Josep Maria Bartomeu

Interlop

I'm not trying to defend Bartomeu here, but how did he a have a poor sporting plan if we won the treble. Sure, last year we didn't win any trophies but they did a good job during the summer with the signings of Luis Suarez, Rakitic and Mathieu. They only thing I have against Bartomeu is the Douglas deal, and maybe Neymar's case (if he was involved).

Kohe321

I'm not trying to defend Bartomeu here, but how did he a have a poor sporting plan if we won the treble. Sure, last year we didn't win any trophies but they did a good job during the summer with the signings of Luis Suarez, Rakitic and Mathieu. They only thing I have against Bartomeu is the Douglas deal, and maybe Neymar's case (if he was involved).

That was Zubi, and he deserves credit for finding and signing Lucho, Rakitic, MAtS etc. Bartomeu just went with it, he knows very little of football and basically let the sporting director do his job.

The funny thing is that Bartomeu fired Zubi, the one who signed Lucho in the first place, when things were at their darkest... But after the players and Lucho managed to turn things around and end the season in a historic fashion, he pushes to renew Lucho's contract. It's not exactly rocket science. I honestly can't see how Bartomeu deserves much credit, if any, for this treble. He has done an okay-ish job in making some good decisions now that the elections are looming. But are we really ready to trust him in leading the club for a full presidential period where he doesn't have to pull off popular moves in order to keep his job? I'm not.

The list of poor decisions and scandals stemming from this boards mismanagement is long enough for me to want something new. Perhaps Benedito?

Last edited:

JamDav1982

That was Zubi, and he deserves credit for finding and signing Lucho, Rakitic, MAtS etc. Bartomeu just went with it, he knows very little of football and basically let the sporting director do his job.

The funny thing is that Bartomeu fired Zubi, the one who signed Lucho in the first place, when things looked at their darkest... But now that the team and Lucho managed to turn things around, and end the season in a historic fashion, he renews his contract. Not exactly rocket science. I honestly can't see how Bartomeu deserves much credit, if any, for this treble. He has done an okay-ish job in making some good decisions now that the elections are looming. But are we really ready to trust him in leading the club for another full presidential period when he doesn't have to pull off popular moves in order to keep his job? I'm not.

The list of horrendous decisions Rosell and Barto has done is enough for me to want something new. He has patched some things up after Rosell, that's it.

Again as has been said many times, if you give credit to Zubi for all of those sigings and Lucho then apply the same rules to every President.

In reality the best presidents delegate to the right people. Thats why Laporta gets credit for signings under him and making Pep the manager and Lucho gets credit for Lucho and the players signed.

There is an element of luck involved but presidents live/die by those under them and they choose who they are.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
The defence and need for CBs has not been the problem as this season has proved. The last three CL exits against Atletico, Chelsea and Bayern the team had little going forward when it mattered. Said that all along and look what happens when they change the style, and midfield/attacking players.

No team as badly 'mismanaged' as you make out wins two CLs and three league titles in five years.

Barca have been the best team in the world over that time. You are just speaking nonsense to try and push this 'mismanaged' idea.

Why did Laporta only suddenly care about B team when Pep took over what about previous years? Pep rescued that team and set out new rules etc at a moment they were thinking of taking down the ministad to help build new stadium.

The issue of the B team is down to it being so young which has happened for a variety of reasons and they pushed it too far. That B team will be back and players in it will progress to first team.

Lets see what Laporta can do with a treble winning side over next five years. Should be plain sailing according to your rules. I predict it wont and would be doing well to repeat three leagues and two CLs in five years.

You clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about. You haven't been watching this team the previous 3 years if you say the defense and lack of CBs was not a problem and was well managed. That the offense and midfield was also a problem and needed better management as well is additional, not the reason.

This team up until this season was poorly managed and had a very poor plan in place to renew it. This is a fact. A treble this season does not erase the last 3 seasons of decline due to poor renewal project. Barca were not the best team in the world until this season. The only one speaking nonsense and justifying/erasing everything that transpired in the past just because of the good results this season is you.

Laporta always cared about the B side. It has always been his project to build from the inside, and with Barca DNA, his relationship and closeness with Johan Cryuff and his mantra show this. He brought Pep and renewed that B side with a sustainable project that was successful and left it primed for success. This is no longer the case. B team being young is sorry excuse, that team has always been young. It has been terribly mismanaged and relegation isn't even the worst symptom.

According to my rules? What nonsense are you spouting? If Laporta wins I'll judge him for what he does and criticize him if he merits it. I'll certainly won't make constant excuses and have selective memory to pick a choose what I believe or dismiss.

Last edited:

raki

I will not be susprised if he wins. Triplete, good transfers, finantial health and barça on the top of the world again. He must have some credit. I do not believe on self-management.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
In any case, I need to get back to work. Haven't done crap all afternoon because of this forum.

JamDav you clearly for some reason have a overwhelmingly positive attitude for this board and either do as well for the past one, or do not hold the current one responsible for it's association to it.

I do not understand it, I cannot fathom it, but this is your opinion and I can but only disagree with it.

back to work for me.

MessiDinho10

The defence and need for CBs has not been the problem as this season has proved. The last three CL exits against Atletico, Chelsea and Bayern the team had little going forward when it mattered. Said that all along and look what happens when they change the style, and midfield/attacking players.

No team as badly 'mismanaged' as you make out wins two CLs and three league titles in five years.

Barca have been the best team in the world over that time. You are just speaking nonsense to try and push this 'mismanaged' idea.

Why did Laporta only suddenly care about B team when Pep took over what about previous years? Pep rescued that team and set out new rules etc at a moment they were thinking of taking down the ministad to help build new stadium.

The issue of the B team is down to it being so young which has happened for a variety of reasons and they pushed it too far. That B team will be back and players in it will progress to first team.

