Lionel Messi - v7

Sorin

He got better as the game went on just like all his matches this season. Clearly, lack of match rhythm and he should be in peak form by the end of November. Just in time to take another big dump on RM. :redbeard:

BarcaOG

Banned
Yep. More even distribution of goals is the best. Helps with confidence of several players.

exactly. we know messi will continue scoring, but it is always a mystery if our other forwards will, too. the more messi helps them remain consistent and confident, the better for the team. that's true captaincy

EdmondDantes

I'm a bit worried about Leo.

Goal and assist aside, I was expecting better fitness levels from him since he had 2 weeks to work on it during the international break.

Us having to switch to a 4-4-2 to a adapt to his and Suarez' lack of pressing and movement debilitates our overall game. Relying solely on Messi's genius is probably not a Champions League winning recipe at this point.

4-4-2 without wingers is blunt. Retreating Griezmann to left-midfield (without speed and dribbling ability to stretch the play), shunning De Jong out wide on the right as well.

I understand why Valverde does it, but it's a tough one. Fati, Dembele and Perez must see a lot of minutes this season, we need their skill set on the pitch.

Nazario1985

Really?

No one deserves anything.

Ok please write to the UN so they will erase the concept of the word "deserves" from every language on earth.

Sure the solo effort he put since he took over Ronaldinho's revolution is way more than the trophies he had because of external conditions (from Inter 2010 to Liv 2019) and his mistakes too but the positives outweigh the negatives by miles and when he's not in a good shape/perf no player outside Neymar have taken things in hand and drove the team

Yes we had Great players & Managers Markez/Puyol/Xavi/Eto'o/Iniesta/Deco …. but without Ronaldinho starting this era and Messi carrying it for more than a decade we would have been outside the picture.

Last edited:

EdmondDantes

Watching Guardiola's City play and their forwards are always alive. Always pressing, always moving, always running.

Klopp's Liverpool much the same. And these are our two main rivals for the CL this year.

I keep asking myself, if Pep landed here tomorrow, how would he solve the Messi, Suarez, Griezmann conundrum?

Potroh

And these are our two main rivals for the CL this year.

There're much more rivals this year. Bayern is very good, PSG maybe even better if Di Maria, Neymar and Mbappe pick a good day.
At the same time Barca fluctuates between awful, bad and acceptable performances.

I keep asking myself, if Pep landed here tomorrow, how would he solve the Messi, Suarez, Griezmann conundrum?

Easy. He would start Messi from the midfield and wouldn't at all play either Suarez or Griezmann.

eaman

Not bad for a player who is really still in pre season. A pre season that has been broken up by injury and international breaks. Great to go get another game under his belt anyway

Nazario1985

Watching Guardiola's City play and their forwards are always alive. Always pressing, always moving, always running.

Klopp's Liverpool much the same. And these are our two main rivals for the CL this year.

City is very good in the PL and get out of CL each time, Guadriola having problems in CL since leaving Barça is no news.

Also i don't think he will scratch his head too much like with Ibra he will cast one of them out.

CL now is down to be Good Enough when you need it, and be realistic and don't waste chances, no need to have the best team in the world hence Zidane huge success in CL even seasons where RM been shitty in la liga

Jakabor

Ok please write to the UN so they will erase the concept of the word "deserves" from every language on earth.

Sure the solo effort he put since he took over Ronaldinho's revolution is way more than the trophies he had because of external conditions (from Inter 2010 to Liv 2019) and his mistakes too but the positives outweigh the negatives by miles and when he's not in a good shape/perf no player outside Neymar have taken things in hand and drove the team

Yes we had Great players & Managers Markez/Puyol/Xavi/Eto'o/Iniesta/Deco …. but without Ronaldinho starting this era and Messi carrying it for more than a decade we would have been outside the picture.

And that still doesn’t mean he deserves another CL.

No one deserves anything. Especially in sport.

eaman

I'm a bit worried about Leo.

Goal and assist aside, I was expecting better fitness levels from him since he had 2 weeks to work on it during the international break.

Us having to switch to a 4-4-2 to a adapt to his and Suarez' lack of pressing and movement debilitates our overall game. Relying solely on Messi's genius is probably not a Champions League winning recipe at this point.

4-4-2 without wingers is blunt. Retreating Griezmann to left-midfield (without speed and dribbling ability to stretch the play), shunning De Jong out wide on the right as well.

I understand why Valverde does it, but it's a tough one. Fati, Dembele and Perez must see a lot of minutes this season, we need their skill set on the pitch.

Doesnt matter how fit you are. If you dont have proper uninterrupted game time you are not going to be at the top of your game. Played well for a player who has played a pre season in competitive games and an interrupted one

Imagine the reviews if any other player on the planet put on the performance Messi did against Eibar. Yet people here think he had a poor game. I guess it's true what people say, he is truly a victim of his own genius.

BusiTheKing

It's not the lack of sharpness I'm so worried about, it's the apparent lack of joy he looks to take in playing football these days.

Home of Barca Fans