Leroy Sane

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The point stands. Is Brandt really better than Sane?

He's not which is what makes his shocking. Brandt is not going to play much and he doesn't have the pace or ability to change a game like Sane does even though Sane has been underwhelming for them. Sane is just the much superior talent and player and a possible game changer yet he was dropped for Brandt.

I know Germany's play is based on the collective, but having a possible game changer on the bench really is worth a lot.

El Gato

Villarato!
Jogi Low takes and plays who he likes, not who played decent for his club. You guys not learned that yet?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I do not understand the backlash. Sane has not yet had a single good game for Germany. I think he's played what, 12 times already? Pretty reasonable from Low to drop him. Questionable is only that Low dropped Sane instead of Brandt, who wasn't impressive as well.

He's not which is what makes his shocking. Brandt is not going to play much and he doesn't have the pace or ability to change a game like Sane does even though Sane has been underwhelming for them. Sane is just the much superior talent and player and a possible game changer yet he was dropped for Brandt.

I know Germany's play is based on the collective, but having a possible game changer on the bench really is worth a lot.

Performances in the clubs might get you the nomination - but the performances for the national team count. They style for Germany might not get the best out of Leroy - but nobody will change that for him. Not in a nation like Germany.

Until now he did not really show one moment that he can change a game - atleast not in a positive direction. More in the direction that he is not very helpful defensively and loses the ball easily. And Germany does not press like City and does not play with a defensive midfielder - especially as Kroos is the 6/8 on the left side...

Brandt might not offer more but is more relieable. But there is always soft factors, too. Kroos after the match in Brazil gave an interview in which he pointed to the ones with the "big mouths" that had their chance but did not show it. In that match Sane and Gündogan had very bad performances. And Sane was meant to play in the ConfedCup but did a nose operation instead that could have been done later.

Yannik

Can't understand the decision to drop him, its not like Germany has that many quality wingers.

Reus is ahead of him. Draxler is individually behind, but plays better for Germany than Sané does. It's a tactical exclusion, Sané doesn't fit Löws playstyle.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Reus is ahead of him. Draxler is individually behind, but plays better for Germany than Sané does. It's a tactical exclusion, Sané doesn't fit Löws playstyle.

So is he going to keep him out for years to come then or change his style in the next tournament?

Dybala doesn't suit Argentina's plans either considering the only position he's able to play in is Messi's, and he's been just as disappointing for them even when he's played in his position with Messi out. Why not take Sane over Brandt? Sane offers something different to anyone else in that squad.

It's strange from an outside perspective. Then again his methods have worked so well for Germany so there's that too.

Leno's exclusion for Trapp is a bit weird too, but then again a 3rd GK is only there to keep the morale of the squad up and Leno and ter Stegen apparently don't get along so perhaps Low wanted to avoid any problems.

Performances in the clubs might get you the nomination - but the performances for the national team count. They style for Germany might not get the best out of Leroy - but nobody will change that for him. Not in a nation like Germany.

Until now he did not really show one moment that he can change a game - atleast not in a positive direction. More in the direction that he is not very helpful defensively and loses the ball easily. And Germany does not press like City and does not play with a defensive midfielder - especially as Kroos is the 6/8 on the left side...

Brandt might not offer more but is more relieable. But there is always soft factors, too. Kroos after the match in Brazil gave an interview in which he pointed to the ones with the "big mouths" that had their chance but did not show it. In that match Sane and Gündogan had very bad performances. And Sane was meant to play in the ConfedCup but did a nose operation instead that could have been done later.

I see. I guess this might make him work harder if he want back in regularly.

Last edited:

Yannik

He's not going to change his style to fit Sané in. The style works, we won a WC with it. I think Brandt played better than Sané in the national team, that's why he is chosen ahead. The Trapp/Leno sitatuation is probably as you said, Trapp is just more popular in the team. And Petersen is excluded because we already have 2 and a half strikers with Werner, Gomez and Müller.

xXKonan

From what I have read online from various different supporters of the German national team it comes down to the fact he hasn't played well enough for the national team that he deserves a guaranteed spot on the squad.

A lot suggested Low doesn't quite like his attitude and he doesn't fit what the system Low has right now. Although I don't follow Germany's team enough like say Yannik, but from what I read it seems Brandt fits the system more than Sane does.

MTL_Barca

IMO Sané would've been the way better sub than Brandt tho. I mean he might be more reliable but he's fairly slow and overall just an verage player, like a worse Draxler for the other side. When would you ever sub this guy in and expect him to shake things up by a late game run, dribbling etc? Sané can do these things and not playing like all the other German attackers could've been what makes him a very valuable joker.

I see why Löw cut him from the squad and he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 with his NT performances but i think Brandt brings absolutely nothing to the table. He's just there in case idk half the squad gets injured or something because besides that he adds nothing. He is like the offensive version of Rudy.

So i'd guess things outside the pitch made the difference here.

Yannik

IMO Sané would've been the way better sub than Brandt tho. I mean he might be more reliable but he's fairly slow and overall just an verage player, like a worse Draxler for the other side. When would you ever sub this guy in and expect him to shake things up by a late game run, dribbling etc? Sané can do these things and not playing like all the other German attackers could've been what makes him a very valuable joker.

I see why Löw cut him from the squad and he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 with his NT performances but i think Brandt brings absolutely nothing to the table. He's just there in case idk half the squad gets injured or something because besides that he adds nothing. He is like the offensive version of Rudy.

So i'd guess things outside the pitch made the difference here.

Sané is a complete outwide winger that excells through pace and dribbling, but Germany doesn't play with classic wingers. Reus, Draxler, Müller, Brandt, sometimes Özil are all players who shift to the central half positions to add creativity and enable the fullbacks to overlap rather than stay glued to the sideline. Sané can't fulfill the demands posed to him, and his bad performances for the national team underline that.

MTL_Barca

Sané is a complete outwide winger that excells through pace and dribbling, but Germany doesn't play with classic wingers. Reus, Draxler, Müller, Brandt, sometimes Özil are all players who shift to the central half positions to add creativity and enable the fullbacks to overlap rather than stay glued to the sideline. Sané can't fulfill the demands posed to him, and his bad performances for the national team underline that.

Well my point is that having this kind of variety is a good thing. Why would you bring Brandt from the bench? Its like subbing in Gomes in midfield :lol:

I don't think it makes much sense to only bring nr. 10 / second striker kind of players for the wings, it would help to have at least one fast winger that can dribble. But it is what it is now.

Home of Barca Fans