquisitions, or rely on washed-up players who are slow, can't run and lack the motivation to compete?

We are not talking about hopes here, it's more practical and realistic given the circumstances.

My solution is: buy a random 20M midfielder from Girona, Getafe and similar, anyone who is able to play a first division football.

This kid, regardless of Barca's coaches, you or me, will probably never play as a starter in any La Liga club.
So, we don't need Coutinho.
Just go out, open google, open a page with 100 current midfielders, close your eyes and put a finger on a random player.
90% of picks will be a way better option than Riki.

That is a reality.

Even that kid Pedri looks like Maradona compared to Riki.

serghei

My solution is: buy a random 20M midfielder from Girona, Getafe and similar, anyone who is able to play a first division football.

This kid, regardless of Barca's coaches, you or me, will probably never play as a starter in any La Liga club.
Just go out, open google, open a page with 100 current midfielders, close your eyes and put a finger on a random player.

That is a reality.

Talk about overreactions... Why do you always have to exaggerate like this? Like somehow it's not enough for you to say this guy won't make it at Barcelona, you have to say some ultra-exaggerate stuff like that.

George_Costanza

That is a reality.

First, I'm assuming the people who manage the sporting department in Barcelona today they have the same exact mentality as yours.

They did actually buy many 20-30m players from La Liga, and guess what? They failed too. In recent years we have bought Gomes, Turan, Aleix Vidal, Fripo, Paco..etc. I would definitely rate Riqui above Gomes, Turan, A.Vidal and Fripo Jr. The question is who did we buy for 20-30m from La Liga and worked for us in recent years? I can only think of Lenglet and he is been average for us.

So, that's not a solution giving the probabilities to fail is very high based on recent statistics.

God Serena

"Body of 14 years old girl", he is 5'6 (169) and his weight 56-57 KG, Now get this medical info, the ideal weight for a guy his height is between 57 and max 71. Nearly everyone looks small when they are 18-20 playing against grown men. Messi's weight was around that at his age. Now not sure why Riqui wears his jersey 2 sizes too big, makes him look too small.

I don't doubt that his ability can make up for his lack of physicality, and the games he played so far, I didn't see any issue him being small. He continues to mature, and if he focuses on fitness, he could add some muscle and weight to his frame.

My mom is *actually* 5'6 and 56 KG is roughly 123 pounds, which is about how much a full grown woman under a normal diet weighs. So basically, as a a grown man going on 21 years old, he's very short, and has physical strength comparable to my mom, who isn't even an athlete, and is also over 50 years old. Not encouraging. Your "Medical info" doesn't disprove the fact that he's too small and too weak, and if anything, actually goes the other direction and suggests that there's nothing he can do about it.

George_Costanza

My mom is *actually* 5'6 and 56 KG is roughly 123 pounds, which is about how much a full grown woman under a normal diet weighs. So basically, as a a grown man going on 21 years old, he's very short, and has physical strength comparable to my mom, who isn't even an athlete, and is also over 50 years old. Not encouraging. Your "Medical info" doesn't disprove the fact that he's too small and too weak, and if anything, actually goes the other direction and suggests that there's nothing he can do about it.

This is world football, not WWE nor NFL. The NFL thread is under sports forum.

Here is a link:

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/9988-NFL/page56

God Serena

This is world football, not WWE nor NFL. The NFL thread is under sports forum.

Here is a link:

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/9988-NFL/page56

Ah, so you're suggesting strength and size don't play a role in football? Because that is blatantly false. At the highest level (Which is where Barca currently plays) physicality is a large part of the game and if someone can push you, they will, and it won't even be a foul. If you get pushed off the ball any time you come close to a marker you're not much use to anyone.

George_Costanza

Ah, so you're suggesting strength and size don't play a role in football? Because that is blatantly false. At the highest level (Which is where Barca currently plays) physicality is a large part of the game and if someone can push you, they will, and it won't even be a foul. If you get pushed off the ball any time you come close to a marker you're not much use to anyone.

