Joshua Kimmich

khaled_a_d

Please, people only hated the washed up version of Rakitic.

Also (old) Vidal, Kessie, Gomes (!!!) and mentally checked out Arda were never Barca quality, nothing to do with Barca DNA.

And leave Paulinho alone ffs. His stint was great (like Auba's).

I think he is talking about fans reaction.
Rakitic wasn't popular player after his first season, and even during that season people were pissed we choose him over Kroos (which was right decision btw, but different discussion). Paulinho was the opposite, fans hated him till last few months and loved him after we got our money back.

In general he got a point, there is huge chunk of Barca fans who has obsession with "elegance " in midfield and could argue they are the loudest on the Web. Those will never accept to see Brozovic or Amrabat type of DM replacing Busquets, even if we will a treble with one of them starting.

I mean you can look at twitter, there is are a lot who think Redondo is the chosen one because he looked "Busquets-esque" against New Zealand U20 team in his home turf 😀

As for Brozovic, my main concern is that he is heavy smoker and 31 years old player who is reliant on Stamina, the moment he loses it he will be a deadweight.

Porque

@BBZ, difference is any DMC coming in today is not coming to co-exist with Busquets. The situation is totally different to the times of the names you pitched.

So it returns to a baby sitting role as the DMC role usually is. And more responsibility and thus freedom to FdJ, Pedri or whoever is ahead.

More responsibility to the midfielders in front (be it a mid 3 or 4), something Barcelona hasn't had since 2007.

So a Brozovic type should suffice.

If you read Xavi answers to a Busi replacement yesterday it is clear that he gets it (ofc what happens in action can be very different than words). He is talking about physicality, defensive attributes and of course passing. So he is not looking for a like for like to Busquets. And possibly, between the lines he is also saying no to Ruben Neves.

BBZ8800

Look, imo, 95% of users here don't watch Brozovic as much as a few of us who are from Croatia, who at least watched him 50+ times in NT matches.

Brozovic is a kind of a player who is lucky to be a part of famous generation of his country.
The same as how Busi was lucky to be a 3rd wheel in Xavi-Iniesta (plus Messi) midfield.
Brozovic was the 3rd part of Modric-Rakitic midfield.
But there you had Modric, who is an amazing player.
When you remove Modric, that midfield is far from magical.
When you remove Modric and Rakitic (who played for years as starters for Barca and Real), you get meh players left.

Brozovic got famous for being that "3rd guy" in Croatian WC medals in 2018 and 2022, but it is hard to tell whether he could work in any other team/setup than in Croatian.
Croatian fans know problems with Brozovic: he is the opposite of Arthur.
I do hate Arthur a lot, but he did have a few skills, like press resistance.
Brozovic will not crumble under pressure, but he will not take the ball out of the danger: he will boot it upfield or play a backpass to a GK every time.
If you guys thought that Rakitic is bad under pressure in CL matches, then Brozo is a few levels worse than him.
Brozovic offers 13 km covered per match, great tackles and covering when a team doesn't have the ball.
But when the team has the ball, he is just meh and a bypasser.
And since Barca relies on possession and combinations, you have one man down (only slightly better than Paulinho in build up).
And then, since we have Frenkie, whom I don't rate highly build-up wise, you have 2 meh midfielders in terms of build up and you are getting Ernesto's type of midfield.

Since Brozovic isn't able to get the ball out of danger like Arthur or Busi, then Modric and Rakitic had to come deep to help him and then Croatia often had 3 midfielders getting too deep to get the ball and it is hard to get the ball out of our half or make a counter.

Ok, I am shitting on every player, but imo, you guys are overrating Brozo's playmaking abilities.
I would say: playmaking wise, Brozo isn't any better than current Kessie and majority of people don't think that he is good enough for Barca.
Also, Brozo regressed a lot since his peak around 2018'

But as I have said: if we do get Messi back, that is a different story since we will have a playmaker then, and Brozo could do a dirty work behind Messi, the same as Argie's midfield at a WC.
But if we get Brozo and don't get Messi, then be prepared to Valverde's type of boring football and as Catalinutz would say: PAIN

Andresito

Staff member
As for Brozovic, my main concern is that he is heavy smoker and 31 years old player who is reliant on Stamina, the moment he loses it he will be a deadweight.
Some people just have a high level of natural stamina. And stamina isn't declining heavily like acceleration and pace. Look at Kipchoge, still going strong at close to 40.

Modric at 37 is still covering 10.3 km/90 min in CL. A stamina machine like Valverde is on 10.7 km/90 min. Not that big of a difference, more dependent on mentality than age really.

Porque

@BBZ

Good post. You know him more than most here.

We're looking for this guy.

-----Frenkie-Brozovic-------
----------Pedri--------Gavi------

Someone that allows the other three to do the conducting and offensive duties.

Even without Messi, think he can do the job sufficiently for a season or two, or have someone better in mind?

It's not going to be a sophisticated role, just high effort.

vuji_31

Brozovic is CDM, we don't need t LDB's passing from him.

Get the ball, pass the ball, cover the midfield and be press resistant.

Co0ter

What we need is a DM with legs and decent pace to be able to cover Balde and hopefully an attacking RB like Frimpong while they bomb forward so we don't have our wingers isolated doing nothing on the touchline 90% of the game. Don't even have to play both wingbacks together all the time, but coverage none the less.

Enough with the garbage Xaviball tactics.

Gnidrologist

I am number 6.

iu

Temptation

He's a deep lying playmaker. Starts the deepest in the Midfield 3 as the anchor in a 433 or in a double pivot in a 4231.

On the pitch that's exactly where a Number 6 starts in a 433. But the roles are slightly different.

If Tuchel means a proper destroyer at number 6, then he isn't exactly that. That'd be Casemiro, Rodri, Fabinho.

These conversations are tricky for casual fans and you need proper ball knowledge and nuances to talk about this shit.

Home of Barca Fans