I need the truth !!!

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Barcelona has been the capital of Catalunya for many hundreds of years, what are you on about? During the middle ages when Catalunya was an independent kingdom and subsequently after the dynastic union with Aragon Barcelona was home to one of the first parliaments (if not THE first) in Europe.

When I said "Barcelona never was the Capital of Catalunya", I mean, capital of and independent country like the sucession of south states of america.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Actually it was, before the 12th century union with the kingdom of Aragón within which it was the predominant power throughout much of the Kingdom's history until the 1492 union with Castile. Kings of Aragon had to travel to Barcelona to pledge allegiance to the Catalan counts and give their word that they would honour Catalunya's historic rights and laws.

JCCR_FCB

Still you need the truth i dont know but i ll tell you the social reality
Franco was a wanker :lol:

Well, politics aside, the fact is Barça "suffered in the skin" with Franco's regime and with this I don't mean that was "the" reason of the sucess of RM. I think we can talk more about a question of been "marginalized". Like i told before, only the simple fact that it was forced to change is designation (F.C.B. to C.F.B.) is the proof that barça wasn't the club's regime...

MJ BarcaFan

The truth is that Franco was a dictator and Barcelona would not bend to all his wishes, that's why he punished people of Barcelona by not allowing them to speak Catalan (Barcelona's dialect) and by forcing them to use the Castellan Spanish equivalent of FCB. But it cannot be denied that RM benefited alot from Franco's regime and Real Madrid is not called Real Madrid aka Royal Madrid for nothing. Yes, Franco supported Real Madrid and thus RM always had "competitive advantage" (ie fixed matches? fixed winning trophies? including hijacking Barca players to play for RM) during his regime. In other words Franco was that powerful during that time.

barSELOna

Well, politics aside, the fact is Barça "suffered in the skin" with Franco's regime and with this I don't mean that was "the" reason of the sucess of RM. I think we can talk more about a question of been "marginalized". Like i told before, only the simple fact that it was forced to change is designation (F.C.B. to C.F.B.) is the proof that barça wasn't the club's regime...

Then We have to think that Barca success depends Franco and his regime ?
Of course its not absolutely depends on it but if Franco hadnt been Barca could have been like that

JCCR_FCB

Then We have to think that Barca success depends Franco and his regime ?
Of course its not absolutely depends on it but if Franco hadnt been Barca could have been like that

Well, until a certain extent, we can say that the regime ruled the life of Barça...

barSELOna

Well, until a certain extent, we can say that the regime ruled the life of Barça...

Of course mate
Peoples take a fancy to Barca because of the regime but arrival of the players like Cruyff,Kubala powered up us so much and those players attracted attention of the fans

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
The truth is that Franco was a dictator and Barcelona would not bend to all his wishes, that's why he punished people of Barcelona by not allowing them to speak Catalan (Barcelona's dialect) and by forcing them to use the Castellan Spanish equivalent of FCB. But it cannot be denied that RM benefited alot from Franco's regime and Real Madrid is not called Real Madrid aka Royal Madrid for nothing. Yes, Franco supported Real Madrid and thus RM always had "competitive advantage" (ie fixed matches? fixed winning trophies? including hijacking Barca players to play for RM) during his regime. In other words Franco was that powerful during that time.

It was called Real Madrid well before the civil war because along with many other clubs they received royal patronage. When the King abdicated giving way to the pre-war republic the clubs named "real" dropped the title because their was no monarchy only to reassume the titles once Franco had taken power.

Beast

The Observer

Very inaccurate and purely headlines , read more on the subject
If anything Real Madrid suffered more than Barca during the civil war, which makes sense when you consider what was happening in the respective cities. Both clubs were forcibly handed to Franco supporters afterwards, Barcelona was if anything better off in the years just after the civil war (the richest and most powerful club at the time being Atleti, which was run by the air force), however Santiago Bernabeu, a man who fought for the fascists and took part in the invasion of Catalonia, helped build up Real Madrid by transforming into what was basically Spain's club, and Franco used it's success as propaganda.

It's easy and oversimplified to portray Real Madrid as the club of Franco and Barca as the club of the resistance, though not entirely accurate. However I think it's very telling that Real Madrid keeps its stadium named after a fascist. Bernabeu was a brilliant and ambitious man who probably would have attempted to build up the club even without the state's backing, but it's impossible to deny that under Bernabeu the club recieved the state's backing while Barcelona remained under heavy pressure throughout the dictatorship.

Excellent post Nolan and true

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Put your lighter down and step away from the crack pipe.

This is really undeniable, the Franco dictatorship was ultimately much better for Real Madrid than Barca but let's not forget that Madrid was a warzone, and the club became a literal battleground for both the republicans and nationalists. In Barcelona there was only factional infighting until the nationalist invasion and by the time they reached the city the war was ending. The aftermath cost Barcelona tremendously but the club managed to pull off a tour of North America that financially saved them while Real Madrid was basically nonexistant. Do you think there could be a reason that between 1939 and the arrival of di Stefano in 1953 that Real Madrid did not win La Liga, while Barcelona was the most successful club at the time? For evidence of state influence benefitting Real Madrid look at the 50s and 60s, coincidentally the two decades where Franco had the most individual power and Alfredo di Stefano was the best footballer in Europe. The 1960s were also the only post-war decade where Barcelona did not win the league.

Last edited:

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!

Forgot to add MJ, Catalan is not a dialect, it's a language. You need to do some reading buddy.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
readingrainbow.jpg

MJ BarcaFan

Forgot to add MJ, Catalan is not a dialect, it's a language. You need to do some reading buddy.

Whether it's dialect or language, it's really subjective, isn't it? Dialect vs language? really thin line that divides in between. For me, I consider it a dialect bec. it's not spoken widely as compared to say, Spanish or French. I think Catalan is only spoken in Barcelona, Valencia & other parts of Spain.

Beast... sorry but that's in a nutshell for me as far as Franco regime is concerned. I admit I maybe bias as a Barca fan. That's just how I see the whole situation. :wave:

Home of Barca Fans