João Laporta

iniestaGOAT

Yes it happened again. I think we just have to bite the bullet and acknowledge that Madrid has slighter bigger pull and much bigger resources than us, it is time to recognize that. Vinicius and Rodrygo were well ahead of our financial downfall, I think we couldn't compete with them on Endrick on multiple fronts, money being one of them since we had already been well in the financial rut at that time. Also, once again, Madrid is Madrid after all, winning CLs from left to right, of course they were more appealing to players.

Laporta is Laporta and he will not change. I just hope he won't hinder our efforts next time because of his urge to make himself appear important and being in control of everything again.

Who cares we lost out on a young player with potential who could help us 3-5 years later.

Porspects come and go. There will be 100s more.

We got the big one we needed to help us this season.

Gundogan.

malvolio

It's not like Haaland was the answer for us anyway. Our most successful strikers have always been mobile and very good on a technical level - Romario, Ronaldo, Eto'o, Villa, Suarez

BJJ

FC Barcelona

Joan Laporta interview:​

Looks like Laporta is satisfied with only being competitive in la liga. Ducked and dived when asked about Europe.

See below:

On your mental roadmap, where do you see Barça at the moment?

The main objective was to bring joy back to Barça and win titles. We are starting to win. The attendance levels are reaching historic records. We are on the right track because we had set out to save the club financially and institutionally to make it competitive on a sporting level. Not only in football. And the six leagues in the (other) professional sections show we are working well and we are on the right track. But we want more, and next season we are more ambitious.

Even though you're going to Montjuïc?

It won't be easy. It will be uncomfortable, but I think Barça fans understand that it is a phase that we must go through if we want to realise the dream of having a new stadium, in an environment like the Espai Barça and with a new Palau. It is a sacrifice and I apologise for the inconvenience, but on a sporting level we want to be dominant in the Spanish league and we must be more competitive in the Champions League.

The great challenge.

We have overcome important obstacles to participate in this Champions League and that is an incentive for us to win it. Xavi said that it wasn't until he won the first title that he was aware of it. It changes the players' mentality and they want more. Winning La Liga will help us to be ambitious.

Against a Real Madrid side that has signed Bellingham and can sign Mbappé.

We have a very competitive team and we have won La Liga. I focus on building a team and not on signing individual players. We have signed Gündogan and Iñigo Martínez and they will give us strong performance, as will those who are coming. We have some requests from the coach and we are trying to manage them. We are also short of a right-back. I don't look at the opposition because at the moment we have a better team and, individually, also with a level of difference compared to our rivals. As a club member and as a fan I am satisfied with the team we are building. This is about the team and not about the players.

That was seen with Leo Messi.

It is the hardest and most difficult moment I have lived through, but I have the peace of mind that I had to do it. It is the saddest decision I have ever made.
If he had waited, would he have come back?
We had the go-ahead from LaLiga. There was a space earmarked for Leo's return. We had talked about it with the player and his father, but when Jorge told me the decision that he was going to Inter Miami and gave me the reasons, I understood, we understand, we accept and we respect it.

Let me insist, the big challenge this season is Europe?
To continue to be dominant in La Liga and to be more competitive in Europe. In football there is only one winner and we cannot think that we are the only ones playing. La Liga is still a priority and depending on how we end up strengthening the team, we will have more chances of doing very well and winning it. I think we already have a team, but I think that if we strengthen our squad a bit more, we can be one of the candidates.

In other words, there will be more signings.

We have signed Iñigo Martínez, Gündogan, we have kept important players. We have a very solid defence, with a very reliable goalkeeper, one of the best in the world, a midfield in which, after Gündogan, there will be one or two more midfielders added. That's what the coach wants. And up front, with what we have and Vitor Roque, who we'll see when he ends up coming.

Whatever it takes to return to the European elite.
That's what you say. In Europe we continue to be a reference point as a club and with a very important weight.

But from a sporting point of view?
Being competitive in the Spanish league already makes us competitive. In Europe we've had circumstances that haven't allowed us to get past the group stage. Do you know how it shows? With players like Gündogan. If we weren't a reference point, these players wouldn't come. Even if one year we have not been able to participate in Europe as we would have liked, we are still a team of reference because the great players still want to come. You can't just confine it to the league.

Don't get angry...

Barça is a world reference point. And we are very lucky that you talk to most of the players about Barça and they want to come. You will understand that this is a very important thing for a club like Barça and for those of us whose job it is to build a competitive team.

I was referring to the fact that you are inheriting a club that has struggled to win in Europe and has suffered very painful defeats. Isn't there still a little bit left to adjust?
It's obvious, but the thermometer is that players wanted to leave and now players want to come back. For me this means that we still have that attraction.... We are competitive or potentially competitive, not only in LaLiga, but also in Europe.

Messi983

He's right. La Liga is always priority. But as Messi said when we won it in 2019 fans always took La Liga for granted after dominating the league over last 10-15 years. But it's not that simple.

And there is another thing. Barca has never won a CL by luck (like Chelsea who finished 5th in EPL). We were always the best team in Europe when we won it. Laporta knows that and he's also realistic enough to know we're not there yet.

Last edited:

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

After they are done building a statue of Messi outside the New Camp Nou, they need to build one of Don Laporta with his stomach bursting out of his shirt. Put it right next to Leo's statue.

What a beautiful fucking site that would be to behold. :laporta3::messi:

Messi983

Should use this as a foundation for a statue.

EXwpYHqXsAA9_Nd.jpg

BJJ

He's right. La Liga is always priority. But as Messi said when we won it in 2019 fans always took La Liga for granted after dominating the league over last 10-15 years. But it's not that simple.

And there is another thing. Barca has never won a CL by luck (like Chelsea who finished 5th in EPL). We were always the best team in Europe when we won it. Laporta knows that and he's also realistic enough to know we're not there yet.
So I guess CL is Real Madrid's priority cause they've won it so many times?
For how long are we supposed to remain the joke of Europe?
With Laporta and Xavi at the helm I can see us continue to be a joke in Europe.

Home of Barca Fans