Lets see what Laporta can do with a treble winning side over next five years. Should be plain sailing according to your rules. I predict it wont and would be doing well to repeat three leagues and two CLs in five years.

I feel you're giving Bartomeu and co (far) too much credit here. The defense has been a problem, although it's often exaggerated. The board have tried to solve it by signing Mathieu and Vermaelen. Mathieu has been a decent player but the signing of Vermaelen made no sense and can be considered a failure. If it wasn't for the resurrection of Pique (credit to Lucho, NOT the board) the defense would still be a problem.

Also, both of you forget the fact that we have the best and most decisive player in the world and arguably the best player ever in our team. Messi has been the driving factor behind the treble, much more than Pique or any other player, coach of board member. Then add the fact that half of the starting eleven was more or less gifted to this board by the former board, which shows that the influence of Laporta's term is still huge.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

You clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about. You haven't been watching this team the previous 3 years if you say the defense and lack of CBs was not a problem and was well managed. That the offense and midfield was also a problem and needed better management as well is additional, not the reason.

This team up until this season was poorly managed and had a very poor plan in place to renew it. This is a fact. A treble this season does not erase the last 3 seasons of decline due to poor renewal project. Barca were not the best team in the world until this season. The only one speaking nonsense and justifying/erasing everything that transpiring in the past just because of the good results this season is you.

Laporta always cared about the B side. It has always been his project to build from the inside, and with Barca DNA, his relationship and closeness with Johan Cryuff and his mantra show this. He brought Pep and renewed that B side with a sustainable project that was successful and left it primed for success. This is no longer the case. B team being young is sorry excuse, that team has always been young. It has been terribly mismanaged and relegation isn't even the worst symptom.

According to my rules? What nonsense are you spouting? If Laporta wins I'll judge him for what he does and criticize him if he merits it. I'll certainly won't make constant excuses and have selective memory to pick a choose what I believe or dismiss.

I am saying the lack of CBs was not the main problem and the main issue and the bigger problem was lack of threat going forward in biggest games. With slow, passing style of midfield based game. On players past their best.

Defence didnt change, just got it a bit better organised but the midfield and attack did change and team was transformed.

Nothing at all you say is a fact and they were not mismanaged any more than any great team going through a rebuilding and they never went more than one season with a major trophy while doing it.

Over the past five seasons Barca have been best in world. Tell me who has been better in that time then?

Again nonsense about Laporta 'always caring for B side'. Before Pep came in they were at their lowest position for almost 30 years and that was five years into Laportas project.

Have Barca ever had a more succesful five years in terms of trophies than 2010 -2015? I doubt it, maybe Cruyffs team but two CLs is hard to beat.

You dont have realistic expectations that any team can keep winning it all every year.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Then add the fact that half of the starting eleven was more or less gifted to this board by the former board, which shows that the influence of Laporta's term is still huge.

I feel that this point is kind of odd. Is a new board supposed to do a wholesale clear out of the squad or something? Credit here is to the players and the previous coaches, not Laporta.

JamDav1982

I feel you're giving Bartomeu and co (far) too much credit here. The defense has been a problem, although it's often exaggerated. The board have tried to solve it by signing Mathieu and Vermaelen. Mathieu has been a decent player but the signing of Vermaelen made no sense and can be considered a failure. If it wasn't for the resurrection of Pique (credit to Lucho, NOT the board) the defense would still be a problem.

Also, both of you forget the fact that we have the best and most decisive player in the world and arguably the best player ever in our team. Messi has been the driving factor behind the treble, much more than Pique and others. Then add the fact that half of the starting eleven was more or less gifted to this board by the former board, which shows that the influence of Laporta's term is still huge.

Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi were all gifted to Barca by the board before Laporta.

Piques return to form is in large part to the correct management team being in place anyway. It is all connected.

Richard.H

I agree Bartomeu didn't do a bad job. However, Bartomeu played a role in Barca's bad reputation a few years ago.

At least with Laporta you are guaranteed a president that tries to stay out of any player matters. He lets the coach run the show and stays out of the business of the players. This is how a president should be and this is why many current and former players enjoyed his company. The guy also has a very likeable personality, something that Rossell or Bartomeu never had.

Yes, there are hints of corruption with Laporta also, but these days, ask yourself which football president is not corrupt? I bet Flo pays a ton of money to Spanish media to keep their mouths shut.

MessiDinho10

Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi were all gifted to Barca by the board before Laporta.

Piques return to form is in large part to the correct management team being in place anyway. It is all connected.

How are Puyol and Valdes still part of the team? And Xavi has not been a starting XI player this season. Iniesta and Messi were brought by the board before Laporta, but only cemented a place in the starting XI during Laporta's term, under Rijkaard and Guardiola. They have developed a lot during that period, which is why they're so amazingly good right now.

Edit: totally forgot about your point on Pique.

Do you think the board has anything to do with Pique's form and resurrection? His performances should be credited to Lucho and the staff (teammanagement, as you said). The board is not part of that process. Haven't you seen Dani Alves' quote in his presser, in which he makes a distinction between the club and the team (it was mentioned in this discussion somewhere). Pique's situation is where that statement is very fitting.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

How are Puyol and Valdes still part of the team? And Xavi has not been a starting XI player this season. Iniesta and Messi were brought by the board before Laporta, but only cemented a place in the starting XI during Laporta's term, under Rijkaard and Guardiola. They have developed a lot during that period, which is why they're so amazingly good right now.

Not saying they are part of team but they were the most important players in Peps team in Laportas era. No different from players being from Laporta era now.

Messi and Iniesta were too young to nail down place before Laporta but they were always going to be big players. Messi was going to be best in world regardless.

Home of Barca Fans