Ibrahim Afellay

Aasim

Bumbleman
If Cesc is coming, why do we need him? Plus we have thiago/JDS..

Would be another Hleb signing - pointless.

Trequartista

The good
We rushed Bojan too much and we all saw what happened with him, he never truly stepped up. I'd say Afellay is a good option as i'm not too keen on getting Pastore and Cesc as neither would be content with less minutes, whilst I can definitely see Afellay being willing to play a similar squad role to Keita. Plus he is capable of playing on the flanks as well which will be a nice option to have to puto n the right or left side of our attack should we need it.

Warik,Bojan's situation is completely different to Thiago who has been playing for sth like 3 years with the B team,we also have many players in midfield so rughing him is the last thing to expect,we will sign an attacker,which means that Iniesta will play more in midfield,despite being a fan of Iniesta on the wing,we have to admit that he is unstoppable next to Xavi,there is also Keita,Busquets so we wont rush him,in Bojan's case we completely promoted him being 17,gave him the number nine being 20 and he is our first back up for Pedro,Villa,Messi,Afellay will be cheap so it may not be a big Problem but he will block Thiago for sure,I am sure that he will be one of the best squad signings in the last year but blocking Thiago maybe a decision we will regret oneday.

Warik

Because there is no guarantee that we are getting Cesc?

Warik,Bojan's situation is completely different to Thiago who has been playing for sth like 3 years with the B team,we also have many players in midfield so rughing him is the last thing to expect,we will sign an attacker,which means that Iniesta will play more in midfield,despite being a fan of Iniesta on the wing,we have to admit that he is unstoppable next to Xavi,there is also Keita,Busquets so we wont rush him,in Bojan's case we completely promoted him being 17,gave him the number nine being 20 and he is our first back up for Pedro,Villa,Messi,Afellay will be cheap so it may not be a big Problem but he will block Thiago for sure,I am sure that he will be one of the best squad signings in the last year but blocking Thiago maybe a decision we will regret oneday.

The point you have missed is that putting teenagers in our first team has been the exception not the rule. We've always preferred down the years to wait till players are at least 20 before making them regular first team players. Bit part performances before then, rarely first team starters in every game. Xavi was 21, Iniesta was 21, Busquets 20, Pedro 22, all succeeded. Messi 17, Bojan 17 and Giovani 18, only one succeeded. Rushing people in is a mental thing more than physical. People go through a lot of mental shit in their late teens which can determine whether they make it or not.

Xavi is struggling with an injury that means he can no longer play every game for us. Without Xavi we struggle, thats pretty much established. There is no way that Thiago at 19 years old can be expected to play a pivotal role in our team such as Xavi's. Its too much responsibility to put on him. Better if Iniesta plays that role, and Iniesta plays that role we need someone who can play Iniestas role. Xavi and Keita are both 30 now, so coming towards the end. We could sign Cesc, but Cesc has injury problems of his own that are persistant. I doubt Thiago will be blocked. If you look at when Pedro hit the first team and baring in mind Thiago's birth date (April) he has two years before he has to start worrying about not making it. Two years after which Keita and Xavi will both be 32.If we sign Afellay and then sign Cesc, then Thiago can worry, but right now with just Afellay, or just Cesc, no worries for Thiago.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

We passed on an opportunity already citing the same reason. Ozil should strike the bells. Don't think the club would want to appear foolish once more

The point you have missed is that putting teenagers in our first team has been the exception not the rule. We've always preferred down the years to wait till players are at least 20 before making them regular first team players. Bit part performances before then, rarely first team starters in every game. Xavi was 21, Iniesta was 21, Busquets 20, Pedro 22, all succeeded. Messi 17, Bojan 17 and Giovani 18, only one succeeded. Rushing people in is a mental thing more than physical. People go through a lot of mental shit in their late teens which can determine whether they make it or not.

Xavi is struggling with an injury that means he can no longer play every game for us. Without Xavi we struggle, thats pretty much established. There is no way that Thiago at 19 years old can be expected to play a pivotal role in our team such as Xavi's. Its too much responsibility to put on him. Better if Iniesta plays that role, and Iniesta plays that role we need someone who can play Iniestas role. Xavi and Keita are both 30 now, so coming towards the end. We could sign Cesc, but Cesc has injury problems of his own that are persistant. I doubt Thiago will be blocked. If you look at when Pedro hit the first team and baring in mind Thiago's birth date (April) he has two years before he has to start worrying about not making it. Two years after which Keita and Xavi will both be 32.If we sign Afellay and then sign Cesc, then Thiago can worry, but right now with just Afellay, or just Cesc, no worries for Thiago.

this

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I don't quite understand all the reasoning behind not giving Afellay a shot, if indeed, he's believed a good target...He's cheap and if it doesn't work out, he isn't going to require some great financial loss to move him

Isn't this the same logic perhaps that saw Pep et al disregard Özil

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
Afellay HAS actually grown the last year/half year. He is really doing well with the National Team too and is able to keep up very well with the high level star players like Sneijder, Van der Vaart and Robben play, and in his current form he is starting 11 material for Oranje. He is still 24 you know. He can still grow a lot. Playing with world class players really gets the best out of him.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep

That is a very good post...

Actually got me thinking this Afellay thing might not be too bad of an idea...

B

beautifulgame

If Afellay enters Barcelona with a patient and determinant mindset and not with too many expectations then he will do very well.

He is a good footballer.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
PSV Coach & former Barcelona midfielder, Cocu, on Afellay's potential for Barca:

"Yes, I think so. Yes, yes, yes. He is technically a very good player and is a player that uses both feet well," Cocu told Sport.

"He can play different positions. In the Dutch team also he's used in different positions, sometimes on the left wing or right, in attack.

And sometimes he plays for
<abbr title="">PSV</abbr> in the No 10, pivot or inside. He is very versatile."

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
THis is from Tribal foorball but yeah,he is coming and this addition looks far better than I thought

Yeah but I double checked with Sport where they have an extended interview, it's accurate...It's a decent read despite being a bit short - the love for Pep is pretty palpable from Cocu

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Xavi is struggling with an injury that means he can no longer play every game for us. Without Xavi we struggle, thats pretty much established. There is no way that Thiago at 19 years old can be expected to play a pivotal role in our team such as Xavi's. Its too much responsibility to put on him. Better if Iniesta plays that role, and Iniesta plays that role we need someone who can play Iniestas role.

this is the crux of the matter, I think.

and to be honest we can always use Afellay as a bargaining chip to get Cesc in the summer if it comes to that.

Trequartista

The good
this is the crux of the matter, I think.

and to be honest we can always use Afellay as a bargaining chip to get Cesc in the summer if it comes to that.

Meta,you still beleive tthat Cesc is coming,I think that now its clear,Finger is not that stupid to be tempted by the idea of bringing Afellay in case of losing Cesc

Warik

Cescs persistant hamstring problems probably put us off really. Bear in mind the cost, 40+ million at least for Cesc and I think Rosell is looking at it in three scenarios:

1) We buy Cesc for 40+ million and give him huge wages. His hamstring problems haven't gone away, he cannot play every game. We've spent all that money on the fee and wages for a player who is in the same situation as Xavi. (Had this problem with Gerard in the past)
2) We buy Pastore for a ridiculous sums and give him high wages (though not as high as Cesc). He flops, cannot get used to the league and we end up selling him for probably less than we paid for him. (The Chyg model)
3) We get Afellay for next to or actually nothing, give him mediocre wages and deploy him as someone who can fill gaps in the midfield and on either wing up front. He might flop, but then we can sell him and any money we get is a profit.

Number 3 just makes most sense baring in mind our current financial state. Plus Afellay i'd say is pretty close to Pastore on current ability levels.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans