Liverpool

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Scholes: Gerrard should have joined Chelsea in 2005

The Liverpool captain has announced his decision to leave Anfield upon the expiration of his contract, but the ex-Manchester United star says he should have quit 10 years ago

Paul Scholes believes Steven Gerrard should have left Liverpool to join Chelsea after the Reds’ 2005 Champions League triumph.

Gerrard announced on Friday that he will leave Anfield upon the expiration of his contract this summer and LA Galaxy appear to be the frontrunners to land his signature, though Goal understands that Orlando City would also be interested in a potential move were the price right.

However, former Manchester United midfielder Scholes, who won 11 Premier League titles, believes Gerrard “deserves to have a league winners’ medal”, and says the 34-year-old should have moved to Chelsea when he had the chance.

“It's difficult for me, as a United fan, to say it's a pity that Gerrard has never won the league,” he told The Independent.

“If there was a time to leave Liverpool and join another club, he should have gone to Chelsea when they tried to sign him for the second time after he won the Champions League in 2005.

“It always looked like Chelsea would win the league more than once.”

Scholes also hit back at claims that Gerrard’s achievements would have been diminished had he won trophies at Stamford Bridge, and he wonders if the star has decided to leave Anfield because of their slip from second in the Premier League to eighth.

“There are those who say it would have been worth less with Chelsea. I disagree,” he added.

“Moving clubs is part of football. I was lucky that my club were strong enough that I could fulfil my ambitions there.

“I wonder if part of his decision to leave Liverpool now was that, compared with last season, the club look much further away from the league title.”
Doesn't matter what he says, there will always be that tiny bit of regret at the decision to stay. He won't regret it too much because he stayed with his beloved club, but said club could never match his ambition and give him the trophies that his ability deserved.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Many players who won a league title are forgotten. Gerrard will be a club legend forever at one of the biggest clubs in football history.
I have never been a big fan of Gerrard but I really respect his decisions and achievements. Even more so because he always was loyal to his club.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well if he ended up at Chelsea chances are he'd probably have left around now and would be a club legend. Not saying it was wrong of him to snub Chelsea but he will feel some small regret. Whether or not he moved he'd have been seen as a legend anyway IMO, though probably not as big as one if he moved since he wouldn't have been main man no.1 at Chelsea.

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Oh man, now that he's announced he's leaving EVERY good thing he does is going to be glorified. Ugh.

L

linetty

but they were actually great goals... i can appriciate great players unlike some butthurt chelsea fan

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
He's always scored good goals, and I never said these weren't good. I've always admitted he's good as a player, even if I do think he's overrated. But there really is nothing for me, or any other Chelsea fan for that matter, to be butthurt about regarding him. I was indifferent to him joining Chelsea in 2005, if he did join he'd have been another cog in the machine. I'm probably happier her stayed away in the end, given his need to always be the main man or he doesn't function his best(until his later years when he had to step aside for, say, Suarez).

SwiftGuyver

Doesn't matter what he says, there will always be that tiny bit of regret at the decision to stay. He won't regret it too much because he stayed with his beloved club, but said club could never match his ambition and give him the trophies that his ability deserved.

1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups & 1 Community Shield is still a very good trophy haul though.

he has pretty much won everything he possibly could at club level except the Premier League.

DrPepper

1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups & 1 Community Shield is still a very good trophy haul though.

he has pretty much won everything he possibly could at club level except the Premier League.

But at the same time he probably will be remembered as (one of) the greatest players to never have won the BPL.

Should do a Lampard and join City or Chelsea on loan.

SwiftGuyver

But at the same time he probably will be remembered as (one of) the greatest players to never have won the BPL.

Should do a Lampard and join City or Chelsea on loan.

yeah it just depends which way you choose to view it i guess.

too many people try to spin things in a negative way IMO. same kind of bullshit surrounding Messi not winning a World Cup. too many focus in on that and act like it reduces his other accomplishments or even renders them irrelevant.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
He'll never be irrelevant. For me his not willing a league is just a laughing point as a rival fan, nothing more. I mean you got guys like Le Tissier who everyone knows was great, but he didn't win anything meaningful with his club. Yeah, not Gerrard level but he was great. Gerrard will be remembered for a few negative points, not winning a league, the slip, but he's done more good than bad.

For Leo the World Cup thing is only because of Maradona, nothing more. If Maradona hadn't existed there'd still be the argument, but since his countryman, who just happens to be the greatest before him, did it, it'll be there. Leo will never escape it.

Home of Barca Fans