Mauricio Lemos

khaled_a_d

I can't say I've seen enough of Davinson but surely you would agree that Lemos' La Liga experience is important for the Uruguayan's chances for signing for Barca.

Important as it is generally better? Or as this is the way we roll?
For 1st I can agree,but it isn't always the case
For 2nd, Roberto seem to be huge Davinson fan,to a point that I will doubt it will mean much

Xavinho

Umtiti-Pique will be the pairing for years to come.

Maybe, but Pique is already 30, and as you say, Mathieu and Masche are even older. I think we definitely need to look at young CB talents. Also there's a real trend across Europe at the moment to play three at the back. So, who knows, maybe the new coach will want to try that at times.

Ter Stegen
New RCB - Pique - Umtiti
New RB - Busquets - New CM - Alba
Messi
Suarez - Neymar​

I can't say I've seen enough of Davinson but surely you would agree that Lemos' La Liga experience is important for the Uruguayan's chances for signing for Barca.

I don't know. It didn't seem to matter much that Umtiti, Digne, and Cillessen didn't have la liga experience. And it seemed like we scouted a lot of forwards from around the world (Gabriel Jesus for example) before we found Paco who was willing to come sit on the bench behind Suarez. I definitely think it's a bonus to have experience in la liga, but as khaled said, it isn't the be all and end all.

navidjaan

Ter Stegen
New RCB - Pique - Umtiti
New RB - Busquets - New CM - Alba
Messi
Suarez - Neymar​

Sergi Palencia is born to play that RCB, like Mascherano today, just better when moving out as a RB, but worse (for now) as a central defender.

JamDav1982

Sergi Palencia is born to play that RCB, like Mascherano today, just better when moving out as a RB, but worse (for now) as a central defender.

Palencia doesnt look physically strong enough to play at CB in top league to me.

Think he is far too over hyped on here.

navidjaan

Palencia doesnt look physically strong enough to play at CB in top league to me.

Think he is far too over hyped on here.

He's "over-hyped" by those who watch him play and see that he never plays a bad game. It's not just about his technical qualities which he has already lifted to another level compared to his Juvenil A days, it's also about his character, leadership abilities and fighting spirit, something that carried Puyol before he was recognized as a great player.

Palencia has good physique (not a problem in the physical and sometimes vile Segunda B) and can build on it if necessary. Not worse than Mascherano at 20.

By the way, I think he should stay at Barça B for another season, whether they promote or not.

JamDav1982

He's "over-hyped" by those who watch him play and see that he never plays a bad game. It's not just about his technical qualities which he has already lifted to another level compared to his Juvenil A days, it's also about his character, leadership abilities and fighting spirit, something that carried Puyol before he was recognized as a great player.

Palencia has good physique (not a problem in the physical and sometimes vile Segunda B) and can build on it if necessary. Not worse than Mascherano at 20.

By the way, I think he should stay at Barça B for another season, whether they promote or not.

Have seen him play enough and I think I mentioned about his desire reminding me of Puyol before read anyone else say it on here anyway.

Mascherano can get away with being a CB as he is one of the best readers of the game defensively around and one of the best in world playing it out from the back. Palencia is nothing like that.

He is 21 never shone in any league above third level.

Think you are massively over rating him but hope he does well if given chance.

khaled_a_d

Mascherano is 1.74M and he is already a short player for CB while Palancia is 1.7M . Those 4cm actually matters a lot.
Mascherano is one of the best at his trade,and he is more physically gifted than Palancia in terms of height,strength & athleticism and still struggled many times to coupe with the physical needs of a CB. people stopped saying "he isn't a CB" at after 5 years of him playing the position.
Palancia to RCB doesn't look well to me,I would prefer 2 true CB and Digne if we are gonna use a FB as 3rd CB in 3-4-3
ANd Mascherano at the age of 20 wasn't good enough for Barca
And btw, I have to agree that Palancia is kind of overrated. He is the guy that everyone likes but simply lacks a lot in terms of ability. Wish he proves me wroong but I doubt it

navidjaan

Fair enough. Btw, I didn't say I think Palencia would be a good CB. I don't think that. Not at all, actually. But I think he'd fit fit well in a 3-man defense as a RCB because of his overall abilities, especially defensive. Like Azplicueta in Chelsea. Final things:

