Lliga | Round 8: Atlético de Madrid vs. FC Barcelona 1-1

Giginho75

good point on a difficult field, against a strong team...
we cannot win every match...

messi always unbelievable...
all his balls are a danger for opponents...
despite two hard matches for world cup qualifiers

jairzinho

The way the first half went, you would not have thought we could have actually won it in the end, but we could have. The first 45 minutes were terrible.

Gomes' initial positioning was confusing. I'm not exactly sure what the plan was. But when he moved centrally, he didin't play too badly.

I really don't understand the strikerless approach sometimes. Saurez needs to stay central and occupy the center backs, make runs etc.

The occasional times when he drifts out wide to pull a defender out of position isn't bad, but he spent too much time playing out wide in the first half.

We were too narrow and static in the final third. The worst thing you can do against Athleti is to play narrow especially when they're defending deep with 2 banks of four in front Oblak.

Without Umtiti and Stegen we coud have let in a couple more.

When Deulofeu came on though, it really helped to open up the pitch and stretch the play. Saul himself admitted that was when things changed in the post match interview.

Overall not a bad point. Also alot of the players were jet lagged.

Last edited:

Total-Football

i honestly think the quality we showed in the second half has a lot to do with their fatigue rather than us being good. just like like klopp s teams simone always apply mad pressing in the first halves, even more so when he knows that the opposition s midfield cannot extricate itself with great passing. our ball passing is simply appalling, we have no answer to the slighest pressing but giving back the ball to stegen or clear it out. that was the scenario in the first half. atletico could have led by 2 or three goals already. however, that intense playing is always going to cook your legs, this led to our players to have more time with the ball and for mediocre players (cough gomes) to breath and to panick less. so this is my two cents, we played better in the second half because of them and not us. the level we showed in the first half is extreamly worrying.

Last edited:

henias

Starting Gomes on the RW, provided no attacking width as he just kept passing back, I dont know why he is even RW and whats his purpose was. Sergi Roeberto looked really lively and Im sure he could replace Rakitic. Right now, we lack wingers, Suarez tend to drift too much to the wings, and Messi didnt play his usual good. I dont think a 442 can do much to streatch Atleti's defence, Alba seems alone for most times and they could easily supress him.

M

MessiCam

i honestly think the quality we showed in the second half has a lot to do with their fatigue rather than us being good. just like like klopp s teams simone always apply mad pressing in the first halves, even more so when he knows that the opposition s midfield cannot extricate itself with great passing. our ball passing is simply appalling, we have no answer to the slighest pressing but giving back the ball to stegen or clear it out. that was the scenario in the first half. atletico could have led by 2 or three goals already. however, that intense playing is always going to cook your legs, this led to our players to have more time with the ball and for mediocre players (cough gomes) to breath and to panick less. so this is my two cents, we played better in the second half because of them and not us. the level we showed in the first half is extreamly worrying.
I don’t think that was the case at all. Atléti didn’t press much but rather absorbed pressure in numbers as they usually do against Barça. In the first half play was developed on the left with Iniesta in a wide midfield role but at his age he just doesn’t have the legs for that anymore.

In the second half when Deulofeu and Roberto were subbed on, the former in an advanced role, they were actually quite good down that right flank and caused Atléti problems. It opened up more spaces centrally and Barça looked way better. Deulofeu just lacks that final thought process to do serious damage.

But yeah, this 4-4-2 is a failed experiment but it hasn’t yet sunk in with Valverde. Also think 4-4-2 is a way of appeasing Suárez because he is out of his depth playing LW in our 4-3-3 system. At this stage I’m at a point where if they wanna play False 9 then Denis and Deulofeu must start. If Suárez is that important and must start then just move Messi over to the RW already and have Denis/Deulofeu vie for the LW role.

That said I can already see a 4-2-3-1 system with a fit Dembélé and I’m far from happy about it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Looking back I think we played better than in more than few games we won in our 9 match streak. So that's certainly a positive thing.

Thing to be concerned is, Sammy and Mats were our best players.

Gaudi

Maybe I was in a good mood but I think we played really good actually. Yes, we still have some problems, but we created more than I remember against them in a long while. We kept sometimes slow possession but also moved in between lines quite well. Strangely, I think if we had Suarez in top form we would have won, even though he did score eventually. We have completely dominated big team away from home.
Gomes was solid for me, don't know why everybody hated him yesterday, but midfield is our biggest issue, because they are all solid at best, nothing more.
I liked Deulofeu when he came on, quick and direct.

serghei

Maybe I was in a good mood but I think we played really good actually. Yes, we still have some problems, but we created more than I remember against them in a long while. We kept sometimes slow possession but also moved in between lines quite well. Strangely, I think if we had Suarez in top form we would have won, even though he did score eventually. We have completely dominated big team away from home.
Gomes was solid for me, don't know why everybody hated him yesterday, but midfield is our biggest issue, because they are all solid at best, nothing more.
I liked Deulofeu when he came on, quick and direct.

We played poorly in the first. Very well in the 2nd. If we had more speed in our passing we would've won as Atletico were tired and moving a bit slower from the 60th minute onwards, often late at trying to block the passing channels we used.

draconifire

Really happy for Deu and Denis. Showed us what they can do against a formidable opponent. Should be starters from now. As for Gomes, the judgement is still out for him, 1 or 2 more games in that position will show if he can be a player for us.

JamDav1982

Really happy for Deu and Denis. Showed us what they can do against a formidable opponent. Should be starters from now. As for Gomes, the judgement is still out for him, 1 or 2 more games in that position will show if he can be a player for us.

Denis never played.

Home of Barca Fans