Matthijs de Ligt

cro-man

Seeing umtiti recovering and lenglet doing fine and being also very young i dont see a reason to splash so much money for de ligt. I would rather spend money for some forwards. Suarez and messi are ageing and declining and dembele is injured here and there and inconsistant. Malcom seems to be not good enough and coutinho will maybe never find his form again.

Also we need a backup for alba and i would look into a rb because i am not pleased to see roberto there and semedo can be the second option. If vidal leaves we need someone like him but only younger. Seeing our wage bill and the money we spent recently i am a bit confused by this move.

Ajax

Overmars is doing the double dutch baguette. A well known trick where he first pretends to sell FdJ to PSG. This causes panick with other contenders who overbid. Now he pretends to sell MdL to the same party to trigger an overbid from the party that felt like they missed out on the previous deal. Something their ego won't accept. When a third party enters the contest it gets more interesting and it could become the "Triple Dutch Baguette with a last minute overbid"

I would be shocked if you get him this early, for 'only' 70m. Perhaps Puig or Suarez is included but that never happens in real life because they are not cargo

Laplacian

Seeing umtiti recovering and lenglet doing fine and being also very young i dont see a reason to splash so much money for de ligt. I would rather spend money for some forwards. Suarez and messi are ageing and declining and dembele is injured here and there and inconsistant. Malcom seems to be not good enough and coutinho will maybe never find his form again.

Also we need a backup for alba and i would look into a rb because i am not pleased to see roberto there and semedo can be the second option. If vidal leaves we need someone like him but only younger. Seeing our wage bill and the money we spent recently i am a bit confused by this move.

Lenglet, Umtiti, Todibo, Pique, Murillo....there's no need for De Ligt. I feel like we're only getting him because of the hype i swear.

mesiesta

Lenglet, Umtiti, Todibo, Pique, Murillo....there's no need for De Ligt. I feel like we're only getting him because of the hype i swear.

Murillo will leave at the end of this season.
Pique will be done in 2-3 years.
There is a high chance that Todibo will not make it here and will be loaned to other clubs.
No one knows how the things will go with Umtiti after his injury.

We will need to buy a high-class CB anyway during next transfer windows and De Ligt looks like a good fit for us (he was awful against Feyenoord, but let's hope it was just a single game).

Campos

Overmars is doing the double dutch baguette. A well known trick where he first pretends to sell FdJ to PSG. This causes panick with other contenders who overbid. Now he pretends to sell MdL to the same party to trigger an overbid from the party that felt like they missed out on the previous deal. Something their ego won't accept. When a third party enters the contest it gets more interesting and it could become the "Triple Dutch Baguette with a last minute overbid"

I would be shocked if you get him this early, for 'only' 70m. Perhaps Puig or Suarez is included but that never happens in real life because they are not cargo

I don't know if 70m will be enough. We'll have to ask Overmars lol.

But i think 70m is a fair price.
Some Ajax fans think he's worth 80-100m.

But what club will pay 100m for an 19 year old defender ?
No matter how good he is. He's just a defender. And he's playing in a weaker league.
Even in this crazy market, not much clubs wil pay 100m for an Eredivisie defender.

The funny thing is. The moment he'll sign for Barca. He will be worth twice as much instantly. But that's how life goes i guess.

P.S. According to the Spanish papers: PSG is also interested.

Donatello

For those who are saying he isn't needed,

* Umtiti: We are unsure about his longterm future/injury effects atm. This could backfire if we blindly trust him, better to stay prepared.

* Lenglet: SOLID, no doubt. But still somewhat lacks in some areas, is in no way an undisputed starter quality atm, neither should be treated as one.

* Todibo: UNPROVEN. Could become world class, but could also turn out to be Mina 2.0. Foolish to sacrifice De Ligt for him.

* Pique: He will be gone in 1-2 seasons, better start looking for alternatives now, rather than panic buying when he leaves.