1) He also shone in Segunda A
2) Not his fault his team relegated even though he played great when he was given a chance by Vinyals towards the end of the season as the youngest player (tied with Adama and Halilovic)
3) Barça's best ever self-produced players played in Tercera or Segunda B. League makes next to no difference in the end, talent and will does

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Fair enough. Btw, I didn't say I think Palencia would be a good CB. I don't think that. Not at all, actually. But I think he'd fit fit well in a 3-man defense as a RCB because of his overall abilities, especially defensive. Like Azplicueta in Chelsea. Final things:

1) He also shone in Segunda A
2) Not his fault his team relegated even though he played great when he was given a chance by Vinyals towards the end of the season as the youngest player (tied with Adama and Halilovic)
3) Barça's best ever self-produced players played in Tercera or Segunda B. League makes next to no difference in the end, talent and will does

Not blaming him for being relegated and he didnt really shine in Segunda as far as I can remember any more than being fairly solid but team was so bad at that point none of them shone.

Barcas best players played briefly at third level when teenagers for most part and were clearly destined for first team. That is completely different situation to Palencia.

God Serena

Not blaming him for being relegated and he didnt really shine in Segunda as far as I can remember any more than being fairly solid but team was so bad at that point none of them shone.

Barcas best players played briefly at third level when teenagers for most part and were clearly destined for first team. That is completely different situation to Palencia.

He was one of the few bright spots in that Barca B side that got relegated. I'm pretty sure it was during that season you made the Puyol comparison you're so proud of. He most definitely did shine, and that's continued on to now where he's a starter and captain. Not saying he looks to be special or a future legend or anything like that but he's shown as much as he possibly can to be worthy of a look from the first team squad. Just as Grimaldo before him. Hopefully our next manager gives him a chance at least in pre-season so we don't potentially have another talented fullback pack their bags.

JamDav1982

He was one of the few bright spots in that Barca B side that got relegated. I'm pretty sure it was during that season you made the Puyol comparison you're so proud of. He most definitely did shine, and that's continued on to now where he's a starter and captain. Not saying he looks to be special or a future legend or anything like that but he's shown as much as he possibly can to be worthy of a look from the first team squad. Just as Grimaldo before him. Hopefully our next manager gives him a chance at least in pre-season so we don't potentially have another talented fullback pack their bags.

He played towards the end of that season when Barca were getting battered most weeks and looked steady enough. Never shone as anything special.

No idea what you are on about me being 'proud' of the Puyol comparison. It obviously impressed you but dont think it was then would have to check.

I dont think looking at him he has the ability to play in first team. Regardless if he has had a good season or not in third tier.

Too small for a CB and not good enough going forward to be a Barca full back for me. Could be wrong lets wait and see.

Last edited:

Raketa10

I really don't understand this Lemos hype. So far he hasn't show anything what would imply he is Barca quality. Not to mention that Las Palmas conceded 61 goals so far!!! Only three teams in La Liga conceded more and all of those three are in the relegation zone!

xXKonan

I really don't understand this Lemos hype. So far he hasn't show anything what would imply he is Barca quality. Not to mention that Las Palmas conceded 61 goals so far!!! Only three teams in La Liga conceded more and all of those three are in the relegation zone!
Well to be fair to Lemos he's only 21 years old and he still has time to improve on his defense.

We wanted him because he fits the profile we want out of a CB. Not sure if he's one of our top targets anymore but I do see why Robert was keen on him back in the summer of last year.

khaled_a_d

He has that David Luiz style that made Zubi a fan for a while, that complete physical package of height,speed,athleticism,strength etc that you want from a CB. Loads of attacking talent for a CB that made him capable of playing in midfield.
But -and just like Luiz- he has a lot of defensive problems himself.
I don't think we have been linked to him since our 8M offer has been rejected from Las Palmas, which tbh was a fair small risk for a player showing potential in Liga.
Doubt we will be after him, seem Davinson,Marlon or another young CB will get the chance over him

Home of Barca Fans