Lionel Messi - v7

malvolio

I am convinced having all 4 rotating up there (Fati, Coutinho, Messi, Griezman) is more lethal than having a solid striker

nope. we won't have a real threat in the box. not all teams are as naive as villareal

coutinho and griezmann don't know how to finish. and that leaves us with fati and messi who are not strikers.

serghei

I thought it was one of the most disciplined, ordered, and cohesive games from Messi in a long time. He really needs to streamline his game to make him return to being a menace near the box.

Cut all the things he does just out of bad habit. He is wasting time, effort, and good positions. He doesn't need to be dropping 35 meters just to play a service pass that can be played by 4 other players in that area.

Last edited:

jairzinho

He was good. Couldn't drop deep to dictate the game like he usually does but still good. Not sure how we'll look against a more compact team tbh. false 9 against a deep block could be problematic.

serghei

All he needs to do is to move reasonably well in the space from the AM position all the way up to the 9 space and to the right, and the game will get to him. And get his moves synchronized with the rest of the attacking players based on some well established ideas, some situational dos and don'ts.

It's Koeman's job to make sure the game gets to him.

And, with few exception, he did pretty well at keeping his positions.

malvolio

He was good. Couldn't drop deep to dictate the game like he usually does but still good. Not sure how we'll look against a more compact team tbh. false 9 against a deep block could be problematic.

that's why we need a striker. because messi ain't one.

is good that vilareall spread their legs for us once again, others won't be so easy.

we need a striker that can keep the defenders occupied and bring other things like aerial threat.

Neeraj

I thought it was one of the most disciplined, ordered, and cohesive games from Messi in a long time. He really needs to streamline his game to make him return to being a menace near the box.

Cut all the things he does just out of bad habit. He is wasting time, effort, and good positions. He doesn't need to be dropping 35 meters just to play a service pass that can be played by 4 other players in that area.

While the game passed by him a lot, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it was a disciplined and ordered game by Messi (I know you're comparing it to earlier games, but still). Aside from a couple of good passes and moments, he just walked around a bit lost, and didn't make the runs he should have during counters and rightfully didn't get the ball.

I think this can be the start of a more disciplined and cohesive game from Messi, once and if the team can put all the pieces together and Messi accepts his new role - but that's my biggest concern here. When things aren't all easy going and 2-0 in 20 minutes, does the team and Messi stick to the disciplined approach?

Total-Football

I disagree.. Tis a typical messi game and nothing more. Your perception is altered i think by the fact that we win.

serghei

While the game passed by him a lot, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it was a disciplined and ordered game by Messi (I know you're comparing it to earlier games, but still). Aside from a couple of good passes and moments, he just walked around a bit lost, and didn't make the runs he should have during counters and rightfully didn't get the ball.

I think this can be the start of a more disciplined and cohesive game from Messi, once and if the team can put all the pieces together and Messi accepts his new role - but that's my biggest concern here. When things aren't all easy going and 2-0 in 20 minutes, does the team and Messi stick to the disciplined approach?

Of course, I'm comparing it to other games where he basically did what he wanted. He can cut more fat off his game and improve his presence in the last 3rd. He still spends too much time doing things that are not necessary.

I disagree.. Tis a typical messi game and nothing more. Your perception is altered i think by the fact that we win.

No, it's not. He spent a lot more time being the most advanced player, which is what I want to see.

The main structure was Coutinho deeper and Messi ahead of him. Fati left, Griezmann right.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
When Griez was out there the central/right area of our offense looked lost and aimless and over-crowded. With Trincao/Fati it becomes way more structured where both wingers can attack the fullback on the dribble, and aren't stepping on Messi's toes in the middle the way that Griezmann does.

The 4-2-3-1 can work with Messi, just need true wingers to make sure the spacing is even. So literally, just sub Griezmann for Trincao. It's that easy.

serghei

The 4-2-3-1 can work with Messi, just need true wingers to make sure the spacing is even. So literally, just sub Griezmann for Trincao. It's that easy.

The thing is that Griezmann can also give Messi some freedom, because he can act as a 9 in the time Messi breaks shape. So, if you replace Griezmann with Trincao, Messi should have even less license to move around, and should keep position more. Or else you'd have Trincao acting as 9 whenever Messi seeks space on the right.

Home of Barca Fans