• Villarreal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real Sociedad

• Other

• Total voters

serghei

I'm trying very hard to think this was a common error, but I'm starting to doubt these often common erorrs. Someone there in VAR room is either a Madrid fan or a bad gambler.

It wasn't Manzano in there by any chance was it? :lol:

Vilarrubi

I'm trying very hard to think this was a common error, but I'm starting to doubt these often common erorrs. Someone there in VAR room is either a Madrid fan or a bad gambler.

It wasn't Manzano in there by any chance was it? :lol:

They are literally paid to be as accurate as possible. That?s like a 12 year old has drawn the line on Microsoft Paint.

They zoom right in too, of course they know where that dotted line starts.

El Gato

Villarato!
See Serghei’s pic. Vertical line down from Betis player shows Benz is in front of him, that’s why that line isn’t on there.

Yeah the ball is clipping in position of the line, but that line has only been drawn because of the dotted line down and the dotted line down starts in thin air :lol:

Don't have a raw image without lines but there. If you were to move the dotted line it'd still be covering the red offside line 1 to 1.

Ei3g8xi-Wo-AAz4t61.png

Impossible to tell from a viewer standpoint, probably near impossible from the VAR room on that one frame.
And most importantly - most of Cules would call this impossible to call if it went in your favour so not sure what we're even doing here.

If you're only arguing that dotted line is in air and they drew it 2mm away, me oh my, boo hoo :lol:

Would YOU disallow this? Just based on raw image Villarrubi?

Sterling is onside then.
You get the point: center of the body is what is important.
That's how 'naked eye' sees and that's how people for years have been assessing offsides

Not really. Any scoring legal part is important. If head was leaning out for a diving header it'd be important.

Birdy

I share the suspicion against Madrid,
but there is a greater problem with VAR when it comes to offsides.
In England where refs are impartial, they have messed up so many cases.

It's a matter of the new regulations that dictate wrong interpretations on where the line should be drawn

Vilarrubi

Don't have a raw image without lines but there. If you were to move the dotted line it'd still be covering the red offside line 1 to 1.

Ei3g8xi-Wo-AAz4t61.png

Impossible to tell from a viewer standpoint, probably near impossible from the VAR room on that one frame.
And most importantly - most of Cules would call this impossible to call if it went in your favour so not sure what we're even doing here.

If you're only arguing that dotted line is in air and they drew it 2mm away, me oh my, boo hoo :lol:

Not really. Any scoring legal part is important. If head was leaning out for a diving header it'd be important.

I don’t understand that line you’ve drawn or what it’s meant to be showing. You need to draw a dotted line down from Carvajal first to the surface because at that angle a line down would mean it would start further back. I’m sure Serghei can do it.

Birdy

I am aware of this argument, and it's wrong IMO.
Players always are on the move the moment the ball is played and make several steps and moves before executing.
When you wanna check what's the relevant position of two runners you check where the center of the body is, especially when they are not moving in the same direction.

That's the spirit of the off-side law since forever and that's how refs were calling them before VAR. That's why so many people get irritated with VAR and are accusing (wrongly) the technology itself, without realizing that the interpretation of the implementation of the technology has fucked up the spirit of the law

serghei

I don’t understand that line you’ve drawn or what it’s meant to be showing. You need to draw a dotted line down first to the surface because at that angle a line down would mean it would start further back. I’m sure Serghei can do it.

I already did it. It's marginally offside imo.

If it were me, I'd let all goals be in these cases, where the margin of error is too small. But somehow Madrid is judged with the benefit of the doubt almost always in their favor. That's the benefit of having the most fans in the country. And like Iturralde said, referees are big fans of the game. All it takes is a bit less professionalism and your bias infiltrates your decision-making process. It doesn't have to be a large corruption scheme like Calciopoli. A few refs showing their bias here and there and you have these cases where decisions are made with more leniency towards a direction.

If this happens against Madrid, more often than not the line is drawn right and the goal is disallowed. Every close call is nearly always judged in Madrid's way. I've seen this happen a lot.

It is what it is. Madrid are the no1 team in Spain and football fans in Spain love them the most. Referees are football fans as well. These decisions don't matter usually, except in very close seasons, when both teams are usually not great and are susceptible to lose points in many away games. That's when decisions like that mean won points, instead of lost points.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

I actually posted this as soon as they gave it:

Love to see the lines on that from VAR.