Now,

BEST CASE SCENARIO: :
Let's consider if Umtiti recoves from his injury permanently, Lenglet keeps improving, Todibo becomes WC, and De Ligt comes. What we will have is 4 WC CB playing for 2 positions, if we can keep all 4, well & good. If not, just sell one of them, you make some profit, that's no way a bad thing.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: :
Umtiti gets injured again, Lenglet's development stalls/gets injured, Todibo doesn't deliver, De Ligt moves to same other club, Pique retires. Now we only have Lenglet, and we are desperately looking for a WC CB in market, regretting not signing De Ligt.

And About De Ligt failing at Barca,

Yes, its possible. But that's the case with every young CB that you buy. If you pass De Ligt today, 2 years later, we would be gambling on another young CB. I would rather gamble on him, when we have other CB in case he fails, rather than when we have no one else to fill in.

Last edited:

Porque

Difference between de Ligt and de Jong though is that there are a plethora of CB alternatives for buying clubs compared to central midfielders. Madrid are not even in for de Ligt because Militao will suffice for them. Bayern will go with Lucas Hernandez and Pavard. Then there are the alternatives listed previously like Konate.

Surely this will prevent a bidding war to emerge somewhat.

PSG didn't get de Jong, who is the alternative? Ndombele? (maybe, but then there is the profile of midfielder which is more diverse than a profile of CB), Eriksen? Certainly not that many quality options.

Raketa10

We could always loan him out to Ajax for another season. Is he needed next summer? No. But should we sign him? Yes, because he is a huge talent and he want's to come. He is 19y old world class talent and Pique won't last much longer. Pique has one or two more seasons left and that's it.

De Jong, De Ligt, LB and a Striker and we are done.

Last edited:

Judoman

We don t actually need him at this point in time, but he is a generational talent. You buy those in any case, build team around them and sell the surplus.

DL-DJ/Arthur-Dembele. Each line would have at least one top tear talent and that s an awesome start. The only thing missing is a 30 goals/season striker and we are set for the future.

Campos

We could always loan him out to Ajax for another season. Is he needed next summer? No. But should we sign him? Yes, because he is a huge talent and he want's to come. He is 19y old world class talent and Pique won't last much longer. Pique has one or two more seasons left and that's it.

De Jong, De Ligt, LB and a Striker and we are done.

He would be a starter at most topclubs.
Why loan him out ?

Besides that, he's too good for the Eredivisie. He need more regular games at a higher level.

I think he will get enough game time at Barca. Starter or not.

Raketa10

So let's assume we'll loan out Todibo that leaves us with Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet and De Ligt. All of those players would be starters basically in every team in the world. So how to keep all of them satisfied? It looks easy on the paper but it won't be easy at all to give enough minutes to all of them. That's why I think a one year loan would be a good thing for both sides. De Ligt is a VERY young player and he needs to play every week to keep evolving as a player and as I see things right now he won't be able to bench Pique next season for sure.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So let's assume we'll loan out Todibo that leaves us with Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet and De Light. All of those players would be starters basically in every team in the world. So how to keep all of them satisfied? It looks easy on the paper but it won't be easy at all to give all of them enough playing time. That's why I think a one year loan would be a good thing for both sides.

He'll just go and join some other team then. Pique doesn't want to play for much longer so it's time to start phasing him out and we don't know if Umtiti's knee is fine yet.

Raketa10

He'll just go and join some other team then. Pique doesn't want to play for much longer so it's time to start phasing him out and we don't know if Umtiti's knee is fine yet.

To be fair De Ligt is our solution for RCB while Umtiti and Lenglet are solutions for LCB. Only Pique is his direct competition so he could actually get a decent amount of minutes if Valverde knew how to rotate but we are talking about VALVERDE so I doubt he'll learn how to do that. Look I wan't him here but we need to be sure he keeps on developing because if he get's Malcom treatment we could ruin him. If we are not 100% sure Valverde will use him properly than he should be loaned out for one year.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans