Luis Enrique quits after this season!

F

FlaFCB

CdR is important because teams are still heavily competing for it. Europa level teams go all out in it, yet it's one of the big three winning it. Barca winning both domestic trophies for two, (three?) years in a row means barça has beat 4 (6?) times in a row the competition of RM, Atletico, Sevilla, etc, in the era of spanish archdominance as verified by the UEFA rankings. That's a ludicrous achievement, but not one that casual people that make up the larger audience of football will recognize.

That's because the europa level teams can't win the league. But winning only the cdr doesn't make a season successful for Barça. While it'd be historical for a team like Alavés.

There are level of success too. Winning the domestic double is great. But I think winning only the CL is even better than that.

That's because the europa level teams can't win the league. But winning only the cdr doesn't make a season successful for Barça. While it'd be historical for a team like Alavés.

There are level of success too. Winning the domestic double is great. But I think winning only the CL is even better than that.

Of course the league is harder. My point is that these are good teams trying their best to win a trophy with CdR, and still fall short because the biggest clubs also value the copa a lot. I also think people here would view copa differently if we won it less.

A lone copa win isn't a succesful season for barca, rm, or arguably Atletico, but it is a big consolation prize and very different from a blank season.

There's no official metric to judge if the double or a lone CL is better, CL win is certainly more popular though.

F

FlaFCB

Of course the league is harder. My point is that these are good teams trying their best to win a trophy with CdR, and still fall short because the biggest clubs also value the copa a lot. I also think people here would view copa differently if we won it less.

A lone copa win isn't a succesful season for barca, rm, or arguably Atletico, but it is a big consolation prize and very different from a blank season.

There's no official metric to judge if the double or a lone CL is better, CL win is certainly more popular though.

Those perceptions will change in time, after Messi retires, and we get weaker. That's why I think only one CL with MSN is underwhelming. Even more after spending 100m in the summer. Priority should had been the CL, not the treble. And Lucho had everything to achieve that, if he had done better signings and planning.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you people talk as if CL is something you can expect to win every year or every other year.
It takes a lot of luck to win it, you can't just expect it to happen.

Horatio

You're welcome
Some of you people talk as if CL is something you can expect to win every year or every other year.

I am of the same opinion.

The way I see it: you can only win CL every 3-4 years.
Best is to pick up as many La Liga and Copa titles in the meantime.

snowy

and once Messi retires, Ney might leave as well to other pastures.
That means less talent magnet, less sponsorship and an accelerating downward spiral.

To attract world class players, they could've exploited the prestige of just winning the treble + being Messi's teammate factor. Once MSN goes, with less sponsorship and no magnet factor, whoever does the signings will have much less margin for error. Messi's been saving this board from going the way of the dodo for quite a while now.

F

FlaFCB

It's not just luck. Barça had no luck in 2015. rm had luck last season, and so did chelsea in 2012, but most of the time it's not just that. And Barça should be looking to maximize our CL wins while Messi is here, for sure. Even more with MSN. That won't last forever.

I'm not sure how much the treble obsession became a problem. Somehow I hope it's only something from fans, and that coaches aren't drawn to that as much. They should have some priorities in order.

Horatio

You're welcome
It's not just luck. Barça had no luck in 2015. rm had luck last season, and so did chelsea in 2012, but most of the time it's not just that. And Barça should be looking to maximize our CL wins while Messi is here, for sure. Even more with MSN.

I'm not sure how much the treble obsession became a problem. Somehow I hope it's only something from fans, and that coaches aren't drawn to that as much. They should have some priorities in order.

We had luck in the sense that our team clicked with the new transfers, peaked at the right time and Bayern had some injuries.
But we were strong and totally deserved to win it that year. No one will question that.

F

FlaFCB

We had luck in the sense that our team clicked with the new transfers, peaked at the right time and Bayern had some injuries.
But we were strong and totally deserved to win it that year. No one will question that.

That's not luck. There was still the backbone of the best Barça, and that helped. Since then we lost Xavi and Alves, and that's why some better signings could had helped a lot.

LeeRomeno

If Leicester were to win the CL it would blow their league win out the water in terms of how impressive and how much recognition they get for it.

If any team were to retain the CL it would be a much bigger and more impressive achievement than back to back domestic leagues.

This is where i disagree completely. For a club like Leicester (or any other relegation battling club), winning a league means that u must be on average better than your opponent, who is in reality better than you 38 times on average. This is what Leicester did, they beat the odds 5000-1 and won Premier league. This means overachieving for 38 times ahead of bigger better clubs. Entire season!
Now for club like Leicester to win Champions League, it means on worse case scenario doing the same stuff, overcoming the odds and overachieving in 6 group stage games (do not even have to win them all, just enough points to advance) + 7 times in playoffs. Once again u dont have win against your opponents all the time, goal differences, away goals and all that other nonsense comes into play. Put those 2 into perspective and anyone will see that relegation battling squad to win domestic league, ANY domestic league is by far superior achievement than any cup tournament ever will be.
Also look at Leicester luck this season regarding the draw. They ended up in weakest group and had no issues getting pass (so you quite often even do not have to overachieve if the club is from major league) and got a lucky away goal in Sevilla, while being close to bottom of table in Premier.

It is totally different case for squad like Barcelona. The odds of us winning La Liga in recent 10 years have been more or less 50%. We only have 1 (or lately 2) real opponents to worry about, we are just that much better than anyone and it is more or less the case of who chokes less and manages to win El Classicos. CL has alot more random elements involved, the 2-way tie makes it harder, u cannot compensate a bad result (like vs PSG) by winning 10 games in a row, u are out.

JamDav1982

How many times do people want to point out that there is more an element of randomness in league than CL???

If Leicester were to win the CL it would be the biggest football story ever most likely. For them to come out on top in the continent above the huge clubs there would put their league win in the shade by far.

LeeRomeno

How many times do people want to point out that there is more an element of randomness in league than CL???

If Leicester were to win the CL it would be the biggest football story ever most likely. For them to come out on top in the continent above the huge clubs there would put their league win in the shade by far.

Nope, especially considering they come from Premier League. You are looking at it from completely different perspective. I am approaching this as a math task. Which would be more unlikely. And club like Leicester winning a league tournament will always be more unlikely than them winning CL. Because CL is CHAMPIONS league. Every club there is a champion or then at least top of their respected country.
If u throw some random bottler like Osasuna for CL next season and then they end up winning it. Then maybe i would agree with you. But no way in hell would English champions winning champions league be somekind of miraculous occasion jesus.

Home of Barca Fans