I see BBZ's influence on many of the posters here even those who are on the opposite side. I'm happy that "Small physique won't make it" wasn't a trend back in 2004-5, otherwise we could have sold the best player in the history of football. Did you miss my post about Messi addressing your concern? Messi at 19-20 was 170cm and weighted around your Mom's weight. He was so fragile and injury-prone. I used to debate many posters like you on Bigsoccer forum who said he won't make it because football is about size and strength. I could really search those threads back in 2005 and link it here to see how similar was the views on Messi back then. And I think Messi in 2004 was thinner and more fragile than Riqui.

God Serena

I see BBZ's influence on many of the posters here even those who are on the opposite side. I'm happy that "Small physique won't make it" wasn't a trend back in 2004-5, otherwise we could have sold the best player in the history of football. Did you miss my post about Messi addressing your concern? Messi at 19-20 was 170cm and weighted around your Mom's weight. He was so fragile and injury-prone. I used to debate many posters like you on Bigsoccer forum who said he won't make it because football is about size and strength. I could really search those threads back in 2005 and link it here to see how similar was the views on Messi back then. And I think Messi in 2004 was thinner and more fragile than Riqui.

Messi is quite easily the greatest player to have ever laced up a pair of boots. Just because he was able to thrive despite his size doesn't mean it is a rule we can fall back on. There's a reason why Messi is the only midget competing at such a level, and even at 19 he didn't have the propensity for getting knocked off the ball that Riqui has. His much lower center of gravity probably played a role in that, but Riqui obviously doesn't have Messi's center of gravity.

The kid is thoroughly talented and could easily be a starter here based on skill alone, but there's a reason women, no matter how skilled, don't compete with men, and as of now Riqui's physique is comparable to one.

snowy

Messi is quite easily the greatest player to have ever laced up a pair of boots.

Datz watz up!

What I like about Riqui the most is his forward mindset. He likes to drive forward and take risks, we're sorely lacking in that department. If he stands and gets shoved like it happened in his last match (don't remember the opponent), ref won't call the foul but he'd likely get them if on the move and tagged with hands. Just look at Ramos ridiculous last yellow for his gentle tap on a shoulder like he was flicking away the other dude's dandruff :lol:

Since everyone likes Dej in CDM, give him the post (I think he's plenty good enough to play both CDM and CM though _ no doubt imo he can play aggressive through passes _ he actually did a few in that last match despite being so-so overall).
Play an en-form Busi in CM 1st half and sub with Arthur on the 2nd and play Riqui as the creative 3rd midfielder in the 2nd half as a sub for Vidal. Opponents would be more tired so easier for Riqui to use his speed and attack the final 3rd. That's more goal ops, free quicks or pens as he's likely to get fouled by tired heavy legs.

Another small dude I really like is Angel Gomes _ he's close control and skills in tight spaces is wicked good. Hope he joins La Liga, he's way too good for this Ole mofo!

JohnN

Don't you think he can bulk up? He is too light and gets pushed easily. He does seem to be talented but if he puts on some muscle he would be better.. provided he doesn't lose all of his agility.

George_Costanza

Messi is quite easily the greatest player to have ever laced up a pair of boots. Just because he was able to thrive despite his size doesn't mean it is a rule we can fall back on. There's a reason why Messi is the only midget competing at such a level, and even at 19 he didn't have the propensity for getting knocked off the ball that Riqui has. His much lower center of gravity probably played a role in that, but Riqui obviously doesn't have Messi's center of gravity.

The kid is thoroughly talented and could easily be a starter here based on skill alone, but there's a reason women, no matter how skilled, don't compete with men, and as of now Riqui's physique is comparable to one.

OMG so many midgets are all-time greats. Not sure how long are you following football but you are so wrong about it.

My list of top five all-time greats below 170>

1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Garrincha
4. Xavi
5. Romario

Now try to find all times greats above 182 or 6 feet, not many actually.

From your past posts, it seems you have an issue with small physiques and/or youngsters/unproven new players. Give it up!

Home of Barca Fans