Kylian Mbappé

Morten

People here are living in fantasy-land, there is no way that Mbappe leaves, unless QSG somehow goes to hell.
Do like i do, pretend like he doesnt exist most of the time, its easier that way.

Jadentheman

La Liga only caught fire after players like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo moved there. In other words, get over yourselves, because the footballing landscape can change very quickly. Just ask Italy.

Uh no. Lots of world class players were lighting it up in La Liga way before R10 and R9. And even if we use that argument then explain how majority of teams and players that win important international silverware and player awards mostly come from La Liga?

If you want to prove and cement your world class status you go to La Liga.

Porque

La Liga only caught fire after players like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo moved there. In other words, get over yourselves, because the footballing landscape can change very quickly. Just ask Italy.

Jair at it again. Re-charged the batteries after the Man U result ;)

Which Ronaldo? Because the Brazilian Ronaldo moved to LaLiga in 1996, thats almost 25 years ago and countless star players from all over the world moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Valencia and the rest during this time. Ligue1 (note, not PSG) need a lot of brand building to bridge that gap. A lot.

From a marketing standpoint, who will be bigger than Kylian that is currently playing in Spain? No one. That’s who.

No one can say that. LaLiga's stars will be whoever Madrid and Barcelona push as their stars with European success being the affirmation of it. Nike and Adidas will want to play their biggest marketing players into these two clubs.

Florentino is the king of star building, through Balon D'or he managed to convince the world Ronaldo is as good as Messi. He managed to actually get Modric the Balon D'or over World Cup winning Golden boy Mbappe.

It could be Dembele and Vinicius for all we know. Both are more flashy for casuals than Mbappe.

As you said, the football landscape moves fast. In two years there will be a few more wonder kids and they won't be French and land into the arms of PSG.

Jair Ventura

Uh no. Lots of world class players were lighting it up in La Liga way before R10 and R9. And even if we use that argument then explain how majority of teams and players that win important international silverware and player awards mostly come from La Liga?

Before Ronaldinho moved to FC Barcelona in '03, the Blaugrana had only one UCL trophy in their cabinet and it was won during the 91-92 season. At that time the most followed leagues in the world were Serie A and the EPL.

Jair at it again. Re-charged the batteries after the Man U result ;)

Which Ronaldo? Because the Brazilian Ronaldo moved to LaLiga in 1996, thats almost 25 years ago and countless star players from all over the world moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Valencia and the rest during this time. Ligue1 (note, not PSG) need a lot of brand building to bridge that gap. A lot.

Ronaldinho Gaúcho's transfer from PSG is the move that sparked FC Barcelona's development into one of the worlds biggest clubs. It also represents the period when La Liga's popularity began to overtake Serie A's.

No one can say that. LaLiga's stars will be whoever Madrid and Barcelona push as their stars with European success being the affirmation of it. Nike and Adidas will want to play their biggest marketing players into these two clubs.

I can say that because it is reality. Kylian is far and away the biggest u21 star in the world. No one else is in his stratosphere.

It could be Dembele and Vinicius for all we know. Both are more flashy for casuals than Mbappe.

Most casuals haven't a clue who either are, whereas Kylian is already an international superstar.

As you said, the football landscape moves fast. In two years there will be a few more wonder kids and they won't be French and land into the arms of PSG.

Of course, because players like Kylian break out all the time... :lol:

Last edited:

Porque

Before Ronaldinho moved to FC Barcelona in '03, the Blaugrana had only one UCL trophy in their cabinet and it was won during the 91-92 season. At that time the most followed leagues in the world were Serie A and the EPL.

Ronaldinho Gaúcho's transfer from PSG is the move that sparked FC Barcelona's development into one of the worlds biggest clubs. It also represents the period when La Liga's popularity began to overtake Serie A's.

I can say that because it is reality. Kylian is far and away the biggest u21 star in the world. No one else is in his stratosphere.

Most casuals haven't a clue who either are, whereas Kylian is already an international superstar.

Before Ronaldinho Barcelona had Romario. Before Romario Barcelona had Laudrup and the CL. Before The European Cup Barcelona had a little known Argentinian called Maradona. Lets not pretend that they were not a big club before Ronaldinho came. Before Ronaldinho Barcelona had European Cup Finals and the most winners of the Cup Winners Cup and Uefa Cup (Europa League).

But most importantly before Ronaldinho Barcelona had Madrid (who's success we have not even talked about and does not need mentioning) and the rivalry that Ligue 1 can only dream to sell internationally.

But it is true that their most dominant period in the Champions coincided with the arrival of the Laporta regime.

Hyperbole. Mbappe World Cup wasn't even as venerated as James Rodriguez' in 2014, or as productive as a 20 year old Muller's in 2010. Two examples of where World Cup perhaps don't tell the whole story. But for sure France winning the World Cup helped build his brand value more than the rest for sure, giving him top spot in the Soccerex 20 under 21 2018. Because at PSG that sure as hell wasn't happening.

Your comment was will, which is talking about events in the future. I am saying that right now in LaLiga the two best places are Vinicius as Florentino can build him as a global star with Ronaldo's boots to fill (again look who won the World Cup Golden Ball and and FIFA Player of the Year. Hint: It was an old man at Madrid. Imagine what Madrid can do for Vini.

Then Dembele who actually uninjured and playing consistently is building his profile immensely this season.

