Lucas Bergvall

fergus90

Can't really blame him. Deco is going to continue having a tough time convincing these young talents to join.

JamDav1982

Another embarrassment for Deco...

EPL is getting stronger and stronger pull.. that is players turning down Bayern and Barca for Spurs this window.

Barca fans/media will pull out the Cruyff quote and claim he wanted too much money as per usual.

Messi983

Disappointed but not surprised.

At least he went to the club I like and not to Chelsea or United. Will follow his career.

Devils

The only thing Laporta is capable of buying from Sweden is a big bowl of Swedish meatballs.

Barca's management is a disaster from the very top down.

Andresito

Staff member
Will be interesting to see how much he develops in the future.

To be fair, I've read good, not great, things about him. He's always been considered a top talent in Sweden from even a young age (like Xavi Simons for us) but a player like Hugo Larsson has higher ceiling.

Either way, if Spurs promised him minutes and good money it's a good move for him. He can always move to Spain later in his career. There are lots of talents to be discovered out there, now we have 7m to spend on someone else. It will always be a gamble.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
As a prospect, hard to debate his potential so undoubtedly his agreement with Spurs has to be viewed as a failure - not due to FFP or wage package or Barca ‘being finished’ but rather the signing strategy that has resulted in a number of late breakdowns under Deco. I think he looks like a marvelous talent but we all know the leap from there to WC is never guaranteed + Barça has no shortage of midfield considerations at their disposal to be damaging in short or long-term. For me, more about the optics

For most clubs, this is just part of the business but at a club like Barca it has to be contextualized in how you go about your business discretely yet effectively

From Spurs POV, no doubt they organized their approach well coupled with leveraging Kulusevski’s connection to the player & assurances of immediate 1st team football - those are aspects that should have been mitigated by Deco et al upon his recent visit to Barcelona

From Barcelona perspective going forward, have to ask the question of whether Deco is out of his depth because pull of Spurs is dwarfed by that of Barca irrespective of financial side to it as player rejected more lucrative packages to draw close to Barca. It was a late collapse and not the first for a Barca signing under Deco and again irrespective of coaching uncertainties. If I’m Laporta, less concerned about Bergvall specifically but how it impacts the club going forward considering the inability to win off the pitch & in the area where few clubs can compete

Porque

As a prospect, hard to debate his potential so undoubtedly his agreement with Spurs has to be viewed as a failure - not due to FFP or wage package or Barca ‘being finished’ but rather the signing strategy that has resulted in a number of late breakdowns under Deco. I think he looks like a marvelous talent but we all know the leap from there to WC is never guaranteed + Barça has no shortage of midfield considerations at their disposal to be damaging in short or long-term. For me, more about the optics

For most clubs, this is just part of the business but at a club like Barca it has to be contextualized in how you go about your business discretely yet effectively

From Spurs POV, no doubt they organized their approach well coupled with leveraging Kulusevski’s connection to the player & assurances of immediate 1st team football - those are aspects that should have been mitigated by Deco et al upon his recent visit to Barcelona

From Barcelona perspective going forward, have to ask the question of whether Deco is out of his depth because pull of Spurs is dwarfed by that of Barca irrespective of financial side to it as player rejected more lucrative packages to draw close to Barca. It was a late collapse and not the first for a Barca signing under Deco and again irrespective of coaching uncertainties. If I’m Laporta, less concerned about Bergvall specifically but how it impacts the club going forward considering the inability to win off the pitch & in the area where few clubs can compete

Great post.

The question is how we couldn't close the deal. We have a greater proof of concept that youth players will reach the first team than Spuds.

So even if this guy doesn't end up that good, it's the gesture that yet again we couldnt close a deal.

Worse still that he visited our club and setup after Spurs. And still couldn't convince him our project was better.

iniestaGOAT

Lucas Bergvall? Deco has been following him for a while. As far as I know, he still hasn't signed with Spurs, but their offer is higher than ours. They tell us that he plays like Frenkie. We offered him to start in Barça Atlétic with projection into first team."

khaled_a_d

From start we weren't the best offer, he had better offer with Frankfurt and now Spurs are said to be offering a package that could reach 20M. That is significant difference from the 6M initial offer.

Barca has way too many young players in his position, even younger ones than him. Fans were already asking why signing another CM.

I would say that under Deco we have put a financial limit to those highly rated prospect, so naturally we lose many. But this mostly because we are now targeting the 10M+ prospects rather than the 1-5M ones we were used to.
We finalised Darvish deal with ease, because he was in our usual cheap category.
Many fans wanted this, but it comes with significant costs as there is a bidding war with those sure things. Arda, F.Diaz, Echeverri, Guler & Bergvall of the world.

People keep using the term "closing the deal" but in reality what does it mean? Those guys has agents whose work is to use every way to maximise the potential earning and career of their client. You could accept all their demands and they will use your offer to leverage it to other clubs and get even higher deal. The "close the deal" is assuming that those agents are incompetent fools.

Home of Barca Fans