Luka Jović

Raketa10

You cannot replace Suárez directly as things stand now. The tiny number of strikers that might be able to replace him are not available.

Have you watched him extensively for you to be so certain about him flopping and not even being on the level of Paco? The same Paco that has inferior numbers to him while playing for a vastly superior team (Dortmund) that creates many more chances than Frankfurt. Being 5 years older as well and more experienced.

If rumors are to be believed the board disagrees with you and Jovic is one of their favorites. He won't be too expensive either. Young, scores goals (in a variety of ways so not a one-trick pony), highly rated, a fighter and great all-round abilities (if reports are to be believed and what Frankfurt fans are saying about him). What is there not to like?

You have more realistic options in mind that will likely cost as little as Jovic will? Or is it the typical antipathy towards anything Serbian as almost every user that is against us buying him is a Croatian like you. Seems like there is a pattern here. Either that or you guys see something that most of Europe is not seeing, namely that he is some average Serbian bloke playing in Frankfurt. No offense.

Maxi Gómez is a worse option stylistically speaking. Much less mobile and explosive. If you think that Jovic is a bad fit, you will like the Maxi Gómez option even less.

My personal favorite of young upcoming strikers is Richarlison but he won't be sold for anything less than €80-100 million if he keeps improving. Him and Lautaro Martínez who has yet to prove his worth in Inter after a bad start. There are not many other really promising strikers out there who tick most of the boxes while being poachers/having an eye for a goal at the same time. Even the likes of Richarlison and Martínez are unknowns similar to the likes of Pépé and others at this point in time.

Or do you want us to pay €100 million for that unknown Benfica kid that is a hybrid between a number 10 and 9 and who has 10 full professional games under his belt as a 19 year old? Jovic is a serial winner. Won in Serbia, won in Portugal (albeit with little to no role) and won with Frankfurt (DFB-Pokal) against Bayern where he was outstanding in the final. Played in a World Cup too. Now he is the topscorer in arguably the third or at least fourth best league in the world as a recently turned 21 year old playing for an average side. Scoring plenty of goals in the Europa League for what it is worth as well.

If he fails, he will be shipped out and one of the flavors of the season will be bought as usual. We will always have quality players (strikers in particular) playing for us. No other club has had as many elite strikers as we have had historically speaking.

At least he won't cost what your favorite Coutinho, that you defend constantly, cost us. €160 fucking million and about to become the biggest flop in football history given his price and comparing that with the expectations and his actual performances here 1+ year into his career for us.

Dude WTF is wrong with you honestly? Are you crazy? No I don't like him because he is nowhere near the quality Barca needs not because he is Serbian. He'll never be a starting material for Barca. Do you think someone from Croatia would say Oblak is shit because he is Slovenian??? Jesus Christ some of you really need to think twice before you start writing. What do you expect me to say after this? And you arguments are absurd! He won in Serbia?! Well big deal! Croatian player Rog won everything in Croatia so should we sign him also? No because he is shit. I have no words for some of you.

Oh and one more thing, I have few Serbian friends for who I can say are great people so if someone thinks Croatians hate Serbs in general than he is a psychopath. Yeah we were in war 28 years ago but we don't hate each other in general. Maybe some peole have problems with other nationalities but I have absolutely nothing against Serbs or anyone else. There will always be idiots from both sides but some of us really don't care about the nationality but we rather look if someone is a good person or not.

Last edited:

Riordon

BTW, the striker position is one of the only positions on pitch where we shouldn't go cheap. It's a very important position and we have always had superstars there. Its not this position where we should think about money.

For me its pretty easy: Does Jovic has the potential to be a top three CF within some years?

No. And your CF needs to be that good.

Leo_Messi

BTW, the striker position is one of the only positions on pitch where we shouldn't go cheap. It's a very important position and we have always had superstars there. Its not this position where we should think about money.

For me its pretty easy: Does Jovic has the potential to be a top three CF within some years?

No. And your CF needs to be that good.

What is your realistic alternative? Please enlighten me. I mentioned all of the young talented strikers out there who are rumored to top clubs. None of them are arguably any better let alone much better than the Jovic option. In fact based on the likely price none of them are better options.

I would want us to buy Mbappé if we could but he is not a realistic option. Or Lewandowski for 2-3 seasons. Won't happen though.

Porque

To me, Jovic looks the best option currently available. Does that mean he will make it here? Probably not.

As someone alluded to already, with Valverde no one is benching Suarez. Look at the trash minutes Paco got as supersub compared to at Dortmund who use him in the exact same capacity.

This summer we got Malcom before he tested waters at a big money selling B level club (Dortmund/Roma/Arsenal/Lyon). A similar deal to what to what getting Jovic from Frankfurt would be. What good did that do? Nothing really, as every time he showed promise he went back to the ice box. That will be Jovic.

Raketa10

To me, Jovic looks the best option currently available. Does that mean he will make it here? Probably not.

As someone alluded to already, with Valverde no one is benching Suarez. Look at the trash minutes Paco got as supersub compared to at Dortmund who use him in the exact same capacity.

This summer we got Malcom before he tested waters at a big money selling B level club (Dortmund/Roma/Arsenal/Lyon). A similar deal to what to what getting Jovic from Frankfurt would be. What good did that do? Nothing really, as every time he showed promise he went back to the ice box. That will be Jovic.

Than we shouldn't buy him! Simple as that. We should wait for the right opportunity.

xXKonan

Finding a good young striker these days seems about as rare as finding a good RB that isn't a young talent.

I like the looks of Jovic, but again there's a question mark if he could possibly be a long term successor to Suarez.

Alik

We definitely need someone who can rotate Suarez, even if it's not a long-term solution.

khaled_a_d

Or do you want us to pay €100 million for that unknown Benfica kid that is a hybrid between a number 10 and 9 and who has 10 full professional games under his belt as a 19 year old?

Felix is having a similar start to Mpabbe, once he got promoted he was dominant in the 1st team level. His movements screams world class abilities as modern day goal scorer
By the end of the year we might have bigger sample size to decide how good he is, but I won't like the idea of making a decision in February just to miss on another bigger talent.
Some patience will be best for everyone

Jombi

Felix seems to be a support forward or left forward, not a striker playing alone up front. Thats a problem. And the price could become crazy if he does well in Europe this spring, so we should probably have his preferred position available if we sign him. Rafael Leao is one to watch too and he's actually a striker.

Arizona Scott

What is your realistic alternative? Please enlighten me. I mentioned all of the young talented strikers out there who are rumored to top clubs. None of them are arguably any better let alone much better than the Jovic option. In fact based on the likely price none of them are better options.

I would want us to buy Mbappé if we could but he is not a realistic option. Or Lewandowski for 2-3 seasons. Won't happen though.

Well no I wouldn't want to touch Lewa. Suarez is still better than him right now (on most days).

But I agree we cannot wait. To replace Suarez with the young/prime Suarez is 200+ million buy.

If 50 million gets you a good enough player to be in the rotation at #9 right now, do it. If he grows in a long term starter that is a bonus. Evaluate him (from just a brief view of Frankfurt I was actually more impressed with his front line teammates), Pepe, Werner, Richarlson, figure who can most help the next few years to share the load with Suarez while Messi is still best in the world, and spring for it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Honestly not sure what to think about this. Seem to be a good finisher, but plays like a poor man's Icardi from the little I have seen.

Felix seems to be a support forward or left forward, not a striker playing alone up front. Thats a problem. And the price could become crazy if he does well in Europe this spring, so we should probably have his preferred position available if we sign him. Rafael Leao is one to watch too and he's actually a striker.

Leao seem to be an interesting name. Haven't seen him, but his stats are great. Will keep an eye of him if I can.

Last edited:

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Luka just turned 21 little over a month ago, we are not buying him for what he is ATM but for what he could be. There is a reason why some of the big teams want to sign this kid. He is the top scorer in the BL right now, ahead of Lewandowski for example who played close to 500 minutes more than LUka. I will be absolutely fine with anything less than 50mil for him. There aren't a lot of promising young strikers out there, Suarez isn't going anywhere the next season or two so Luka is definitely worth the gamble.

Home of Barca Fans