If there is one thing I have learned as next big things always come along. Whether potential is fulfilled is a different question, and whether they become a marketing machine is another thing too. Two years after Messi emerged a player in Argentina was doing things as good, at a younger age. He was called Aguero. Imagine moving to Barcelona or Madrid and not Atletico. Injuries screwed him up too.

So yes, I would err on the edge of caution when proclaiming that Mbappe is, and can be the only mediatic global star in football to emerge over the coming years. And that is not even bringing into the equation of how big his profile will be if he sticks in Ligue1, especially if PSG never bring in a CL.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

LOL, at the obsession about the European Cup/CL. There were other very prestigious European tournaments before everything was all about the CL. The UEFA Cup for instance was in many regards stronger than the European Cup as many more top teams participated in it. Or the Cup Winners Cup.

Barça had won countless of CdR titles (second most prestigious and important domestic cup in the world after the FA Cup), La Liga titles (historically the strongest and most successful league in Europe), a record number of 4 Cup Winner's Cups (the third most prestigious European tournament), 3 UEFA Cup's or more precisely its predecessor the Inter-City Fairs Cup a record number of times, 1 European Cup win, 2 finals and countless of quarterfinals and semifinals appearances, 2 Latin Cup titles (the predecessor of the CL) two European Super Cups etc.

Barça were definitely in the top 5/6 even pre-2003.

Not that it matters as what was done in 2008 or in 1958 is history in the exact same manner.

Type "Football records in Spain" on Wikipedia and click on the "Most successful clubs overall (official titles, 1903–present)".

93 official titles. More than any other club in the top 5 leagues of Europe. Only the likes of Rangers and Celtic have more official trophies due to their leagues and domestic cups being 30-40 years older and Scotland being the most one-sided league in the world with Celtic and Rangers winning almost every single trophy available.

I highly doubt that the EPL were more popular pre-2003 than the Spanish league. No way. Jair writing nonsense as usual.

WTF? Is Wikipedia banned here for some strange reason?

The serial troll Jair Ventura now taking a dig at the most successful league in Europe historically (by far) in La Liga where most of the world's greatest stars and icons have played, the league from where the most Ballon d'Or winners came, where the two most iconic and prestigious clubs are located, where the best football has been played overall etc. Amazing but not surprising.:lol:

All to somehow create a ridiculous narrative of Ligue 1 overtaking La Liga.:lol: Try overtaking Serie A (would take decades if it ever happens, I highly doubt that it will ever happen) which is on the rise before blabbering about overtaking La Liga. Or the Bundesliga for that matter.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

LM, I think he got mixed up with Liga NOS, and I think after back and forth jockeying, Ligue 1 is solidly ahead of them now and probably will be for the forseeable future.

Bulgroz

He decided a lot of games all by himself. In UCL (even in Monaco when he was 18 and went on to obliterate City all by himself), in Ligue 1 (yeah yeah, farmer ligue, but he still crushed Lyon or Marseille with no effort), or with France NT. On a much more regular basis than Dembele (who's older). I really like Dembouz, but he's several steps behind Mbappe right now. Doesn't mean he won't get there: they have different styles and strengths, and maybe Ousmane will become insane once he'll finally be a more mature player. Don't get me wrong, he's already a great player. But trying to pretend he's better right now is pure nonsense.

Xaviniesta

He decided a lot of games all by himself. In UCL (even in Monaco when he was 18 and went on to obliterate City all by himself), in Ligue 1 (yeah yeah, farmer ligue, but he still crushed Lyon or Marseille with no effort), or with France NT. On a much more regular basis than Dembele (who's older). I really like Dembouz, but he's several steps behind Mbappe right now. Doesn't mean he won't get there: they have different styles and strengths, and maybe Ousmane will become insane once he'll finally be a more mature player. Don't get me wrong, he's already a great player. But trying to pretend he's better right now is pure nonsense.

im not saying that dembele is currently better than mbappe. sure, mbappe has scored crucial goals, but, dembele clearly has that x-factor in him where he can carry the team, which i personally havent seen from mbappe yet

Jair Ventura

honestly besides his goal (di marias pass) he wasnt anything special.
Cant decide a game on his own like R9, Messi, CR

But he's already decided plenty of games by himself, even up in the UCL(At the Etihad) and even the WC(Argentina). You guys just have a weird obsession with downplaying his impact and talent because he threatens your sensibilities.

yup and on the other hand dembele has already shown glimpses of that this season

Dembélé isn't half the player Mbappé is. It's the former, not the latter, that needs more consistency in competitive matches. As the older, more mature player no less.

im not saying that dembele is currently better than mbappe. sure, mbappe has scored crucial goals, but, dembele clearly has that x-factor in him where he can carry the team, which i personally havent seen from mbappe yet

Mbappé benched Dembélé. You're just biased as all.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

honestly besides his goal (di marias pass) he wasnt anything special.
Cant decide a game on his own like R9, Messi, CR

CR never carried a crap team on his back to anything. Mbappe has shown a lot of things already that CR does, excellent poacher, striker, clinical finisher, gets to balls quicker/higher than others can. Though maybe not the level of free kicks CR did as a younger player, but other than that can't see why he couldn't get to that type of impact. Sam with r9--I an see that comparison.

Messi, Zindane, Maradona--different kind of forces on a pitch, where whole different strategy and adjustment needed by an opponent who hopes to cope with them, and even then they might do something the best layed plans are ruined.

Home of Barca Fans