Mavericky Puig

Horatio

You're welcome
It's not like he's ignoring Maradona. I'd like to see Puig play more, but can see why Koeman doesn't take risks. Without it being personal, of course.

Same here. Like to see him get more chances. But understand if it is in limited capacity for now.

JohnN

A lot of people hyped him as our best midfielder, or our hope, or star material. Many argued he is better player than Pedri for example.
Obviously people nowadays will be careful calling someone next Iniesta, it didn't mean that they didn't claim him as something he isn't

Ok, literally was an exaggeration. Some people will always exist who have a certain option. But the forum consensus seems to be he is in a better level than 5 dead minutes and there are people arguing against the minority that thinks riqui is a better prospect than pedri. This is not the main argument thought. The small amount of minutes is, and using this strawmanany try to shift the conversation into something it really isn't.

serghei

Sure, he's not Maradona. But I thought we are rebuilding... and this means giving chances to talented players, even those you are not very fond of. You also look at the financial situation of the club, and it's even more important to try to get the best of every talented player we have.

SmilerBam

Sure, he's not Maradona. But I thought we are rebuilding... and this means giving chances to talented players, even those you are not very fond of.

It's Pedri Maradona?Why he gets more minutes, because he is the coach pet?He does look like a pet too.Riqui it's far more direct and has a better personality.Technically, they may be similar.For me, Puig it's the better player,but it's hard to show that when you play 5 min per game.

JohnN

But at the same time you want to win every game. Okay...

High standards. Somehow higher than last year even though it got revealed club is a complete mess.

Who wants to win every game? Personally I would take 3rd spot in LL, a good copa run and last 16 cl exit this season. Also, have said this numerous times.
Who are these people that expect this squad to win every game?

Horatio

You're welcome
Who wants to win every game? Personally I would take 3rd spot in LL, a good copa run and last 16 cl exit this season. Also, have said this numerous times.
Who are these people that expect this squad to win every game?

Crap, you're fast. Post was referring to a discussion that was going on yesterday, but might have misquoted serghei there. That's why I deleted it. Anyway, expectations are disproportionally high. People holding it against coach points were dropped early phase of season and we out of race even though it's hard to think how not given the circumstances.

JamDav1982

It's Pedri Maradona?Why he gets more minutes, because he is the coach pet?He does look like a pet too.Riqui it's far more direct and has a better personality.Technically, they may be similar.For me, Puig it's the better player,but it's hard to show that when you play 5 min per game.

Puig is not more direct than Pedri.

Joan

Think it's a drop in quality having Puig for Pedri. Especially since we've got midfield in form.

Koeman must feel the pressure to perform.

serghei

Very few are proposing playing Puig instead of Pedri. Too few to make it a general opinion here. Basically, it's Pedri rested more, Puig played more. That's the change to be had imo.

My biggest problem is Puig ONLY got garbage minutes in the league. Did he even play once more than 45 mins in a game? I only see him getting subbed on pretty late in games, a few minutes here and there, or used when the starters (nearly all key players) are rested.

Funny enough, when he did get more minutes, he was actually one of the best players vs Juventus.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Ok, literally was an exaggeration. Some people will always exist who have a certain option. But the forum consensus seems to be he is in a better level than 5 dead minutes and there are people arguing against the minority that thinks riqui is a better prospect than pedri. This is not the main argument thought. The small amount of minutes is, and using this strawmanany try to shift the conversation into something it really isn't.

Forum?

If you have learned anything during years, this is how majority works:

1. If a player is young = 2 points
2. If a player is from La Masia = 1 point
3. If a player has a nice Barca DNA technique = 1 point

Imagine if Puig was a tiny 28 years old Russian named Alexander Puihovskiy playing for Levante, having the same set of skills.

No one would care.
Why?
Because he is not young and from La Masia.

So, forum's opinion about young La Masia players with a silky passing is miles from being objective.

JamDav1982

Very few are proposing playing Puig instead of Pedri. Too few to make it a general opinion here. Basically, it's Pedri rested more, Puig played more. That's the change to be had imo.

My biggest problem is Puig ONLY got garbage minutes in the league. Did he even play once more than 45 mins in a game? I only see him getting subbed on pretty late in games, a few minutes here and there, or used when the starters (nearly all key players) are rested.

Funny enough, when he did get more minutes, he was actually one of the best players vs Juventus.

Or maybe Puig becomes a better player when listens to coach and then plays more.

Koeman has a history of making players better or pissing them off through demands.

These examples of players he has issues with almost always result in them getting bombed as well. While Puig has in last 5 games - 17 mins, 30 mins, 25 mins, started, 5 mins. Also got close to half an hour in three of the CL games.

He is getting more minutes and more when game is still on line.

BBZ8800

30 minutes against Sociedad
25 vs Bilbao
25 vs Juve, Kiev, Ferencvaros
20 vs Granada

Literally in the last 5 matches played:
17 Granada
30 Sociedad
23 Bilbao
45 Cornella
3+ Elche

118 minutes in the last 16 days.

** I see that Jam has explained while I was googling for stats.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

We should give him more matches before we judge him too early. We shouldnt make the same mistake like Chelsea did a few times ( Salah, Kevin De Bruyne, Lukaku).

SmilerBam

The thing is...what Puig would have showed if he played the minutes Pedri played?It's an unfair comparison.I'm not saying that Pedri doesn't have potential,but i don't like his lack of courage.Puig has that.And i don't think in other aspects he is worse than Pedri.

Home of Barca Fans