Jeremy Mathieu

xXKonan

According to Francesc Aguilar their will be a meeting to discuss several players futures and one of them included Mathieu.

They will talk about Marlon and with the possibility of signing another CB like Dayot Upamecano, leads me to believe that Mathieu talk is about phasing him out.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Would be nice if the guy gets a last big paycheck from China or the MLS. Doesn't matter if we receive a transfer fee. Would be symbolic at best anyway.

He's had some irregular performances with us, but some of them were vital ones and the talk of him being a flop is unwarranted unless people expect all players to be absolute World Class. And not really his fault he's been played at LB where most of his bad performances came from.

Would have probably been able to play more and been a 4th choice CB for another season had it not been for his injury. He's among the lowest earners in the squad, remember that. He went down in salary to join the club.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I don't think he's going anywhere tbh as long as Lucho is here and that's fine.

Lucho shouldn't even think about playing him as a LB anymore though. With his age and increasing injuries, playing him at LB would only lead to more injuries to him. If we are stuck in a situation where both Alba and Digne are out injured/suspended I would rather play Umtiti there at LB than Mathieu.

He's fine as a CB option when needed just no more LB.

khaled_a_d

I don't think he's going anywhere tbh as long as Lucho is here and that's fine.

Lucho shouldn't even think about playing him as a LB anymore though. With his age and increasing injuries, playing him at LB would only lead to more injuries to him. If we are stuck in a situation where both Alba and Digne are out injured/suspended I would rather play Umtiti there at LB than Mathieu.

He's fine as a CB option when needed just no more LB.

Don't know,I think he is on his way out next summer,the club is on clear youth movement and Mathieu doesn't seem to fit future plan and I think he himself might prefer bigger role elsewhere.

Would be nice if the guy gets a last big paycheck from China or the MLS. Doesn't matter if we receive a transfer fee. Would be symbolic at best anyway.

He's had some irregular performances with us, but some of them were vital ones and the talk of him being a flop is unwarranted unless people expect all players to be absolute World Class. And not really his fault he's been played at LB where most of his bad performances came from.

Would have probably been able to play more and been a 4th choice CB for another season had it not been for his injury. He's among the lowest earners in the squad, remember that. He went down in salary to join the club.

+1

Altomonte

Mathieu did ok as CB and his height and speed were positive factors. Would Sergio Ramos have scored with Mathieu in the defense? He did not have La Masia like ball control but was a valuable team member. I'd like to see Clasico stats with / without Mathieu playing CB.

Last edited:

gasgas

Mathieu did ok as CB and his height and speed were positive factors. Would Sergio Ramos have scored with Mathieu in the defense? He did not have La Masia like ball control but was a valuable team member. I'd like to see Clasico stats with / without Mathieu playing CB.
Pepe had no problem scoring a freeheader over him and Pique in his first classico.

Now imagine what Ramos could do

xXKonan

Pepe had no problem scoring a freeheader over him and Pique in his first classico.

Now imagine what Ramos could do
Well we actually won two classico's with Mathieu and Pique as our CB pairing.

The 2015 home match during the treble season him and Pique kept were some of the biggest reasons why we kept from conceding another goal and we won the match. and the 0-4 Demolition at the Bernabeu he replaced a injured Masche during the first half and helped keep a Clean sheet.

Mathieu gets a lot of stick by Barca fans but no question he helped played a big role in winning the treble and the Double.

Edit: and he scored the opening goal during the Camp Nou Classico during the treble season.

gasgas

Well we actually won two classico's with Mathieu and Pique as our CB pairing.

The 2015 home match during the treble season him and Pique kept were some of the biggest reasons why we kept from conceding another goal and we won the match. and the 0-4 Demolition at the Bernabeu he replaced a injured Masche during the first half and helped keep a Clean sheet.

Mathieu gets a lot of stick by Barca fans but no question he helped played a big role in winning the treble and the Double.

Edit: and he scored the opening goal during the Camp Nou Classico during the treble season.

I don't care how well he defended

I was simply replying to the point "would have Ramos scored with Mathieu in"

And i said, if Pepe can why can't Ramos

Ramos doesn't score bcs Mathie is not on

xXKonan

I don't care how well he defended

I was simply replying to the point "would have Ramos scored with Mathieu in"

And i said, if Pepe can why can't Ramos

Ramos doesn't score bcs Mathie is not on
Hilarious thing about Ramos is He failed to mark Mathieu when he scored the header.

:lol:

Last edited:

gasgas

Hilarious thing about Ramos is He failed to mark Mathieu when he scored the header.

:lol:

I don't care about that

We are not talking about Mathieu's offensive header, or Ramos' marking in defensive situation

But rather Mathieu's defensive header and whether his absence is the cause for Ramos header goal.

keep up

xXKonan

I don't care about that

We are not talking about Mathieu's offensive header, or Ramos' marking in defensive situation

But rather Mathieu's defensive header and whether his absence is the cause for Ramos header goal.

keep up
I would say the lack of height during the classico from Mascherano played a role, Not his fault though but it was more than just height however as the setup was dreadful and why was Mascherano left alone to mark Ramos? That's just suicide.

Perhaps one of Lucho's mistakes during that game was not subbing on Umtiti since Mathieu had been injured. it would've helped since Sam is good in the air as well.

gasgas

I would say the lack of height during the classico from Mascherano played a role, Not his fault though but it was more than just height however as the setup was dreadful and why was Mascherano left alone to mark Ramos? That's just suicide.

Perhaps one of Lucho's mistakes during that game was not subbing on Umtiti since Mathieu had been injured. it would've helped since Sam is good in the air as well.

The issue of height would be relevant if Mascherano was outjumped

But Ramos was not marked by anyone. Actualy Mascherano had three players around him to mark and all three were in position for a free header

it is a matter of marking strategy

Height isn't guarantee of not conceding setpieces as evidence by Pepe's goal when we had both Mathieu, Pique on

Home of Barca Fans