If they’re going to use VAR, at least use it right. Titles can be decided on calls like this, even more so if it happens more than once.

Btw you’ve gone from saying the line is from the Betis players knee and the dotted line can be wherever, to now understanding what I was saying so now it’s “would I disallow it?”. Rules are there, may as well follow them. You were in full support of VAR remember the convo from last season and wanted it to improve, so odd stance you’ve got now on it now it’s shown to have been used wrong.

Vilarrubi

I already did it. It's marginally offside imo.

If it were me, I'd let all goals be in these cases, where the margin of error is too small. But somehow Madrid is judged with the benefit of the doubt almost always in their favor. That's the benefit of having the most fans in the country. And like Iturralde said, referees are big fans of the game. All it takes is a bit less professionalism and your bias infiltrates your decision-making process. It doesn't have to be a large corruption scheme like Calciopoli. A few refs showing their bias here and there and you have these cases where decisions are made with more leniency towards a direction.

If this happens against Madrid, more often than not the line is drawn right and the goal is disallowed. Every close call is nearly always judged in Madrid's way. I've seen this happen a lot.

It is what it is. Madrid are the no1 team in Spain and football fans in Spain love them the most. Referees are football fans as well. These decisions don't matter usually, except in very close seasons, when both teams are usually not great.

I meant the correct line down from Carvajal, not the Betis defender.

El Gato

Villarato!
I am aware of this argument, and it's wrong IMO.
Players always are on the move the moment the ball is played and make several steps and moves before executing.
When you wanna check what's the relevant position of two runners you check where the center of the body is, especially when they are not moving in the same direction.

That's the spirit of the off-side law since forever and that's how refs were calling them before VAR. That's why so many people get irritated with VAR and are accusing (wrongly) the technology itself, without realizing that the interpretation of the implementation of the technology has fucked up the spirit of the law

Doesn't make a difference if people get irritated.
'Spirit of the game' arguments are generalised nonsense. Just an excuse to be imprecise about employing rules and then getting mad when the inconsistent employment goes against you.

Villarrubi
I stand corrected. Could be milimetres offside.

But there's no reason to draw line from Carvajal foot. Ball dictates the offside.

I’m sure Serghei can do it.

Lmao

Last edited:

serghei

I meant the correct line down from Carvajal, not the Betis defender.

It's about the same as the yellow line in the image I posted. Benzema is slightly more advanced no matter what reference point you take (the ball - back pass theory, or Betis player). As long as you don't cheat with the line like they did. Which makes me suspicious, because they happened to make an error in the one way you can make Benzema seem on.

Now looking at how they judged this goal, I'm not even sore Jovic was on at the red card incident. Maybe they cooked something there too, make it 3 out of 3. :lol:.

I stand corrected. Could be milimetres offside.

Praise the Lord. :worthy: He did it!!!

Can we try a confession for that clear offensive foul at the third goal, now that you're in a confessional mood?

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Praise the Lord. :worthy: He did it!!!

Can we try a confession for that clear offensive foul at the third goal, now that you're in a confessional mood?

Oh I will. The moment you show me where the push occurs and back up the claim to the contrary with data.

Amazing how you don't even realise when you're making a clown out of yourself.

Birdy

Doesn't make a difference if people get irritated.
'Spirit of the game' arguments are generalised nonsense. Just an excuse to be imprecise about employing rules and then getting mad when the inconsistent employment goes against you.

I am implying people get irritated for right reasons.
If offside decisions violate common sense, there is nothing wrong with common sense, there is something wrong with the decisions.
And has nothing to do with imprecision. Could be again 100% precise with the change I mentioned.
It's how naked eye has been judging offside since offside started in football

El Gato

Villarato!
I am implying people get irritated for right reasons.
If offside decisions violate common sense, there is nothing wrong with common sense, there is something wrong with the decisions.
And has nothing to do with imprecision. Could be again 100% precise with the change I mentioned.
It's how naked eye has been judging offside since offside started in football

Most of the time they aren't. They're the people who whine when offsides are called by millimetres (even if correctly), when VAR takes a long time (even when difficult calls swing results), when players who trip up others up unintentionally get sent off when lack of intervention would influence the game etc etc. They'd talk differently if they were on the wrong side of a bad call.

Naked eye is shit. Anyone working with optics will tell you that. No excuse to use old methods when we have something better. You don't have to like it to understand it.

Home of Barca Fans