Lionel Messi - v7

raskolnikov

Tbh looks like he has seriously declined.

Don't think as can say it's just bad form

You are reaching. Messi needs to rest more at 33. But he is easily capable of putting in 35 goals in all competitions.
He just plays for a rebuilding team that barely creates for him.
He even played well last few matches.

Messigician

You are reaching. Messi needs to rest more at 33. But he is easily capable of putting in 35 goals in all competitions.
He just plays for a rebuilding team that barely creates for him.
He even played well last few matches.

No offence but he is palying well vs farmers.

I do not trust Messi to perform vs big teams

Daniele

No offence but he is palying well vs farmers.

I do not trust Messi to perform vs big teams

this is a false problem. it is a team sport, the individual plays well if the team plays well. Even Messi at 23 would play badly if the team plays badly against strong opponents. it is very rare that a team that plays a bad game has a single player that plays well.
At 33 there is a decline (it's a trivial obviousness) but the issue of "a single player playing good or bad against strong teams" is not a real issue

xxxxxx

Messi is still a great player, but I just think his attitude stinks out there at times. Half the time he doesn't even look like he wants to be out there.

I think we'll see Messi's worst season with us.... and I honestly believe that's down to his lack of motivation and because he doesn't have faith in his teammates. Not to mention, he probably still is pissed off at the club.

ItachiXXX

this is a false problem. it is a team sport, the individual plays well if the team plays well. Even Messi at 23 would play badly if the team plays badly against strong opponents. it is very rare that a team that plays a bad game has a single player that plays well.
At 33 there is a decline (it's a trivial obviousness) but the issue of "a single player playing good or bad against strong teams" is not a real issue

I think most posters here having a hard time to understand what's TEAM Sport is. ?Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.? MJ ?The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.? Pjax

ranjix

Jefecito
Messi is still a great player, but I just think his attitude stinks out there at times. Half the time he doesn't even look like he wants to be out there.

I think we'll see Messi's worst season with us.... and I honestly believe that's down to his lack of motivation and because he doesn't have faith in his teammates. Not to mention, he probably still is pissed off at the club.

Something I noticed, he does not want to pass ball to Greizmann

5ergio_Busquets

I think most posters here having a hard time to understand what's TEAM Sport is. ?Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.? MJ ?The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.? Pjax

Interestingly Messi is the one player who doesn't behave like a member of the team, walking and not supporting his team mates. He doesn't even try to recover the ball after he gives it away trying to dribble in the midfield, he just stops and waits for the team to recover the ball and give it back to him. At the moment it's a team of 10 players + Messi instead of a team of 11 players.

BBZ8800

It's a team sport, but in the past he was able to take the ball and decide the match out of nowhere, like RM 2:0 in 2011 or 5:1 (was it 5:1?) against Arsenal.

Nowadays, he is a nonfactor in CL matches, just losing balls like a turnover machine and being easily dispossed due to weak stamina, slow pace and bad decisions (dribbles past 3 through the middle).

Yes, it's a team sport.
But his performances in big matches heavily declined.

And this season, he will reach Titanic levels of low and losing balls.

KingLeo10

It's a team sport, but in the past he was able to take the ball and decide the match out of nowhere, like RM 2:0 in 2011 or 5:1 (was it 5:1?) against Arsenal.

Nowadays, he is a nonfactor in CL matches, just losing balls like a turnover machine and being easily dispossed due to weak stamina, slow pace and bad decisions (dribbles past 3 through the middle).

Yes, it's a team sport.
But his performances in big matches heavily declined.

And this season, he will reach Titanic levels of low and losing balls.

Some of the fans here who insist he isn't declining dramatically are ironically doing a disservice to his level from 2008-2015 (and even some patches through 18-19).

He was an actual alien in those days. Averaged 100+ dribbles in some CL seasons and was scoring solo goals left and right.

This dude right now has trouble zipping past Sevilla fullbacks, lol. It's normal. He's 33. Maradona, Cruyff, DiStefano, R9, and Pele at that age were long finished. CR7 is also finished as a dribbler/winger but he can still be a predator in the box. I don't know why it's so hard for his fanboys to admit this and continue complaining about how he has bad/low IQ teammates.

If he needs great teammates to succeed, what the fuck is special about him then?

Klysmakabouter

His statistics are still on par. Last year he made more assists then years before, compensating for a lower amount of goals. A 50% Messi is still more effective than 98% of the players out there.

KingLeo10

His statistics are still on par. Last year he made more assists then years before, compensating for a lower amount of goals. A 50% Messi is still more effective than 98% of the players out there.

Check out who those G + A were against.

He made his legendary status destroying RM, Bayern, Man United, AM and the like. Not mid table clubs in LL.

serghei

Some of the fans here who insist he isn't declining dramatically are ironically doing a disservice to his level from 2008-2015 (and even some patches through 18-19).

He was an actual alien in those days. Averaged 100+ dribbles in some CL seasons and was scoring solo goals left and right.

This dude right now has trouble zipping past Sevilla fullbacks, lol. It's normal. He's 33. Maradona, Cruyff, DiStefano, R9, and Pele at that age were long finished. CR7 is also finished as a dribbler/winger but he can still be a predator in the box. I don't know why it's so hard for his fanboys to admit this and continue complaining about how he has bad/low IQ teammates.

If he needs great teammates to succeed, what the fuck is special about him then?

Not a problem he declined. It's normal. The problem is the club and most of the fans are in denial about that. He'd still be a top 3-5 player today if he would just accept he's far from what he was and would adapt his game accordingly.

But no, he keeps dropping deep as if he's gonna take the ball and dribble 3-4 players in a row :lol:. His physical level is that of a 35-37 years old player currently. You look at Lewa and Messi and it doesn't seem like it's 1 year between them give or take. It looks like 5-6.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans