Jordi Mboula

JamDav1982

Mboula isnt even close to the goal of first team or looking like he is being denied any chances for that to be a worry for him. That is the point.

You last part is what I am saying but I dont agree with the idea that players like Mboula should be making that move due to lack of opportunity or it being seen as the correct move for that reason.

It is not as black and white that for his career to follow the money and 'promises' of first team football is the correct move either.

Plenty of players have left with these promises and gone nowhere.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Sure. Nobody are saying it will absolutely be good for anybody to leave La Masia.

Think we have our wires crossed a bit.

I am not saying he should stay out of blind loyalty or he is without a doubt making the wrong decision to go the only part I dont agree with is that he should leave as there is no real path to the first team for him.

He will be leaving before that has even had a chance.

serghei

Yea, Pedro was an example of a player that made the step towards the first team and made it well. And his career was great as a result, and still is with Chelsea. I think the players who just leave at the first decent offer don't really care for the club at all. There is no higher reward for them, or an extra ambition in life, to succeed at Barcelona.

Since I doubt we'll have a player that will force himself in the tream at an extremely young age like Messi anytime soon, ambition and will to make it at Barcelona will prove to be key elements for these players. Pedro was an excellent example. He wasn't an insane talent, but a player who knew what he wanted, and had the will and discipline to be a model professional. In the end, he got to play as the starter in the best team ever. Is there a higher reward in sports than seeing that happen?

Last edited:

Windhook

Yea, Pedro was an example of a player that made the step towards the first team and made it well. And his career was great as a result, and still is with Chelsea. I think the players who just leave at the first decent offer don't really care for the club at all. There is no higher reward for them, or an extra ambition in life, to succeed at Barcelona.

It was all thanks to Laporta appointing Pep as manager of Barcelona first team. Everything happened in the right time in the right place. It just clicked. Rijkaard was really really slow at introducing young players to the first team. It almost seemed he doesn't care for La Masia. Many players were sold/released of that 1987 generation - Pique, Fabregas... I believe if it wasn't for Pep, Pedro right now would be playing somewhere in Cyprus or Greece.

khaled_a_d

It was all thanks to Laporta appointing Pep as manager of Barcelona first team. Everything happened in the right time in the right place. It just clicked. Rijkaard was really really slow at introducing young players to the first team. It almost seemed he doesn't care for La Masia. Many players were sold/released of that 1987 generation - Pique, Fabregas... I believe if it wasn't for Pep, Pedro right now would be playing somewhere in Cyprus or Greece.

Lol what?
Rijkaard was using La Masia more than any other coach including Pep himself, hell Pep slowed down what Rijkaard was doing as he was handing promotions to 17 & 18 years old kids. There were even rumors he tried to send Bojan back to B team when he was appointed

1987 generation? why on planet earth would be this on Rijkaard? Cesc left b4 Laporta was elected and Rijkaard was appointed. Pique was 17 and it was on those controlling La Masia, after Pique moving away Barca started changes in La Masia and kept every significant talent we had out there.

Pedro and Busquets had a lot to thank Pep for, but huge reason for that is he came from B team to 1st directly,he was grooming those players. And even after it took Pedro full season to get promoted at the age of 22. Pedro was late bloomer anyway. it wasn't like he was ignored by Rijkaard when he was on fire,he wasn't even in B team b4 Pep appointed to Barca B.
Same for Busquets who joined us in 2005 at the age of 17,but was only promoted to B team at the age of 19 under Pep. This was on Pere Gratacós who didn't use Busquets on a team that was bad enough to get relegated to 4th division

Windhook

Lol what?
Rijkaard was using La Masia more than any other coach including Pep himself, hell Pep slowed down what Rijkaard was doing as he was handing promotions to 17 & 18 years old kids. There were even rumors he tried to send Bojan back to B team when he was appointed

1987 generation? why on planet earth would be this on Rijkaard? Cesc left b4 Laporta was elected and Rijkaard was appointed. Pique was 17 and it was on those controlling La Masia, after Pique moving away Barca started changes in La Masia and kept every significant talent we had out there.

Pedro and Busquets had a lot to thank Pep for, but huge reason for that is he came from B team to 1st directly,he was grooming those players. And even after it took Pedro full season to get promoted at the age of 22. Pedro was late bloomer anyway. it wasn't like he was ignored by Rijkaard when he was on fire,he wasn't even in B team b4 Pep appointed to Barca B.
Same for Busquets who joined us in 2005 at the age of 17,but was only promoted to B team at the age of 19 under Pep. This was on Pere Gratacós who didn't use Busquets on a team that was bad enough to get relegated to 4th division

Lol what? Prove your point, don't talk like Rijkaard managed Barca B at the same time.

