Jordi Alba

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Looks a fantastic buy, even with so little time yet to really integrate into this particular group - despite his La Masia roots...Yes, he had a few lapses but I was so impressed with his speed and forward intent...I think he will give us so much from that left side, not unlike how Alves did similar when he was first brought in by Pep

Ursegor

World Champion
You thought Alba had lapses? Have you seen Alves being all over the place? Making weird backpasses to Puyol. And where was he for the goal? His side was left completely free. Needs to improve massively against Real Madrid. Which he probably will, as badass as he is.

Stric

You thought Alba had lapses? Have you seen Alves being all over the place? Making weird backpasses to Puyol. And where was he for the goal? His side was left completely free. Needs to improve massively against Real Madrid. Which he probably will, as badass as he is.

I agree completely. It's normal to have the tendency to be more critical and pay more attention to the new singing, but truth be told, it wasn't exactly Dani Alves' best game last night. Alba did good. Glad to see him wearing the Barca shirt.

PacoBJuarez

I'll agree with that assessment, but that doesn't excuse the mental mistakes that Alba made with his passing. His tenacity on defense was fantastic, and of course his closing speed is crazy, I just want to see him be a little smarter after he wins the ball. He got really, really lucky a couple times that his bad passes didn't give up a goal.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Alba can't defend.

Because Barca and Spain(senior) always have the ball, this does not get noticed very much. Only in the big games against an attacking winger e.g. DiMaria will he get found out.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He's a starter LB for World and European champions. Granted, they play slightly different tactic but it's basically same players only stronger for Messi.
Alba will do fine, you'll see.

X

xaviniesta

barca/spain have always the ball because they are extremely well organised defensive team. have heard of 6 second rule? '3-1' rule? that you can't defend with the ball as well?? just because they won't slide on their asses like any english defenders doesn't mean they can't defend.

and oh yes, he still have nani in his pocket. that was brilliant individual perfrmance there, but as we know what makes barca so special is the collective defending.

i've always admired how organized they are defensivly. it's w work of art which many people sadly don't understand.

Hatem Ben Arfa

yes I've heard of the 5 second rule.

I still stand by my words. the guy can't defend. He will get found out against a team that gets the ball to their right winger a lot.

Had Nani in his pocket? I certainly don't remember it like that. Besides Nani was just diving for freek kicks that game when he could have carried on with the ball.

And wasn't it Antoine Grizemann that absolutely tore him a new donkey hole last season?

Last edited:
E

estranged

Maybe he will adapt his game when playing against a team that plays on the right wing a lot? I remember him doing a great job defensively in one of the big matches at the Euros. I mean people used to say Dani Alves can't defend, until he started to actually defend in the games he needed to defend. Just because he attacks a lot doesn't mean he can't defend, naive to think like that. What makes a fullback world class is the ability to sense when it's wise to attack and when he should defend.

JackSparrow

I am delighted by his offensive skills..., but I am not sure about his defence yet... I guess Di Maria will give us an answer to that tonight. Hope he does well.

Home of Barca Fans