Mats Hummels

Yugi

I´ve watched Dortmund vs Dusseldorf few days ago
and Hummels was :worthy:
dat hair :worthy:
dat hummelsbauer in him :worthy:
dat leadership :worthy:
we should just splash 50M on him this winter because many clubs will be interested in him after EURO12

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I have to agree, I am feeling a massive man crush for Hummels right now...I don't know if he has the ideal speed/quickness I hoped for but he anticipates & reads the game so well - I think he could succeed where others have failed before him...Has a good engine and strength, seems fearless...and eager to go forward...Some Pique sans the backheel

BTW, he has a very accurate right leg but rarely gets a pass off with his left...Is he right dominant most times in his play?

B

barcelonista

He made some crucial mistakes in the Champions League and he's not Löw's first choice centre back either apparently. The hype around him is immense though since he's a young German player and Germany is beating England, Argentina and Netherlands by 3 or 4 goals recently (hence why the only hyped Dortmund players are Hummels and Götze for some reason). I don't know what to think about him yet. It's the second year in a row now that Dortmund completely flopped outside the Bundesliga. So I've really no idea what to make of the Dortmund players. Why isn't Badstuber hyped like that for example? Badstuber plays for Bayern (who have an outstandig defensive record this season) and he's prefered by Löw.

Last edited:

Clockwise

Buccaneer
He made some crucial mistakes in the Champions League and he's not Löw's first choice centre back either apparently. The hype around him is immense though since he's a young German player and Germany is beating England, Argentina and Netherlands by 3 or 4 goals recently (hence why the only hyped Dortmund players are Hummels and Götze for some reason). I don't know what to think about him yet. It's the second year in a row now that Dortmund completely flopped outside the Bundesliga. So I've really no idea what to make of the Dortmund players. Why isn't Badstuber hyped like that for example? Badstuber plays for Bayern (who have an outstandig defensive record this season) and he's prefered by Löw.

Both of these guys are very very young defenders and Badstuber has also made some foolish mistakes or stupid tackles. Badstuber also has a better Midfield in front of him than Hummels does. From what I have seen from Germany at the national stage I don't think Hummels and Badstuber can work very smoothly together so one would be benched for the other but as you said B is preferrd to Hummels it seems. and idk why, because comparing these two, Badstuber may be marginally batter at passing than Hummels, Also risks the possession less and doesn't often try long range passes as Hummels does. Badstuber is less creative compared to Hummels and doesn't read the game as fast and as well imo. In other aspects like, man marking, pace, headers, tackling or ball control, Hummels obviously better than Badstuber.
so finally Hummels > Badstuber but he still loses in pecking order

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Right about Hummels making a few fumbles in CL and NT this year. But he was very consistent in the BL this season ... once again.

I however also rate Badstuber very highly. He is having an enormous season after being indeed a bit shaky last season - which however was true for the whole Bayern team.

@Clockwise: some things i disagree with in your post...

Badstuber doesnt really have a better MF imo. Schweinsteiger is great ofc, but Dortmunds DM (Bender) is far superior to Luiz Gustavo or Tymoshuk. And Dortmunds outside MF (esp. Großkreutz) also do more defensive work than Ribery and Robben. Also Badstuber is actually the more creative/ more playmaking CD of the two - even though having less long balls, which just is much less Bayerns and esp. the NTs game, as it is a tactical choice for Dortmund. Hummels strenght however lies in positioning and pressing with very good timing for tackling and moving forward out the line. Both however complement each other nicely imo, so that id really like to see both being the CDs of choice in the EC next year.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
As some body already mentioned, Hummels and Pique combo would get lost in their own awesomeness and we'd get fucked. Some things are probably just not meant to be :(

B

barcelonista

Both of these guys are very very young defenders and Badstuber has also made some foolish mistakes or stupid tackles. Badstuber also has a better Midfield in front of him than Hummels does. From what I have seen from Germany at the national stage I don't think Hummels and Badstuber can work very smoothly together so one would be benched for the other but as you said B is preferrd to Hummels it seems. and idk why, because comparing these two, Badstuber may be marginally batter at passing than Hummels, Also risks the possession less and doesn't often try long range passes as Hummels does. Badstuber is less creative compared to Hummels and doesn't read the game as fast and as well imo. In other aspects like, man marking, pace, headers, tackling or ball control, Hummels obviously better than Badstuber.
so finally Hummels > Badstuber but he still loses in pecking order