Because Rijkaard cared so much for the young players he decided we should sign Thierry Henry, Henrik Larsson and Santi Ezquerro.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Lol what? Prove your point, don't talk like Rijkaard managed Barca B at the same time.

Because Rijkaard cared so much for the young players he decided we should sign Thierry Henry, Henrik Larsson and Santi Ezquerro.

I have proved my point very well,it is actually you who has talked without proving anything, blaming first team coach for not promoting players who isn't even in Barca B?
Rijkaard has promoted Valdes and made him 1st team GK despite Laporta marketing signing of Rustu (who was voted best GK in 2002 in UEFA half year ago) and promoted Oleguer, Iniesta,Messi, GDS & Bojan. Hell he even tried to push Crosas into 1st team squad
Signing Larsson? yeah gr8 signing on spot? what does it prove ffs?
Signing Henry? we had 3 attackers for 3 positions,Henry was the 4th and the rest of attacking line was 18 years old Dos Santos and 17 years old Bojan. we should have signed another attacker and he stupidly decided to count on La Masia too much.
I have seen Rijkaard blamed for ton of things, but this one is brand new to say at least
And one last thing,I didn't talk like Rijkaard managed Barca B at same time, actually this is exactly my point,he isn't responsible for not promoting Busquets and Pedro to Barca B until 2007/2008 season. He wasn't responsible by any means for Cesc departure or Pique (one who has left before election ffs) and yet you put the blame on him?

Last edited:

Windhook

Rijkaard has promoted Valdes and made him 1st team coach despite Laporta marketing signing of Rustu (who was voted best GK in 2002 in UEFA half year ago) and promoted Oleguer, Iniesta,Messi, GDS & Bojan. Hell he even tried to push Crosas into 1st team squad

You are right about Rustu sucking big time in Barca. And you also right about Victor Valdes stepping up to cover the Turks mistakes, earning a starter place as goalkeeper for Barcelona. But YOU ARE WRONG on one thing - it was not Frank Rijkaard, mate. It was Louis Van Gaal who gave Victor the chance to earn his spot. Later Van Gaal got sacked, I think sometime in the spring of 2003, after which Radomir Antic took control of the team, balancing the team to a marvelous 6th place finish. And Rustu was sold or loaned back to Fenerbahce right at the start of Laporta reign.

Signing Larsson, Ezquerro and Henry proved that he was not pleased with the quality available at Barcelona B at the time. Larsson was a short-term gain, Ezquerro was total crap, Henry never really made impact until Pep came along. Bojan never made it big, he had potential though. I love Rijkaard for introducing Iniesta and Oleguer to the squad, but they both were not much convincing in the Rijkaard era. Oleguer had a good season and was instrumental in our Champions League run in 2005-06. But that was the beginning of his decline. And of course we have to be grateful for the introduction of Messi, who spent many months on the injured list.

Rijkaard was good coach, the right one at the time, being a protege of Cruyff (who had great relationship with Laporta), but Frank wasn't a great coach. He owes big part of his legacy to the individual brilliance of non-La Masia players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Ludovic Guily, Deco etc. Maybe you remember that for some time in 2004/05 we played without strikers, Kluivert and Saviola injured, it was crazy. Eto'o interview for BEIN Sports in 2014 states that he wasn't really even in charge of the dressing room. Now that's something I don't want to believe.
[youtube]YwmdqUu0uaQ[/youtube]

khaled_a_d

You are right about Rustu sucking big time in Barca. And you also right about Victor Valdes stepping up to cover the Turks mistakes, earning a starter place as goalkeeper for Barcelona. But YOU ARE WRONG on one thing - it was not Frank Rijkaard, mate. It was Louis Van Gaal who gave Victor the chance to earn his spot. Later Van Gaal got sacked, I think sometime in the spring of 2003, after which Radomir Antic took control of the team, balancing the team to a marvelous 6th place finish. And Rustu was sold or loaned back to Fenerbahce right at the start of Laporta reign.

Signing Larsson, Ezquerro and Henry proved that he was not pleased with the quality available at Barcelona B at the time. Larsson was a short-term gain, Ezquerro was total crap, Henry never really made impact until Pep came along. Bojan never made it big, he had potential though. I love Rijkaard for introducing Iniesta and Oleguer to the squad, but they both were not much convincing in the Rijkaard era. Oleguer had a good season and was instrumental in our Champions League run in 2005-06. But that was the beginning of his decline. And of course we have to be grateful for the introduction of Messi, who spent many months on the injured list.

Rijkaard was good coach, the right one at the time, being a protege of Cruyff (who had great relationship with Laporta), but Frank wasn't a great coach. He owes big part of his legacy to the individual brilliance of non-La Masia players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Ludovic Guily, Deco etc. Maybe you remember that for some time in 2004/05 we played without strikers, Kluivert and Saviola injured, it was crazy. Eto'o interview for BEIN Sports in 2014 states that he wasn't really even in charge of the dressing room. Now that's something I don't want to believe.
[youtube]YwmdqUu0uaQ[/youtube]

Piece of honest advice:Google b4 you post
1-Rustu was signed/agreed to sign days before we appointed Rijkaard, he was one of 3 Laporta promises during election Beckham,Rustu and one of Koeman & Hiddink,
Valdes made his debut in 02/03 but wasn't considered trusted enough to be Barca starting GK,that is why Rustu was considered important deal,the GK that wil end Barca misery at the position,only Rijkaard had another opinion and put faith in VV from day one and never looked back.
2-Henry didn't make impact? Henry was our top scorer in the whole season mate under Rijkaard. and since 2006 Txiki made it clear that signings are made by him not by Rijkaard anyway.
3-Kluivert and Saviola wasn't playing here in 04/05 and if you mean season b4 then I would simply tell you I don't care,we were already counting enough on La Masia, Coaches won't promote players based on need, only delusional fan would believe so. It is always based on quality,need would ease things at best, but Barca B didn't have single quality striker when we signed Larsson,in a team that was trying to win the league and just moved two strikers. Pep himself put his best DM as CB rather than promoting one in his last season.
4-I won't argue abuut Rijkaard quality (whom I believe we own him much btw) and I won't argue your opinion about some of our players during his time (like Iniesta who was winning votings as our best player in Rijkaard last season) but those are all mute point to the discussion, if those weren't good like Bojan and Dos Santos then the fact remains that Rijkaard didn't take it slowly with Barca B. As you didn't add a single thing to prove such discussion.

Again you are blaming him for not promoting Pedro & Busquets who were starting their career in Barca B in his last year? Pep himself didn't trust Pedro until 09/10. Then you are talking about quality of the players he has promoted,well Pep has promoted Jeffren,Tello & Cuenca. And before all of that blaming him for Pique & Cesc departure when one of them left before he was appointed, but then again Icardi,Bellerin & Keita Balde all left during Pep era. should we blame him for that?
Because based on this standards every coach we had was slow with La Masia

PS: video isn't working

Last edited:

Windhook

Because based on this standards every coach we had was slow with La Masia

True that.

1) I admit my mistake on Rustu, but Valdes was already part of the first team squad under Van Gaal. I'm proud of my mistake, mainly because I'm talking based on my memories, mate, not Google. ;)

2) Henry was poor, given the wonders he did at Arsenal. He was 29 years old when we signed him. BTW Txiki doing all the bussiness without consulting Rijkaard would just confirm Samuel Eto'o words. I hope that is not true.

3) I am talking about Kluivert and Saviola in 2003/04, Rijkaard's first season at Barcelona. At least Google that. :D

4) I'm not going to argue about the slow and soft approach of Frank any longer, it's my opinion and I respect yours. I agree as you said we owe him a lot for bringing up players like Puyol, Xavi, Valdes, Iniesta, Thiago Motta and Messi. I know he had vision for the future, but his last two season at Barcelona were bad with his non-La Masia players losing discipline and the summer of 2007 was the right time for Rijkaard to risk with more youngsters, but he didn't. All in all I think he lost some of his passion for football and that was evident in his stints at Galatasaray and later.

5) Sorry for the video being N/A. It's really interesting insight on Rijkaard and Guardiola by the eternal hater Eto'o.:lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Tbf, you'll struggle finding a coach Eto'o actually likes. He liked Mourinho, but started hating him too lol

Not to forget how he supposedly staged a coup against not one, but two Cameroon coaches.

Warik

[tw]872437677148262400[/tw]

90% chance of leaving. Monaco is the likeliest.

This one is going to hurt us, I think, even more than any other. Can see us trying to get him back for huge money in 2-3 years.

Trickykid

[tw]872437677148262400[/tw]

90% chance of leaving. Monaco is the likeliest.

This one is going to hurt us, I think, even more than any other. Can see us trying to get him back for huge money in 2-3 years.

I doubt it. More likely he'll end up like Adama and Deulofeu.
Kid got some highlight reel actions for sure, but aside from that there's not a whole lot that I've seen from him, that screams first team material any time soon.

If he's not comfortable taking a year at the B team, well then, good riddance.

Home of Barca Fans