Lionel Messi - v7

malvolio

I mean the intent of the clause was pretty clear. And I guess the understanding between Bartomeu and Messi was more of a gentlemens agreement. I absolutely despise keeping players against their will. We are bigger than that (well, apparently not).

wasn't jamdav the one advocating for us to not sell for anything lower than 100mil? i would have let him go on a free in the summer. we were heading for a disastrous season anyway, with the squad and manager we have. not getting the transfer fee would have been cancelled by not paying his salary for a season. and it would have been a nice gesture for all the joy and success he brought us.

JamDav1982

wasn't jamdav the one advocating for us to not sell for anything lower than 100mil? i would have let him go on a free in the summer. we were heading for a disastrous season anyway, with the squad and manager we have. not getting the transfer fee would have been cancelled by not paying his salary for a season. and it would have been a nice gesture for all the joy and success he brought us.

I would have sold him if got decent fee. Cant remember the amount but as much as anything didnt want City getting the deal. Feel free to look back and quote if can find it.

Didnt envisage him playing like this though. Thought more of him.

I am sure you claimed he was best player in world as well though and Barca be worse off if he left.

Not working out like that either.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

He can take a piss on the field for all I care. He wanted to leave and was forced to stay on a technicality. We reap what we sow. I dont blame him, hes mentally shot since Anfield/2019 (as anyone would).

Messi and Barca has been mentally shot long time before Anfield. The 4-0 PSG loss was the first crack. That was point when we should have reacted with few chances, but we forgot it because we came back with a miracle 6-1 win.

malvolio

I would have sold him if got decent fee. Cant remember the amount but as much as anything didnt want City getting the deal. Feel free to look back and quote if can find it.

Didnt envisage him playing like this though. Thought more of him.

I am sure you claimed he was best player in world as well though and Barca be worse off if he left.

Not working out like that either.

i didn't envisage either that he will drop so much. wasn't really expecting much from his supporting cast either. so i guess it evens out.

i really tought other players in the world weren't much better. those who can be hyped as best in the world play in the best teams right now. apart from haaland, who is tearing it up at the moment?

of course we would have been worse off without him, this season. have you looked at our creative/attacking options?

it is what it is.

JamDav1982

i didn't envisage either that he will drop so much. wasn't really expecting much from his supporting cast either. so i guess it evens out.

i really tought other players in the world weren't much better. those who can be hyped as best in the world play in the best teams right now. apart from haaland, who is tearing it up at the moment?

of course we would have been worse off without him, this season. have you looked at our creative/attacking options?

it is what it is.

Looked back and my stance was 'ask for well over 100m and test how much City are willing to pay but they should not get him for free'.

Dont think that was wrong stance for that point in time.

I agree would be worse without him across season but the fact folk were saying he was still best and would be worse off if he goes was more reason for him not to go for free.

Best in world this season has been Kane probably.... but cant claim best on that short time frame.

There are countless others playing at far higher level than Messi.

serghei

Not so sure we'd be worse without him. Griezmann and Coutinho would play in their real position and would do better. At least they won't walk on the field all the time.

JamDav1982

Coutinho has always played on the left hand side

He hasnt and has played central for Liverpool and Brazil.

Coutinho has been a ten from the left and never a winger when played there and cant play like that in same team as Messi.

Even then he should have been better.

serghei

Coutinho has always played on the left hand side

Except vs Villareal, our best game this season, Ansu played on the left, Messi played up top, and Griezmann on the right, with Messi and Griezmann exchanging positions. Coutinho played CAM. Messi didn't like that because he was less involved, and gradually, he invaded Coutinho's position and the result was Coutinho was put on the left.

FinBarcelonafan

Not so sure we'd be worse without him. Griezmann and Coutinho would play in their real position and would do better. At least they won't walk on the field all the time.

I think at this point we could be better TEAM without him. Maybe not score as pretty goals or have as nice solo goals but if we defend with ten players and attack with ten, I don't think we will be much worse. Messi is Def. Hurting our overall game now, especially when he is not putting up goals and assists.

I think top teams would have harder time Vs us too, because our defending would improve, collective defending with the whole team. We cant press properly now with Messi.

And it's not like Messi is scoring Vs top teams... No big difference.

malvolio

Looked back and my stance was 'ask for well over 100m and test how much City are willing to pay but they should not get him for free'.

Dont think that was wrong stance for that point in time.

I agree would be worse without him across season but the fact folk were saying he was still best and would be worse off if he goes was more reason for him not to go for free.

Best in world this season has been Kane probably.... but cant claim best on that short time frame.

There are countless others playing at far higher level than Messi.

city surely knew that barto wasn't selling him. they're not as stupid as us begging PSG for neymar.

this season, yes there are other players that are performing better than him. best in the world is really debatable after the messi/CR era.

i personally wanted for him to stay, as nothing would have changed in terms of trophies won this year. the naivety to think that past under performers or u20 youngsters will suddenly become good players, faded pretty quickly.

serghei

Fati is injured?

Coutinho started to play left before Ansu injured himself. The only matches where Coutinho played centrally a lot were the best games this season. Villareal, and Celta.

Messi is the problem that doesn't allow Coutinho to play on his positon. Even though Coutinho is a better central attacking midfielder than Messi.

Home of Barca Fans