Jordi Alba

cro-man

I think he is a better defender and attacker than adriano but yes his size could be a problem .. i hope tito will buy a tall cb

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He'll make that left side stronger & weaker all at the same time...But what he adds to make the team stronger is pretty impressive and he hasn't really integrated much at all yet either...I see a lot of really exquisite buildups possible this season but the trident partners to Leo have to pick it up

Ursegor

World Champion
He does something so simple yet so effective our other fullbacks barely do: overlapping runs until the byline! Even Alves, as attack minded as he is, doesn't do it often enough. He rather cuts inside to participate in the passing game. But Alba makes those blitzing byline runs every time he goes forward, offering himself as an outlet, stretching the other team's defense. He offers even more width than Alves by doing so. A fully fit David Villa + Iniesta + Alba on the left will be immense. IMMENSE.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
He does something so simple yet so effective our other fullbacks barely do: overlapping runs until the byline! Even Alves, as attack minded as he is, doesn't do it often enough. He rather cuts inside to participate in the passing game. But Alba makes those blitzing byline runs every time he goes forward, offering himself as an outlet, stretching the other team's defense. He offers even more width than Alves by doing so. A fully fit David Villa + Iniesta + Alba on the left will be immense. IMMENSE.
Good post. He'll be of great use too against the parked buses.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
Basically a Roberto Carlos?

Stric

Basically a Roberto Carlos?

God, I was so happy to read this comparison. Roberto Carlos is definitely the best left-back of all time as far as I'm concerned, and I'm glad to see someone other than myself draw a connection between him and Alba.

From what I've seen at the Euro, I'm very glad Alba has joined Barcelona. We needed a good left-back desparately. I'll never stop hoping Abidal will make a return, as I am a great fan and think he's a very underrated player, but in the meantime, Alba will bring something new, good and different to the table. Or should I say, to the left flank!

Oh, by the way, new guy here. Hello everybody! :)

Meitux

God, I was so happy to read this comparison. Roberto Carlos is definitely the best left-back of all time as far as I'm concerned, and I'm glad to see someone other than myself draw a connection between him and Alba.

From what I've seen at the Euro, I'm very glad Alba has joined Barcelona. We needed a good left-back desparately. I'll never stop hoping Abidal will make a return, as I am a great fan and think he's a very underrated player, but in the meantime, Alba will bring something new, good and different to the table. Or should I say, to the left flank!

Oh, by the way, new guy here. Hello everybody! :)
abidal is a kind of thuram of left back and also good at center back too, most people dont see it but he is more important than he looks but alba is tottaly different

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Roberto Carlos the best left back ever? I've always been a fan of his but he doesn't come close to Maldini

Stric

abidal is a kind of thuram of left back and also good at center back too, most people dont see it but he is more important than he looks but alba is tottaly different

I agree. They are indeed very different. I see Abidal as a the type of player who could alternate between centre-back and left-back, while Alba would alternate between left-back and upwards. He's more of a wingback. In fact, I think I read somewhere he used to play as a winger. He was still defined as a left midfielder not long ago. Anyway, yes, they're completely different, having the balance between Abidal and Alves was a great part of Barcelona's success, but I do think that this new attacking threat on the left flank can bring a new type of dynamics into the game, without much risk. As long as the CB's and the DM stay on their toes.

Having said this, Sergio Ramos comes to mind as the only example (at the moment) of a player who seems to combine all of these characteristics.

Stric

Roberto Carlos the best left back ever? I've always been a fan of his but he doesn't come close to Maldini

You might be right as far as I know, I probably know less about football than most guys here, but I did say it was just my opinion. :) I've been mesmerized with this man's playing since I was a kid, so I'm definitely biased. :)

Home of Barca Fans