Matthijs de Ligt

Tekkers

Depth is less important than just having a strong starter. Roberto could play LB reasonably if it came down to to it anyway.

i saw those barca games last season were they played him and semedo in place of alba against bad teams and there performances were shocking. they're not filling in for a full season if alba gets injured

MagIX

Victor Font: "I would do everything possible to sign De Ligt. But I feel his case is not about money, but sporting project."

That's the problem.
I do not think that De Ligt will join us.

Zidane82

Victor Font: "I would do everything possible to sign De Ligt. But I feel his case is not about money, but sporting project."

That's the problem.
I do not think that De Ligt will join us.

The crazy decision to not sack Valverde will cost us dearly for years and in so many ways ..

Neeraj

Haha Victor Font, interesting guy. He's the head of Delta Consulting, a management consulting firm I was in the recruitment process with through my school, and actually got a chance to meet him. I didn't know at that time how involved he was with Barcelona, all I knew was that he was a big fan. If I had known he was running for president, I would have definitely had a more interesting discussion with him! As the head of a management consulting firm, you know the guy is going to have the chops to run Barcelona like an efficient business, and he seems to have the right ideas. If I had voting rights, I would definitely look forward to him in 2021.

Looking at how things stand, with De Ligt's ridiculous PSG offer (if it's true) - this highlights a lot that's wrong with today's football. If you start a 19 year old with a salary that high, where do you go from there? What are you going to be paying him by the time he's 23, 25? How does he switch clubs, that can't match the salary he's on, without invariably taking a pay cut? Clubs are now do desperate for star talents that they are willing to risk their long term fiscal position by going crazy in the short term.

Given that we are going to have Mr. It is what it is at the helm for another year, I really wouldn't mind us failing to land any/all of our transfer targets this year. I would prefer we preserve that money and write the season off - anything we win, let's take that as a bonus. If we win the league or cup, and get embarrassed in the UCL again, let's just say we all expect it with this guy as coach, and look forward to the season after.

Saying this really pains me considering that the next year is probably going to be my last year in Barcelona and my last season watching each game live, but I just cannot see us progressing with any player that we sign under Valverde. Each time Malcolm came on, he seemed to pay really well and do much better than Coutinho, but we saw the treatment he got. Which is why I really wouldn't mind not getting Greizman, De Ligt, etc. and us being able to get a new capable coach in 2021, one that has a long term plan and knows what he wants, and then empower him with a larger transfer budget. Because I think most of us can agree, Greizman and De Ligt are in no way going to assure us of a better UCL performance, Valverde just won't let that happen.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I like Font but I don't agree with his assessment that De Ligt turned us down because of the sporting project. Money obviously is the No.1 reason and followed by his concerns/doubt of playing time.

Valverde has one year left.

I like Font but I don't agree with his assessment that De Ligt turned us down because of the sporting project. Money obviously is the No.1 reason and followed by his concerns/doubt of playing time.

Valverde has one year left.

Very opportunistic of Font. Find it hard to trust anyone who is this opportunistic - we are not that dumb, Victor.

Givenchy

I wouldn't bother signing anyone else. next season is a total write off.. it was the moment EV was officially staying.

M

Medz

Olease dont sign him Bartomeu!

Imagine giving a 19 yo 340k a week lmao, he can rot in Ligue 1 Uber Eats

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Very opportunistic of Font. Find it hard to trust anyone who is this opportunistic - we are not that dumb, Victor.

I'd agree, that this particular statement of his regarding De Ligt was quite opportunistic. Essentially he is trying to channel Barca fans' disappointment into something he can use to hit the current board at.

cro-man

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Mino Raiola a rencontré le directeur sportif du <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PSG</a> Antero Henrique ce matin à Paris. Les deux parties ont longuement discuté pour avancer sur les envies contractuelles de De Ligt. L'Ajax demande 75M€ ! De Ligt doit désormais acter son choix. <a href="https://t.co/OHNaVAQEPF">https://t.co/OHNaVAQEPF</a></p>— Mohamed Bouhafsi (@mohamedbouhafsi) <a href="https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/1138821785506516998?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 12, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mino Raiola met the sports director of #PSG Antero Henrique this morning in Paris. Both parties discussed at length on De Ligt's contractual desires. Ajax asks for 75M €! De Ligt must now make his choice.

Home of Barca Fans