Don't get me wrong. I have no idea who is better, Badstuber or Hummels, since I've followed Dortmund closely only towards the end of last season when they were on top of the table by a country mile. I'm just curious why everyone in the Internet seem to agree that the latter's the best young defender in the world but Löw doesn't even pick him. You know: nowadays people tend to hype players whom they don't even watch but because everyone in the Internet says so. So they just jump on the bandwaggon. Deulofeu is the textbook example. After Villa's injury I've read culés saying things like: "Time for Deulofeu to shine." WTF?! The lad doesn't even look ready for the second division, hence why he's still a bench player. Or labeling Grimaldo as our future LB just because they've seen that one YouTube clip about a 15 year old kid. So I'm just a bit causious with Internet opinions (I'm not reading many opinions about Subotic? What about him?). I somehow doubt all the football fans in the Internet follow Dortmund closely enough to form a valid opinion on their players.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Don't get me wrong. I have no idea who is better, Badstuber or Hummels, since I've followed Dortmund closely only towards the end of last season when they were on top of the table by a country mile. I'm just curious why everyone in the Internet seem to agree that the latter's the best young defender in the world but Löw doesn't even pick him. You know: nowadays people tend to hype players whom they don't even watch but because everyone in the Internet says so. So they just jump on the bandwaggon. Deulofeu is the textbook example. After Villa's injury I've read culés saying things like: "Time for Deulofeu to shine." WTF?! The lad doesn't even look ready for the second division, hence why he's still a bench player. Or labeling Grimaldo as our future LB just because they've seen that one YouTube clip about a 15 year old kid. So I'm just a bit causious with Internet opinions (I'm not reading many opinions about Subotic? What about him?). I somehow doubt all the football fans in the Internet follow Dortmund closely enough to form a valid opinion on their players.
Its true that Hummels is only playing a more important role in the NT lately, but wasnt given a lot of playtime earlier from Löw. But let me explain the (supposed) reasons:

- Löw wants an experienced man to organize the defense. He always went fine with it from 2006 onwards. And thats why Mertesacker was 1st choice for a long time and might still be.
- He also wants a technically strong CD who is good in the buildup with GROUND passes. Thats why Badstuber is in (who btw is having an excellent season so far in Munich). Hummels is more keen on using long balls from the backline, b/c its part of Dortmunds tactics - and he naturally did that in the NT too then. But thats sth that Löw just doesnt want to see from his team and is thus the supposed main reason for Hummels being left out for quite a while.

Hummels is however seeing much more play lately and i hope he will pass Mertesacker in Löws pecking order. Löw just has to get fine with playing a 23 yr old CD defense at he EC. Which would also be the right thing to do from just looking at the kicker grades. Hummels is No 1 defensive player there by quite a margin.

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Right about Hummels making a few fumbles in CL and NT this year. But he was very consistent in the BL this season ... once again.

I however also rate Badstuber very highly. He is having an enormous season after being indeed a bit shaky last season - which however was true for the whole Bayern team.

@Clockwise: some things i disagree with in your post...

Badstuber doesnt really have a better MF imo. Schweinsteiger is great ofc, but Dortmunds DM (Bender) is far superior to Luiz Gustavo or Tymoshuk. And Dortmunds outside MF (esp. Großkreutz) also do more defensive work than Ribery and Robben. Also Badstuber is actually the more creative/ more playmaking CD of the two - even though having less long balls, which just is much less Bayerns and esp. the NTs game, as it is a tactical choice for Dortmund. Hummels strenght however lies in positioning and pressing with very good timing for tackling and moving forward out the line. Both however complement each other nicely imo, so that id really like to see both being the CDs of choice in the EC next year.

Well,these are what I've gathered from my limited Bundesliga watch > I think Dortmunds midfield still has not recovered from losing Sahin And Bayern's mid with Schweinsteiger could easily control the game and remove so much pressure from defense line.

Also the reason I think both can not play together yet is that they are two young and inexperienced defenders with a tendency to lose concentration sometimes, so Löw may prefer to have a more mature experienced CB alongside either of them.Other than that since you're a regular bundesliga follower I've got a question, some people say Hummels and Pique can't be a smooth defensive pair because they are too similar don't you think that would be the case to Badstuber-Hummels in NT as well?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Well,these are what I've gathered from my limited Bundesliga watch > I think Dortmunds midfield still has not recovered from losing Sahin And Bayern's mid with Schweinsteiger could easily control the game and remove so much pressure from defense line.

Also the reason I think both can not play together yet is that they are two young and inexperienced defenders with a tendency to lose concentration sometimes, so Löw may prefer to have a more mature experienced CB alongside either of them.Other than that since you're a regular bundesliga follower I've got a question, some people say Hummels and Pique can't be a smooth defensive pair because they are too similar don't you think that would be the case to Badstuber-Hummels in NT as well?
Sahins transfer was a blow for dortmund ofc, but defensively, i.e. regarding keeping pressure off the backline, i still rate Dortmunds midfield to be stronger. The outside players do more in Dortmund (although Ribery really stepped up this season) and Bayerns biggest problems is still the holding midfielder - which is usually the one who keeps the most pressure of the CDs. And Bender is just a much better and more reliable ball winner compared to both Luiz Gustavo and Tymoshuk (would have been different if Bayern actually got Vidal as they apparently expected). So id still say that the Dortmund CD has it 'more easy' than Bayerns backline.

Regarding a Hummels-Pique partnership i really dont see the problem. Esp. as Hummels can play a similar role to Puyol - as fearless, attacking stopper. Thats where he shines anyway, due to his brilliant anticipation combined with his physical strength and height.

Home of Barca Fans