John Stones

Zincubus

Banned
You mean Pique plays in his forties? :amazed:

Well he's only 29 and he will probably play another 10 years for us I'd guess ...

Man City rested John Stones tonight after ten successive wins with him as a starting CB - guess what ?

They let in three goals against bladdy Celtic and drew with them at the same time they handed the initiative to us - we murdered 7:0 Celtic 7:0 last week ....

Caius

Is not so difficult to be a defender as good as Pique and Boateng. I mean despite i'm Barca fan i always consideerd Pique very overrated. In pure defensive skill he is nothing of special. Puyol and 70% of possession did look him better than what he is and once he had missed this, has been shit most of the time. Boateng the same he is a pachyderm with the agility of a truck, he is nothing special in marking and in one vs one.
These are typical defenders of Guardiola, but as pure defender a guy like Pepe is much better than both, without citing Thiago Silva who is just in another world, although it has chose the wrong team (could have done a better career).

That said I think Varane and Marquinhos are the best prospects in the role. Varane has all bad luck in the ability to read the game sometimes and Marquinhos is simple amazing for his age,
maybe he should do some muscles, but i always been impressed by him, he remind me Puyol and Silva, much more impressed by him that by the so much hyped Jerom Boateng.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Is not so difficult to be a defender as good as Pique and Boateng. I mean despite i'm Barca fan i always consideerd Pique very overrated. In pure defensive skill he is nothing of special. Puyol and 70% of possession did look him better than what he is and once he had missed this, has been shit most of the time. Boateng the same he is a pachyderm with the agility of a truck, he is nothing special in marking and in one vs one.
These are typical defenders of Guardiola, but as pure defender a guy like Pepe is much better than both, without citing Thiago Silva who is just in another world, although it has chose the wrong team (could have done a better career).

That said I think Varane and Marquinhos are the best prospects in the role. Varane has all bad luck in the ability to read the game sometimes and Marquinhos is simple amazing for his age,
maybe he should do some muscles, but i always been impressed by him, he remind me Puyol and Silva, much more impressed by him that by the so much hyped Jerom Boateng.

You do however think Cancelo is the perfect RB for Barca, the guy who can't defend even if his life depended on it. Since you seem to rate pure defending so high, how did you ignore Cancelo's obvious shortcomings there :thinking:

Or are you just backing your Portuguese compatriot for the sake of it like with Pepe here :thinking:

Falcao

All over the place tonight. Defensively he isn't developing and the overhyping from the press doesn't help him at all.

Martindn

All over the place tonight. Defensively he isn't developing and the overhyping from the press doesn't help him at all.

To be fair it is the best attack in the world at the bloody Nou camp.

But still hes always been positionally, defensively dire and because yeah, now hes moved for a big fee its the archetypal overrated overpriced english player world class sensation that gets shown up anytime the opposition is decent. Bailly is twice the defender for almost half the price and also quite good with the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o54znZ9RSHw

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
To be fair it is the best attack in the world at the bloody Nou camp.

But still hes always been positionally, defensively dire and because yeah, now hes moved for a big fee its the archetypal overrated overpriced english player world class sensation that gets shown up anytime the opposition is decent. Bailly is twice the defender for almost half the price and also quite good with the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o54znZ9RSHw

Exactly. BUT, You can face this attack and still come out with an impressive performance. Bailly had one or two of those and Laporte as well(although he for some reason is rated lower than Stones around here).

Some of the things Stones does is just baffling. Like, what the fuck did he do on Messi's third goal? That's just amateurish. What is he good for? His passing?

Pique, Hummels, Boateng and others who are highly rated because of their passing ability are great defenders too. Stones' basic defending skills seems incredibly mediocre and that's something you don't want irrespective of whether you're 20 or 35. You need to at least have those basic skills to develop further as a defender.

If he's going to become something then he sure as hell got a lot of work to put in. A lot was blamed on Everton and Martinez, but now he's moved to a better club and it's time to show what you're good for.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
He's been good to us haha!

The classic overhyped PL player, the british Maldini :D

xXKonan

He's good on the ball which is great but when it comes to defending he's abysmal.

It's pretty troubling for his age that his basic defending skills are Mediocre when you compare it to guys like Bailly,Umtiti(Year older) Marquinhos, etc who are around his age and are much better in that regard.

I mean he's 22 and has plenty of time to Develop. His overall level today was just shocking really.

xavisionary

Thankless task trying to keep the best attacking trio in the world quiet. Stones will probably take it on the chin and just have enjoyed the experience.

Adversus

He was having a decent game up to when he missed the header. It's seems he has a fragile mindset.

At Everton when things went wrong they just went from bad to worse until he was withdrawn.

Luckily for him City don't need to do nearly as much defending so he will probably be able to play through it.

Home of Barca Fans