La Liga | Round 7: FC Barcelona - Real Madrid 1-3

Rory

Nonsensical from Koeman. Same can be said for Lenglet and Pique gifting goals. There's no drive from the centre of the pitch from our defensive third all the way to where the attacking third starts. Busquets looks like he's running the wrong way up an escalator that's how slow he is. Frenkie = taller Arthur. Coutinho looks lost but at least tries something. Messi was far too hot and cold, obviously provided a great ball leading to the goal but not much else.

Subs should have been made as soon as the madrid penalty went in

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
but thats exactly the problem. why on earth cant our players be 'extra' motivated for a HOME match against real madrid?

part of it is that our captain just radiates pessimism and defeatism. and we have no other leaders to correct for that

Messi being classic Messi, his mind swings like a pendulum and you never know how he will turn out motivation-wise. He has been like this for a long time, more motivated in some less important games and appearing to be less motivated in more important games. Against Ferencvarosi he was very motivated but not so much today.

I am not even thinking about Messi since he will be out of our picture soon. I am thinking about the other players, especially the young and they were decent.

BarcaOG

Banned
Messi being classic Messi, his mind swings like a pendulum and you never know how he will turn out motivation-wise. He has been like this for a long time, more motivated in some less important games and appearing to be less motivated in more important games. Against Ferencvarosi he was very motivated but not so much today.

I am not even thinking about Messi since he will be out of our picture soon. I am thinking about the other players, especially the young and they were decent.

fair enough. i think we need to add a strong leader to push the kids, someone like puyol...

Neeraj

Here's my thoughts on the game and the overall situations:-

1) The first half was entertaining, with abysmal defending from Pique and Busquets for the first goal, but in general we were just about okay. The second half, I thought we were terrible. We were flat, lethargic, and Madrid absorbed the 'pressure' if I can call it that, knowing that they will get a counter or a brainfart from Pique/Lenglet, which they did

2) The Lenglet penalty - I don't think this should have been given, but once it goes to VAR, I don't see any decision the ref has. In real time I don't know how much of a pull that is, and these things are often ignored, but you have to be a very, very stupid defender to pull on Ramos' jersey, knowing full well he will go down, and knowing that VAR can see it. How can anyone be this stupid? Once the referee goes over to the monitor, he has no choice but to give it. I've been saying it from the start of the season, Pique/Lenglet is going to cost us BIG, they are not just bad, they are atrocious.

3) Koeman - Yes, it was bizarre that he waits until minute 80 to make 3 subs together, and yes, putting Pedri and Coutinho on the wings made no sense. But just to zoom out and think about this - I think when we signed Koeman, most of us expected nothing from him in terms of football. I don't think he is a good manager in terms of tactics, game management or any of that. All I wanted from him is to start the transition - moving on from the seniors, giving game time to the younger players, etc. and I guess in this case he did that. He didn't start Greizman and started a young team, which is a positive. Now - that he started the wrong young team (Trincao for Pedri, Puig for Busquets would have been better IMO), that goes back to him just not being a good manager.

4) Dest seemed to have a good game, and I think we can safely bench Roberto for him. Also, Braithwaite seems to show positive signs each time he comes on. I have NO idea why he gets 0 gametime. His hold up play seems better than Greizman, his link up play doesn't seem terrible either, and he has pace and strength. Baffling to me, given that we have NO other 9.

Overall, pretty disappointed we lost the game but I sort of expected a loss here. Having said that, you just cannot do anything when Pique and Lenglet are as low IQ as they are, it seems like give away a penalty/red card each and every game now, I just don't know what anyone can do with CB's this bad on the pitch. Not to mention a special shout out to Busquets - an absolute travesty each time he is on the pitch.

Gaudi

Problem with VAR is exactly that, normally there is a lot of pushing and pulling in the box, especially during free kicks but once ref goes to check the screen he is left with no choice. At the same time our players need to adapt to that, Lenglet is often rising elbows, pulling, pushing...someone needs to tell him there is VAR form now on.

Porque

Regarding the penalty, I'm pretty sure that In the first half of the action that there is a two handed push by Ramos on Lenglet to create separation, which would be a foul.. But the VAR only took the second half of the action, of which there was no doubt to give a penalty.

I got to watch the game in real time again to see as it may be my Barca tinted glasses that saw that.

wissy

How coinvinient that VAR showed the ref replay only from one angle. From the other angle you can clearly see that Ramos pushed Lenglet and for me this is not a penalty. But as you already said, ref had no chose to give it from that angle.

Messigician

How coinvinient that VAR showed the ref replay only from one angle. From the other angle you can clearly see that Ramos pushed Lenglet and for me this is not a penalty. But as you already said, ref had no chose to give it from that angle.

Never a penalty fuck ramos

Half time should made 2 changes
The game was ours and we could?ve won the game but thanks koemanwe lost it

The team I don?t know what will happen but I believe they are done now ...

And Juve will finish them

Gaudi

I have not see that, that is a problem, but from a video showed IT WAS A PENALTY

serghei

It was the kind of penalty you give with the rule book in your hand, but more often than not you see it as part of the game and let play on. That's the problem with VAR. A lot of football is played at the edge of what's allowed and what is not, especially at set pieces where you see pulls and pushes constantly. And if you start to monitor everything, you can find many potential pens almost every game.

I will look forward to the next shirt pull that is not given. I reckon it will happen at least once in the next Madrid game at some corner. If I look at all corners during a game, I promise I find at least one shirt pull.

Home of Barca Fans