Louis Van Gaal

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
LvG got fired last night after Bayerns unnecessary draw in Nürnberg (bad goalie mistake) and Robbens sent off AFTER the final whistle.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Finally! There was really no use of keeping him any longer. Earlier Bayern gets a new coach, earlier he pulls all the strings and prepares for the next season.

DucdeOrléans

Indeed. He should have been fired as soon as Heynckes was confirmed as their new manager next season. Really a stupidity to keep him after that.

Barcilliant

Van Gaal's era was a frustrating one-for the fans also. He was/is not very likeable so the media gave him a hard time. Add to that the general situation with the president at Barca was pretty piss poor too. Anyone remember the amount of shitty signings back than?? Reiziger, Bogarde, Christenvaal, Dani, Petit. We would buy loads of crappy players (like Benitez at Liverpool)and even though we won the league we made no impact on the CL. Hell we even lost to friggin Newcastle!!

Van Gaal was great with Ajax but that was because he had the chance to mould a YOUNG team into what he wanted. He's always had clashes with senior and established players cause he's like a headmaster.

Back in the day I remember thinking how shit Xavi and Puyol were and wondering if we would ever replace them. They have come on brilliantly since but they did not have promising beginings believe me. Puyol was a liability-erratic, no defensive positioning and always making horrible mistakes. Xavi would be non-existent during those early games.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He really does a fine job with the youngsters as you noted. Despite all his faults we are in debt to him for ushering Puyol and Xavi and having faith in them when just about everyone thought they didn't have what it takes.

La Pulga

Hate that guy
I am sure that players who dealt with him hate him more though

i really doubt it. LvG is like a fatherfigure to a team strict but never says a bad thing about his team hence all his frustration is aimed at opponents or club directions etc. did you see ribery in van gaals first season at bayern. they supposedly quarreled but after a goal of his he sprang into louis' arms

Beast

The Observer
A deja vu of Van Gaal era in Barcelona

starts great , screw up later , introduce promising players.. fired

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I think it all started when van Gaal was still a player - 2nd choice playmaker of the Ajax team of the 70ies with just Cruyff blocking him out of that magnificent team.

Trickykid

Hah, that should make for some explosive fun with all the dutch primadonnas and a no nonsense Van Gaal. Recipe for disaster.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Was just wondering on your thoughts on Van Gaal, myself I'm pretty happy with the appointment, he's the best we had available to us, proven success rate, although comes with a bit of a history of falling out with big egos, which does not bode well for Rooney :lol:

Ursegor

World Champion
He ain't Moysie so that speaks for him.

I said a bit about him in the United thread.

LVB is a concept coach. He will install a modern training regime, aim for a cultivated football style and not be shy of using youngstars. Whether he will actually get super results week in week out remains to be seen. Bayern fans for example will probably think positively of him now in hindsight because he promoted youth like Müller, converted Schweinsteiger from a winger into a midfielder and generally changed their playing style. He left behind some lasting and positive changes. However he also got sacked for almost missing out on the CL - which would've been quite an achievement in Bundesliga with Bayern - and had set up one of the funniest defenses in the league. As a United fan you should remember how lucky Bayern were after the first half 3 goal onslaught at Old Trafford and then Rafael's red card and Robben's volley happened. And that season was actually his better one, despite relying on Robben so much.

His second stint at Barca was a catastrophe and he failed to qualify for WC 2002 with Netherlands. His CV isn't actually that great tbh but he's still regarded highly because like with Bielsa it isn't always about the results with van Gaal. To give you an idea what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised if next season you finish 3th or 4th which will obviously be a huge success compared to last season. But the season after you will stagnate, maybe even just about reach 4th in a turbulent season and get owned in the Champions League quarters which will result in van Gaal having a public go at the Glazers, falling out with Rooney, punching a journalist and then getting sacked. Yet his successor will walk the league and possibly even win the CL a few seasons later with a modern 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 system that van Gaal will have left behind with a few youngstars leading the team. That would be a typical van Gaal scenario. Does that make sense?

Home of Barca Fans