Lionel Messi - v7

serghei

There’s gotta be a match where he is rested. I’m genuinely curious as to how we will play.

Someone else will have to step up. The default pass to Messi and let him create option will not be there.

I want to say these players can think for themselves and go for goal in his absence. TBD.

We will play the same, unless he is missing for an extended period. Because the training is done with Messi playing. To play well without Messi means to plan without him and train without him for some months.

Also, rest Suarez too, because without Messi he thinks he is the boss and yells at everyone that doesn't give him the ball.

I'd be curious to see Arthur + De Jong + Vidal in midfield, and Fati + Braithwaite + Griezmann in attack. That would be a young and hardworking midfield and attack overall.

Last edited:

wisconsincule

I'd be curious to see Arthur + De Jong + Vidal in midfield, and Fati + Braithwaite + Griezmann in attack. That would be a young and hardworking midfield and attack overall.

It’s too bad there is close to zero chance this would actually happen. Suarez, Messi, Busi and Rakitic all benched at the same time? Never.

Andrew M

We will play the same, unless he is missing for an extended period. Because the training is done with Messi playing. To play well without Messi means to plan without him and train without him for some months.

Also, rest Suarez too, because without Messi he thinks he is the boss and yells at everyone that doesn't give him the ball.

You'd pick Braithwaite over Messi?

Ok.

Givenchy

Messi drops when we cant penetrate defence. Which is obvious with slow plodding safe passing.
Then he drops deep and everyone is static, you need neymar type runs behind the defense, or quick passing combibations to get trough it. Semedo aint Alves and Rakitic and Arthur aint Xavi and Iniesta.

So we have Messi at 33 as sole creator and main finisher with an half fit old Suarez assisting and nobody else.
Its not a strong side when you compare it to say Bayern, Liverpool or City.
Even Madrid in transition looks better.

the slow, plodding safe passing from the midfield is due to no movement upfront. look at the likes of Raki, Frenkie and Arthur at their former clubs compared to Barca. everyone, as @Toecrusher said, is in service of Messi.

Semedo for example isn't the best of RBs we can all agree but he has 2 options as a RB in the current Barca. 1. pass back or 2. cross a ball into the box to nobody and that is down to Messi leaving RW vacant and Suarez wanting to take part (aka kill) the build up play

unless Messi changes his game to help the team and accepts Suarez is a bench player at best, this situation will never be fixed with them here. I almost feel like saying theres no point in buying any new players until they are gone as it'll be the same story

Last edited:

serghei

the slow, plodding safe passing from the midfield is due to no movement upfront. look at the likes of Raki, Frenkie and Arthur at their former clubs compared to Barca. everyone, as @Toecrusher said, is in service of Messi.

Semedo for example isn't the best of RBs we can all agree but he has 2 options as a RB in the current Barca. 1. pass back or 2. cross a ball into the box to nobody and that is down to Messi leaving RW vacant and Suarez wanting to take part (aka kill) the build up play

unless Messi changes his game to help the team and accepts Suarez is a bench player at best, this situation will never be fixed with them here. I almost feel like saying theres no point in buying any new players until they are gone as it'll be the same story

Agreed. Good post. Think the same. Wonder if it's not better than just save the money until Messi and Suarez are retired or they change their game. I doubt they can change anything in their game at this stage in their career, so... just wait 2 more seasons until they are gone and splash the money on rebuilding the offense.

Rory

The no movement upfront from Messi and Suarez is why I'd advocate a formation change. A 4-2-3-1 where Messi is on the right and Suarez as the ST at least means there is movement from a CAM and left hand side. At the moment in the 4-3-3 there is only movement from the left hand side. When Messi drops deep in 4-2-3-1 the midfield isn't clogged up instead there are 3 people in that area, with a CAM further ahead from Messi to be a passing option going forward. I'll get shit on from the usual suspects for this but the 4-3-3 formation we play at the moment is causing such a midfield congestion it takes away any attacking threat we have. Unless we're going to rid our squad of a number of players I can't see 4-3-3 being beneficial against top sides.

JamDav1982

There?s gotta be a match where he is rested. I?m genuinely curious as to how we will play.

Someone else will have to step up. The default pass to Messi and let him create option will not be there.

I want to say these players can think for themselves and go for goal in his absence. TBD.

Probably most enjoyable game to watch this season was home to Betis where team showed work rate, movement and variety going forward..... neither Messi or Suarez was playing.

Clearly not better as a team without Messi but the team playing as a unit and everyone moving off the ball was enjoyable to watch and team looked more balanced.

vuji_31

Stop protecting Messi.

He is best in the world but it seems he does not give a fuck about thing that his dropping in midfield and playing Suarez every game, is bad for Barca.

Hardy

Messi failed to score in 17 matches, that's exactly 50% of all matches he played this season. For a comparison his scoring distribution is at his worst ever, at least since he's a world class striker.

malvolio

It's not a secret that Serghei is a Messi hater

Forum already knows this dawg :coffee:

forum went from - "board should get some good/worldclass players that would help us get the best of messi's final years with us" to "fuck messi, he's the reason we are slow as he likes to play only with suarez" :lol:

no other attacker in our squad is better or in better form than messi, but he's suddenly the reason we don't do good.

Home of Barca Fans