Luis Suárez

raskolnikov

at 3 minutes 57 and Eto'o says an interesting sentence.
he says he was the unloved one of the Spanish press.

it's the same with Dembélé now!

Eto’o always had a big ego. I renember him being unhappy about Dinho getting more love and the ballon d’or.
He also straight up bullied Dongou out of the cameroon national team. He is cut from the same cloth as the other big ego type guys who clashed with Pep. Fair to say he was discriminated against a lot in Spain by fans. I cant recall if he got the sterling threatment by the media.

Kul_z

Eto'o is our legend, so better respect that man(two games two goals in cl finals) but he is thing of past, and kraken is still playing so its ungrateful to compare them until suarez goes in retirement. We should focus on tommorow, and oh god how i love to say this when suarez is playing good: unleash the kraken!

Total-Football

Eto’o always had a big ego. I renember him being unhappy about Dinho getting more love and the ballon d’or.
He also straight up bullied Dongou out of the cameroon national team. He is cut from the same cloth as the other big ego type guys who clashed with Pep. Fair to say he was discriminated against a lot in Spain by fans. I cant recall if he got the sterling threatment by the media.

u should check where did u get that info about jealousy from dinho because its false. Being a francophone like him, and having watched many many of his interviews, i attest that Etoo never considered or called himself better than any of ronney, messi or even iniesta or henry. He spoke very highly of ronaldinho every single chance.

BBZ8800

Was gonna say how good it would be if we had Eto right now, but he wouldn't even be making bench under EV :lol:

Well, he was way better than Dembele and Malcom and he defended like crazy, so he would have found his place.
Also, he was able to play at both wings and as a Cf.

u should check where did u get that info about jealousy from dinho because its false. Being a francophone like him, and having watched many many of his interviews, i attest that Etoo never considered or called himself better than any of ronney, messi or even iniesta or henry. He spoke very highly of ronaldinho every single chance.

In 2004/05 season, when we were winning our first La liga after 5 years, Etoo was really on fire.
In that season, imo, he was our best player and better than Ronaldinho.

Later Ronaldinho reached his crazy levels.
But there was a talk in Mundo Deportivo and Sport back then how Etoo (or his manager?) said that Etoo would have won a Ballon D Or if he weren't from Cameroon, and there was some talk how Bdor (and Fifa back then) favors Brasilians and players from big countries.
I also do remember those rumors.

Regarding Suarez vs Etoo, Suarez probably is a better finisher.
But Etoo was better allround footballer, with better technique, pace, movement, dribbles.

Also, Etoo never played with prime Messi.
It is hard to tell how many goals would have Etoo scored with current Messi's magical passes (to Suarez).

This was a season when Etoo (for me) was even better and more important for us than Ronaldinho, 2004/05, his first season at Barca:

Also, back then there wasn't 6:1, 8:1, 10:1 and similar trashings in La liga like in the last 10 years.
Back then matches were closer to 2:1, 2:0 all the time than to 5:0.

Imo, the differences between Barca/Real and smaller clubs weren't as large as today.
I guess that income and huge differences "exploded" in the last 10 years.

** Even though, it is true that Etoo was getting in a lot of chances (due to his pace and positioning), he was scoring a lot, but also missing a lot of sitters.
In numbers, I had a feeling that over 10 matches, Etoo would get into 50 chances and scored 10 goals.
While slower Suarez would get into 30 chances over 10 matches, and also scored 10, due to a better finishing.

Last edited:

clemente

Well, he was way better than Dembele and Malcom and he defended like crazy, so he would have found his place.

He would occasionally make the bench under EV, like everyone else, and you can't really know if Malcom doesn't defend as much as him, or how good he is in other positions.

serghei

In 2004/05 season, when we were winning our first La liga after 5 years, Etoo was really on fire.
In that season, imo, he was our best player and better than Ronaldinho.

Later Ronaldinho reached his crazy levels.
But there was a talk in Mundo Deportivo and Sport back then how Etoo (or his manager?) said that Etoo would have won a Ballon D Or if he weren't from Cameroon, and there was some talk how Bdor (and Fifa back then) favors Brasilians and players from big countries.
I also do remember those rumors.

Regarding Suarez vs Etoo, Suarez probably is a better finisher.
But Etoo was better allround footballer, with better technique, pace, movement, dribbles.

Also, Etoo never played with prime Messi.
It is hard to tell how many goals would have Etoo scored with current Messi's magical passes (to Suarez).

This was a season when Etoo (for me) was even better and more important for us than Ronaldinho, 2004/05, his first season at Barca:

Also, back then there wasn't 6:1, 8:1, 10:1 and similar trashings in La liga like in the last 10 years.
Back then matches were closer to 2:1, 2:0 all the time than to 5:0.

Imo, the differences between Barca/Real and smaller clubs weren't as large as today.
I guess that income and huge differences "exploded" in the last 10 years.

** Even though, it is true that Etoo was getting in a lot of chances (due to his pace and positioning), he was scoring a lot, but also missing a lot of sitters.
In numbers, I had a feeling that over 10 matches, Etoo would get into 50 chances and scored 10 goals.
While slower Suarez would get into 30 chances over 10 matches, and also scored 10, due to a better finishing.

Nice post. In general I would say Eto'o was almost as important as Ronaldinho for Barcelona. He was the main scorer of the team in every season, and he scored a lot of great goals.

Xaviniesta

All Icardi needed was once chance and he scored. Suarez can't be this wasteful in the later rounds of the CL because it will cost us big time

Nothanks

honestly was unlucky not to score, the positives are that he is getting in the areas, being a huge presence and annoyance on defenders
the goals will come if he keeps at it like this

raskolnikov

I always feel Suarez really dislikes Dembele. It shows so much in his choices when passing, reactions, body language everything. Especially when you compare it to Coutinho for example. Its a shame because he can be like Sterling to him in 2014.

Home of Barca Fans