Lucas Moura

Co0ter

It's ruining soccer. Same for the douche over at Chelsea (hilarious really, spends all this money on attacking players but just has them all sit inside their own net anyway, comedic gold).

"oh hey, i'm filthy rich....let me buy some random team that is open to a sugar daddy and buy them some titles".

you should be able to have investors, don't get me wrong, but it needs to be regulated far more severely. PSG has spent what, 110 million on 3 players so far this summer? It's just disgusting.

Galning

The funny thing is, if the owner leaves PSG, City, Chelsea etc.. they aren't capable of paying their players' wages.
I really would like to see PSG pay Ibra 15M/year without a sugar daddy.

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
I'm happy with Chelsea/Mancity/PSG... I think with more than few clubs able to buy top players, CL will be far more interesting. Just think of teams that might take place in last 8 of CL this season: Barca, Real, Bayern, ManCity, ManUtd, Chelsea, PSG (I hope)... That's much better than having the last few spots reserved for just 2-3 clubs. I don't know if I explained myself properly, but I hope you get my point.

Co0ter

A few successful clubs with lots of history frequently getting far in the CL isn't a problem. I know the teams from bigger cities have a bit of an advantage, whether it be due to population or tv rights etc, but that's always how its been. It's always been competitive regardless.

A team getting a rich billionaire investor and just throwing money, literally, at every good player you can think of....just hoping desperately they'll decide to join your club for money, is just pathetic. I wouldn't want to be a part of that team, neither would I support it. That's just me.

Sure it's fun to watch Man City or PSG play with all their stars now, but that doesn't mean I wasn't sickened when I saw City raising the Premier League trophy. Money over substance.

Ursegor

World Champion
why are you bringing inflation into it? His transfer fee has nothing to do with cost of living.

I hope you're not serious. If so: you haven't quite grasped the meaning of inflation, I'm afraid. Obviously everything has become more expensive since 2004. That's called inflation. If everything has become more expensive, it means for the same money you can buy less in 2012 than you could in 2004. Which means that £ 25 million in 2004 doesn't equal £ 25 million in 2012. Regardless if we're talking about transfer fees or "cost for living". It's the money itself that becomes less valuable.

Can't believe I'm explaining inflation in the Internet. Isn't this something you learn in elementary school?

Henry_IB

Banned
I hope you're not serious. If so: you haven't quite grasped the meaning of inflation, I'm afraid. Obviously everything has become more expensive since 2004. That's called inflation. If everything has become more expensive, it means for the same money you can buy less in 2012 than you could in 2004. Which means that £ 25 million in 2004 doesn't equal £ 25 million in 2012. Regardless if we're talking about transfer fees or "cost for living". It's the money itself that becomes less valuable.

Can't believe I'm explaining inflation in the Internet. Isn't this something you learn in elementary school?

It intrigues me what HBA meant with "cost of living", the response really doesn't make any sense.

Ursegor

World Champion
Here is an inflation-adjusted list of transfer fees by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_(association_football)#Players

Zidane cost a bit more than € 80 million. Which is quite a hefty sum for a 29 year old midfielder.

Lucas cost as much as Andy Carroll. 21 year old Pastore went for the same price. Wenger apparantely bid € 40 million for Götze. So I really don't get the outrage now. Weren't United themselves offering £ 30 million for Lucas?

Hatem Ben Arfa

I know exactly what inflation is. But I don't think it should be brought into this argument.

transfer fees started going stupid when Roman Abraovich came to town and now again with Mansour at Man City. It had sweet F.All to do with the economy and inflation. Is James Milner and Joleon Lescott costing £25 million pounds got anything to do with inflation?

If we are looking at 20 years ago, that is fine bring inflation into it.

Rooney cost less than Moura.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
I know exactly what inflation is.

You obviously haven't. And frankly spoken I don't know what else to respond since I already explained it to you. Inflation didn't begin with Roman or Mansour. It's the natural deflation of money. Really, WTF?! Is this a WUM attempt?

Henry_IB

Banned
Inflation goes up, so does the cost of living.

Right, that's how you meant it.

Anyway, if you truly think these new ridiculous transfer fees have nothing do to with inflation then, as Ursegor says, you don't understand the concept. However, you are also right in that sugar daddies also have contributed to these transfer fees.

It's a result of both.

Home of Barca Fans