Jordi Alba

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
How many without penalties?
Also, only Bilbao scored more headers than us.

I don't remember Abidal was good in the air either. In the end, why change the successful system just because team isn't tall?

Galning

Also: Barca>Spain.
I don't get the height obsession. It's not basketball, you know.

This. I can't remember who said it but the quote that a lot of Barça players wouldn't have made it in other youth set-ups because they were too small. I think it was Pep.. not sure though.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
This. I can't remember who said it but the quote that a lot of Barça players wouldn't have made it in other youth set-ups because they were too small. I think it was Pep.. not sure though.

Some former coach said similar thing about Pep. They said he was too thin or fragile!

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The size issue comes into play against the bigger forwards who can use their size to bully on or off the ball as well as the advantage in dead ball situations

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It sure does. But we attack 70 percent of the time. So you have to weigh pros and cons.
I don't think it's worth getting someone who is bigger but a worse fit just to address a particle of a problem.

B

barcelonista

Has nothing to do with the topic though. Technicality comes before physical attributes but that doesn't necessarily apply for defenders and mean that height is completely irrelevant and you can play 3 midgets at the back. We sold Alba because he was too small in the first place.

Trickykid

Has nothing to do with the topic though. Technicality comes before physical attributes but that doesn't necessarily apply for defenders and mean that height is completely irrelevant and you can play 3 midgets at the back. We sold Alba because he was too small in the first place.

And bought the giant Dani. Clearly times have changed since Alba was offloaded. Or - more likely perhaps - he has developed into a better player than the club thought he would.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Even if that happened it was wrong. We got Messi the treatment for hormone deficiency ffs!
Also, noone said the height is completely irrelevant. You said that.
And since you like the word "midget"... Masch is a midget too, you know? Don't know many who would stand a chance against him though. :)

B

barcelonista

And bought the giant Dani. Clearly times have changed since Alba was offloaded. Or - more likely perhaps - he has developed into a better player than the club thought he would.

Dani fits in very well when being partnered with Abidal, Pique and Puyol. At the time we bought him, we also had Marquez and Yaya. Alba doesn't when being partnered with Mascherano and Alves. When we conceded at Stamford Bridge this season, a simple diagonal ball exploited the space behind Alves. Now imagine not having 1 but 2 wingbacks.

Trickykid

Dani fits in very well when being partnered with Abidal, Pique and Puyol. At the time we bought him, we also had Marquez and Yaya. Alba doesn't when being partnered with Mascherano and Alves. When we conceded at Stamford Bridge this season, a simple diagonal ball exploited the space behind Alves. Now imagine not having 1 but 2 wingbacks.

Hey, you misunderstand. As I've already stated some days ago, I'm not a big fan of the Alba deal. Like you I just don't see him playing along side Dani.
I just don't see how the club offloading him supposedly because he was too small back then, is relevant for him being an option now, 7 years or so later.

B

barcelonista

We got Messi the treatment for hormone deficiency ffs!

Again, this has nothing to do with the topic. A Barcelona forward doesn't need height. We attack with the ball on the deck, not in the air. Apart from that Messi was obviously too big a talent. Alba is not Baresi so we can just overlook his height as a freaking defender. Especially not when the other players at the back aren't much taller than him. 1 small defender can be accommodated. Not 3 (Alba, Mascherano, Alves).

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It sure does. But we attack 70 percent of the time. So you have to weigh pros and cons.
I don't think it's worth getting someone who is bigger but a worse fit just to address a particle of a problem.

No I agree, I'm merely addressing the question about height...Although an argument can be made that this is both a step back and a step forward...On balance, will it be more positive or negative?...I think it's a low risk move that can pay big dividends

B

barcelonista

I just don't see how the club offloading him supposedly because he was too small back then, is relevant for him being an option now, 7 years or so later.

That was an answer to Galning saying "a lot of Barça players wouldn't have made it in other youth set-ups because they were too small". Because it's obviously only partly true since we sold Alba because of exactly that: his height. You always need some steel and height at the back!

Trickykid

That was an answer to Galning saying "a lot of Barça players wouldn't have made it in other youth set-ups because they were too small". Because it's obviously only partly true since we sold Alba because of exactly that: his height. You always need some steel and height at the back!

Ah, I see.

E

estranged

People are being myopic if they are dismissing the Alba signing simply because he's short. Also why is everybody promoting this theory that he's a shit defender? At arca his duties will differ than what he was responsible for at Valencia, and who knows maybe he can become a better defender. Abidal 07-09 was certainly nowhere as good as Abidal 09-11 defensively, or as a footballer in general, so its unfair to assume that Alba won't succeed, this coming from somebody who loves Abidal, doesn't really like Alba and doesn't really understand this signing, but also hates presumptuous people and assumptions. Even if he can't defend, a good CB signing and a more experienced Mascherano+in form Pique will definitely help out.

Home of Barca Fans