Jeremy Mathieu

God Serena

If we had Mathieu against Real Madrid he'd have probably had another shocker considering he's been injured since basically April/May and hasn't had a good appearance in the little time he was able to play since then.

Overall I'd consider him to be a flop. His good performances have higher value than Bartra's did but he was hardly more valuable to the team, imo. And despite the fact that anyone with a brain (Read: Not Lucho) could tell he was an awful LB, his vast amount of LB experience undoubtedly played a large part in him signing for us, as we didn't really have a good backup for Alba, and he's costed us at LB far more than he's helped us at CB.

God Serena

Nah, flops are players like Song, Vermaelen, Chygrinsky,... not Mathieu who has given us two good seasons.

Players like Song, Vermaelen, etc. can't be considered flops when they were expected to fail from the very beginning. Like who in their right mind actually expected anything from Vermaelen or Song (Who Tito admitted was signed to help cover for CB :lol:)

But a player who was brought in to help our defense for a specific role that he had experience in can be considered a flop when he spends such a significant amount of his playing time royally fucking us over by being so incredibly bad.

Ahmedd

Players like Song, Vermaelen, etc. can't be considered flops when they were expected to fail from the very beginning.

Mathieu wasn't even called to play with France's NT back then.. Did you really expect him to be the next Puyol ? I'm actually impressed whith what he did (as a CB). The problem is that people overrated him, but as a french i knew what he was capable of.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Actually, Mathieu was called to flop as much as Song or Verm, mostly because of his age... However, I believe he didn't flop and provided just what the club expected of him, we knew he came here as a squad player and that's exactly what he did...

A few atrocious displays as LB aside, he was mostly adequate as CB and overall his performances were more positive than negative...

BarçaBarça

Could he be sold to China this summer? 20 M.? :lol:

He has definitely not been a flop, I don't understand how anyone can say that - he has mostly been bad when played out of position - that is not is fault, but the sporting directors. And when he has played CB, he has been a key backup, so of course not a flop.

vlad

at the end, he was solid, he scored some important goals, in el classico and vs celta winning goal i think, about defending, he had good performance as CB, at LB not so, but overall i dont consider him as a flop transfer.

Home of Barca Fans