Juan Camilo Zuniga

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Nobody overreacted like they do with Zuniga now. Why? Because Alonso didn't get injured.

Exactly... And if we are going to measure by inches, then at least half the tackles that happen on professional football pitches are inches away from a tragedy... As I said earlier, his tackle on Hulk was even worse than the one on Neymar, the difference being that said tackle didn't injure a player...

Every time a player goes to a header with elbows in the air, it has the potential of, by mere inches, leave the other player in a permanent coma, let's ban those for a year too!

Exactly... And if we are going to measure by inches, then at least half the tackles that happen on professional football pitches are inches away from a tragedy... As I said earlier, his tackle on Hulk was even worse than the one on Neymar, the difference being that said tackle didn't injure a player...

His tackle on Hulk was awful and should have been a red card, but kneeing the spine is way worse than kicking the knee. WAY worse. And I may be wrong, but IIRC he was at least making some attempt to go for the ball in that Hulk tackle.

Every time a player goes to a header with elbows in the air, it has the potential of, by mere inches, leave the other player in a permanent coma, let's ban those for a year too!

When that happens, the player is trying to win the ball, not trying to injure a player like Zuniga was. If Player A intentionally elbows Player B, almost putting player B in a coma, while making no attempt to get the ball, then of course player A deserves a lengthy ban. Some people here seem to be acting like Neymar's injury was an accidental result of Zuniga challenging Neymar for the ball. It wasn't: it was a deliberate attempt from Zuniga to injure Neymar's spine.

As far as I'm concerned, what Zuniga did is no better than this:

In fact, I'd argue it's worse, since unlike Pepe, Zuniga accomplished what he was trying to do: injure his opponent.

A deliberate attempt to cause an injury that could be career ending to a player while making no attempt to get the ball is clear assault and should be punished severely.

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
His tackle on Hulk was awful, but kneeing the spine is way worse than kicking the knee. WAY worse.

When that happens, the player is trying to win the header, not trying to injure a player like Zuniga was.

The tackle on Hulk had the same career ending risk than the one on Neymar, if not more... As Don (I think) said, had Hulk's leg been in a different position he could have crushed his knee, in the same way that if Neymar's back was arched differently nothing would have happened to him...

And how can you be so sure a player is trying to win a header? There are plenty of elbows thrown in the air for no reason in football... You're using as fact that Zuñiga was intentionally trying to injure Neymar, which is simply delusional... He went to hit him, that much is clear and I don't think anybody can deny that, but to think he went with enough evil in his mind to "break his spine" as you put it is living in a fantasy land...

Watch the play in normal speed, and while it's obvious that Zuñiga would never reach the ball, those kind of fouls happen often when a team is trying to stop a counter attack... Once again, I'm not saying that's fine nor that Zuñiga is excused, because he was definitely irresponsible, but to accuse him of intent to kill is pushing it way too far...

Ursegor

World Champion
This thread injured my brain. Recovery time 2 weeks at least. Great. How am I going to pass my exams now?

The tackle on Hulk had the same career ending risk than the one on Neymar, if not more... As Don (I think) said, had Hulk's leg been in a different position he could have crushed his knee, in the same way that if Neymar's back was arched differently nothing would have happened to him...

And how can you be so sure a player is trying to win a header? There are plenty of elbows thrown in the air for no reason in football... You're using as fact that Zuñiga was intentionally trying to injure Neymar, which is simply delusional... He went to hit him, that much is clear and I don't think anybody can deny that, but to think he went with enough evil in his mind to "break his spine" as you put it is living in a fantasy land...

Watch the play in normal speed, and while it's obvious that Zuñiga would never reach the ball, those kind of fouls happen often when a team is trying to stop a counter attack... Once again, I'm not saying that's fine nor that Zuñiga is excused, because he was definitely irresponsible, but to accuse him of intent to kill is pushing it way too far...

He was certainly intending to hurt Neymar, that much is clear. You don't knee someone in the spine if you don't intend to injure them. I don't think he was intending to end Neymar's career (though he should have known that that could happen), but he certainly intended to hurt Neymar. And that was his sole intention. Again, no attempt to go for the ball whatsoever. If you go in with the sole intent to injure, and that injury could be career ending, it's assault and deserves a lengthy ban.

Last edited:
I

instinct

This thread injured my brain. Recovery time 2 weeks at least. Great. How am I going to pass my exams now?

_75485678_cesc_fabregas_chelsea.jpg

This should motivate you. :cesc:

I hate how some people are acting like it was simply a "reckless challenge". It wasn't, it was blatant assault. I don't really see any difference between it and what Pepe did to that Getafe player (except that Zuniga succeeded in injuring his victim, and that Pepe made his intentions even more obvious than Zuniga did).

It's good that FIFA are looking into this, but he'll probably be banned for a couple of international matches at most. If he's punished at all.

Last edited:

CesDel

No it wasn't. You're just saying that because it was one of Barca's players. Neymar was just unlucky. De Jong on Alonso was way, way worse. Nobody overreacted like they do with Zuniga now. Why? Because Alonso didn't get injured.

What? I remember there being a shit storm of abuse towards De jong, and the netherlands in general, after the game. Of course not as much as Zuñiga right now, mostly because of what you said and also because of the fact that if the knee would have hit 2,5 cm higher, Neymar right now would have been paralyzed..

CesDel

I don't agree. At worst, Hulks career would have ended, where as Neymar could have been paralyzed if the knee would have hit him 2,5 cm higher..

Neymessi

OMG.In the neymar thread not many are saying that the foul was intentional.But it looks like everyone is defending him here.This is is best gif of the foul that will pretty much show he did it intentionally.If you cannot see it you are blind.

6fdbc8d4jw1ei1lguo5mjg20c806wqv7.gif

2.3 cm higher it could have ended the career.Had it been messi,half of the forum would have gone nuts by now.

Home of Barca Fans