Ivan Rakitić

serghei

Valdes' highs includes important saves in two CLs and and 6 league titles.

Sure he might have lost us a Copa del Rey, but give me two CLs over that any day.

Greatest GK in club history.

If you believe two league titles are better than that then you're free to believe that. Remember. Two league titles. The other GK was standing in goal for the other major trophies.

I was talking about ability, not career. Valdes obviously has a much better Barca career than Bravo. But ability-wise, it's pretty close. Bravo captained Chile to 2 Copa America wins, so his NT career is much better than Valdes'.

I'd say they're close in ability, with Valdes having a longer and better career overall.

God Serena

Why are you so obsessed with Bravo at City? When he defended this shirt he was among top goalkeepers in the world end of story.
If you find solace in Bravo's poor performances in fucking Shitty I got news for you: It won't change the fact Stegen is a very poor goalkeeper for FC Barcelona.

I'm obsessed with the constant obsession people seem to have with knocking Mats by comparing him to a keeper who pitched a fit and left suddenly because he couldn't have his way. When both were here, both were very good. When Bravo is at City and Mats is still here, both are quite bad. You can call me obsessed all you like, but the Iker effect is obvious in both keepers, and it's unfair to compare Bravo playing like his position was on the line every week (It was, somewhat), to Mats when he's not.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I was talking about ability, not career. Valdes obviously has a much better Barca career than Bravo. But ability-wise, it's pretty close. Bravo captained Chile to 2 Copa America wins, so his NT career is much better than Valdes'.

I'd say they're close in ability, with Valdes having a longer and better career overall.

Bravo's peak in his ability lasted from 2014 to 2016.

Valdes did that for several years and is still performing at a high level. If you're going to compare their ability then you got to take longevity into account. And he had another great GK in Casillas ahead of him in the Spanish NT, who also played for Real Madrid.

You can have a freak two year, but you can't have that for more than five years. Valdes' has done that for a long time.

Which is why Messi is so special. There have been players who have been freakish ability wise for a year or two. Or even three years. Messi has been doing that for more than 10 years.

I hold longevity in a high regard.

Performing at a very high level for a long time is freakish. Which is why Buffon is the Greatest GK of All-Time for me. He's almost 40, but is still doing it. Some would argue Neuer had a better peak. But who cares? Let Neuer do that until he's 36 and then we'll compare them.

Just my line of thought.

At Bravo's peak though, I agree. He was as good as Valdes. Perhaps even better. But two years is not enough for me.

Last edited:

serghei

Bravo's peak in his ability lasted from 2014 to 2016.

Valdes did that for several years and is still performing at a high level. If you're going to compare their ability then you got to take longevity into account. And he had another great GK in Casillas ahead of him in the Spanish NT, who also played for Real Madrid.

You can have a freak two year, but you can't have that for more than five years. Valdes' has done that for a long time.

Which is why Messi is so special. There have been players who have been freakish ability wise for a year or two. Or even three years. Messi has been doing that for more than 10 years.

I hold longevity in a high regard.

I hold longevity in a high regard as well. But Valdes had some circumstances that Bravo didn't have (and viceversa). Estimating ability for me, is seeing behind those variables and try to determine the ability and talent of each player. Bravo and Valdes have similar abilities to me. If Bravo would've been catalan and played for Barca and Barca would've trusted him in spite of his mistakes in the early years, maybe we would see their careers reversed. It's strictly subjective I know, but honestly, I don't see much difference between their abilities. Even the mistakes they make are similar.

The only objective thing to say about Bravo and Valdes is that Valdes has a much better club career and Bravo has a much better national team career. Outside of that we can speculate.

Last edited:

Total-Football

10 MINUTES and he proved he's light years ahead of the rest of our pseudo midfielders ( rafinha arda denis ) i suspect benching him is due to some personal stuff

Raketa10

He is really light years ahead of Denis, Gomes and Rafinha! You have to be an idiot to bench him for those three!

Home of Barca Fans