Manchester City

Newcomer

If City dont challenge the whole validity of FFP I think that answers the question. Lets wait and see.

I can only see them challenging the whole validity as the last attempt since it is the most risky. If they can get away by showing UEFA put up a bad investigation, why risk more ?

JamDav1982

I can only see them challenging the whole validity as the last attempt since it is the most risky. If they can get away by showing UEFA put up a bad investigation, why risk more ?

Why would they not challenge it now? Or five years ago?

What is the risk if they think it is possible to get rid altogether?

Newcomer

Why City doesn't do like PSG, bribe and buy UEFA?

It seems that only PSG can do whatever and get away with it.

Because PSG didn't do what City has done.

PSG got done like City for their previous break even non compliance. They had a fine and squad restriction for some years.

City here is accused to untruthful reports of their financial situation for their UEFA Licensing and FFP. PSG didn't do untruthful reports. Everyone and their mother know about QTA and UEFA never stops to decrease it until it made it disappear altogether.

Newcomer

Why would they not challenge it now? Or five years ago?

What is the risk if they think it is possible to get rid altogether?

They didn't challenge previously because the sanctions were mild. In his own words, the City chairman said : We'll take a pinch over FFP to keep winning titles.

Now, we are talking about a 2 year ban. This is unprecedented.

If you had read the article i posted, even the experts in sports, law and economics can't say what the verdict would be if the legality of FFP was brought up to a civil court. It is possible the club would win but it is also possible that the club would lose. This is why clubs seek agreement with UEFA. It is like the nuclear bomb, you hold it not to use it but as a deterrent. UEFA put the gloves out with their "nuclear" verdict so City might try to use their "nuclear weapon".

The risk of challenging FFP in court is being banned by UEFA. But City is already getting banned. What more do they have to lose ?

JamDav1982

They didn't challenge previously because the sanctions were mild. In his own words, the City chairman said : We'll take a pinch over FFP to keep winning titles.

Now, we are talking about a 2 year ban. This is unprecedented.

If you had read the article i posted, even the experts in sports, law and economics can't say what the verdict would be if the legality of FFP was brought up to a civil court. It is possible the club would win but it is also possible that the club would lose. This is why clubs seek agreement with UEFA. It is like the nuclear bomb, you hold it not to use it but as a deterrent. UEFA put the gloves out with their "nuclear" verdict so City might try to use their "nuclear weapon".

The risk of challenging FFP in court is being banned by UEFA. But City is already getting banned. What more do they have to lose ?

Having 'mild sanctions' does not explain why City would not have challenged the legality long before now if felt it to be illegal.

On what basis are you claiming City challenging legality of FFP would see them banned by UEFA?

The experts in that article outline different avenues it could be challenged and it is finished off by saying unlikely to succeed.

Newcomer

Having 'mild sanctions' does not explain why City would not have challenged the legality long before now if felt it to be illegal.

On what basis are you claiming City challenging legality of FFP would see them banned by UEFA?

The experts in that article outline different avenues it could be challenged and it is finished off by saying unlikely to succeed.

Reconnaissance des statuts de l’UEFA Article 59 Statuts des associations 1
Les associations doivent inscrire dans leurs statuts une disposition selon laquelle elles-mêmes, leurs ligues, clubs, joueurs et officiels s’engagent à respecter en tout temps les statuts, règlements et décisions de l’UEFA, ainsi qu’à reconnaître la compétence du Tribunal Arbitral du Sport (TAS) à Lausanne(Suisse), telle qu’elle est prévue dans les présents statuts.

Obligation des associations 2
Elles doivent s’assurer que leurs ligues, clubs, joueurs et officiels reconnaissent et acceptent de tels engagements.

Participation à une compétition de l’UEFA 3
Tout participant à une compétition de l’UEFA doit, au moment de s’y inscrire, confirmer par écrit à l’UEFA que lui-même ainsi que ses joueurs et officiels ont reconnu et accepté de tels engagements.

Not saying they would be banned for questionning it with CAS but for going in another court. I have already agreed with you that CAS is very unlikely to rule in City favor.

Yeah, they re saying there is room to challenge it even if it can be unlikely to succeed. Until there is a ruling, it is not known. In the same article, it is written how unlikely it was for Bosman ruling to happen until it the case was actually brought up.

In 2014, PSG and City could still compete and could still buy players even if it was capped. Mid sanctions not worthy to go to war.
Now, tell me why City wouldn't try everything at their disposal when they are facing a 2 year ban ? What do they have to lose at this point ?

Barcilliant

You can guarantee that the Sheikh will take this as far as possible. It would be pretty easy IMHO to argue that the rules are too restrictive and actually protect the current big clubs. This is more a matter of prestige for the Abu Dhabi rulers than a case of money or sport.

gregorrin10

No way this holds...too much money and influence...we're not talking about poor old Milan here after all, who couldn't and even wouldn't fight it, because they couldn't get into the top 4 in the league anyway...

But in the unlikely event that it does hold, we really should be looking to poach as many of their players as we can this summer. Starting with first bringing Pep back home, and let him do the complete overhaul he wanted to do in 2012 already. Bring back with him B. Silva, Gabriel Jesus and Laporte (but he seems to be just as injury prone as Umtiti, so a big question mark there). Hell, just make a push for KDB, while you're at it, why not? :lol: Not that we could afford any, much less all of these, don't mind me, just a guy day dreaming here. :p

Last edited:

Newcomer

You can guarantee that the Sheikh will take this as far as possible. It would be pretty easy IMHO to argue that the rules are too restrictive and actually protect the current big clubs. This is more a matter of prestige for the Abu Dhabi rulers than a case of money or sport.

Ofc, a reminder of what their chairman said : City has been aggressive in its approach to UEFA’s financial regulations for years. According to one of the leaked emails, details of which were published by the German outlet Der Spiegel, a club lawyer, Simon Cliff, cited the club’s chairman during an earlier financial fair play investigation as saying “he would rather spend 30 million pounds on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them for the next 10 years.”

Mitchell1978

No way this holds...too much money and influence...we're not talking about poor old Milan here after all, who couldn't and even wouldn't fight it, because they couldn't get into the top 4 in the league anyway...

But in the unlikely event that it does hold, we really should be looking to poach as many of their players as we can this summer. Starting with first bringing Pep back home, and let him do the complete overhaul he wanted to do in 2012 already. Bring back with him B. Silva, Gabriel Jesus and Laporte (but he seems to be just as injury prone as Umtiti, so a big question mark there). Hell, just make a push for KDB, while you're at it, why not? :lol: Not that we could afford any, much less all of these, don't mind me, just a guy day dreaming here. :p

Also what i think, these big sporting clubs are to powerfull and rich now, they'll go to whatever court they need to to get this overturned, City almost has onlimited resources.

Messi983

FFFS we will now lose to them because it's their last chance. Dammit.

Lol no, you won't. They are s***. RM will win for 3+ goals in aggregate.

Also, there won't be any firesale. They could sell a player or two but not everyone. Pep will probably leave to Juve though but I've expected this to happen even before this ban. His cycle at the club has ended and he knows that.

Last edited:

Devils

I don't think UEFA would have handed them such an unprecedented sanction if they didn't commit some serious and incredibly guilty shit. I wont be easy to overturn imo.

Home of Barca Fans