How to approach the rebuild

Joan

@Messi983

You're basically getting rid of five starters (Messi, Alba, Pique, Busquets and Roberto) while replacements bring little (if any) extra quality.

Depay for Messi?
Gaya for Alba
Wijnaldum for Busquets
Garcia for Pique
Emerson for Roberto

Only Wijnaldum might be a step forward. That's a steep dive down.

That defence though, I hope not. One and a half professional player there. With that one being out likely due to injury.

JamDav1982

@Messi983

You're basically getting rid of five starters (Messi, Alba, Pique, Busquets and Roberto) while replacements bring little (if any) extra quality.

Depay for Messi?
Gaya for Alba
Wijnaldum for Busquets
Garcia for Pique
Emerson for Roberto

Only Wijnaldum might be a step forward. That's a steep dive down.

That defence though, I hope not. One and a half professional player there. With that one being out likely due to injury.

Who is the only half a professional in defence? Also claiming Dest, Aruajo, Garcia etc are utter garbage?

JamDav1982

first off - fullbacks are complete and utter garbage. rather keep roberto and alba at this point.
CBs - rather keep one of pique or umtiti and buy another CB. keep araujo and garcia or lenglet.

also, another thing that i don't understand is getting wijnaldum. we need a CDM to replace busquets. not another player that plays the current position occupied by FDJ.

Wijnaldum has played deeper for Liverpool. They dont have any midfielders playing FDJ role.

Thought you didnt like the FDJ role anyway role as not controlling game the way you want?

malvolio

Who is the only half a professional in defence? Also claiming Dest, Aruajo, Garcia etc are utter garbage?

yes mate. gaya, dest and emerson are utter garbage. a long way from starter material at a big club. araujo not sure if he will cement a starting place, but at least he's different and young.

wijnaldum to play where? we buying CMs to play as CDM now?

fine with FDJ playing a more offensive rakitic role, but would still like a better guy on the ball to be added. also who to replace busquets?

Joan

Gaya is a professional, proven player. Araujo on his way, I trust the kid. But still lacks in segments to be a pillar such inexperienced defense needs.

Dest and Garcia might not be utter garbage, but not on the level needed to pull it off, seems to me.

JamDav1982

yes mate. gaya, dest and emerson are utter garbage. a long way from starter material at a big club. araujo not sure if he will cement a starting place, but at least he's different and young.

wijnaldum to play where? we buying CMs to play as CDM now?

fine with FDJ playing a more offensive rakitic role, but would still like a better guy on the ball to be added. also who to replace busquets?

Wijnaldum doesnt play FDJ role at Liverpool and has played DM there and performed well. Their CMs more about covering for fullbacks and front three than final third.

JamDav1982

Gaya is a professional, proven player. Araujo on his way, I trust the kid. But still lacks in segments to be a pillar such inexperienced defense needs.

Dest and Garcia might not be utter garbage, but not on the level needed to pull it off, seems to me.

You dont think Aruajo should be a starter? Far from finished article but not sure what these better alternatives are.

What defence would you like to see next season?

Joan

You dont think Aruajo should be a starter? Far from finished article but not sure what these better alternatives are.

What defence would you like to see next season?

No, I think he should start unless major dip in form. He's a good player already. Think a more experienced player should partner him.

In mentioned defence we're betting Garcia is the real thing, of which I'm skeptical. If not, we're stuck with Mingueza and Lenglet. Both underwhelming.

Don't know the state Pique returns in or how reliable Umtiti's knees are, but they bring to the table what others don't.

khaled_a_d

Surely not a team to challenge for titles next year (you never know though with RM also entering rebuild and AM might fall apart soon) but with a current state of La Liga they should still finish top 4 which should be our primary goal in next two years. We just can't afford to miss out on the CL money.

No way that is the goal in next 2 years, at worst it is the bar minimum next year.
Going without major trophy (Liga & CL) for 4 years should never be acceptable for club like Barca as a a part of plan, next president might not even survive two years like this.

Also,Barca won't just go solely for free players, that option won't happen. Even last summer we still signed Dest with the wage relief.
Tebas already suggesting that there is a chance of fans going back in stadiums in April.
Most likely the next board will reschedule the debt, ask the government for some help while probably doing some sales like Laporta is suggesting, and then they do business as usual though more cautious.

The club can't lose its "prestige" by planning a 3 year rebuild while losing all marketable players with only free players coming in.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
What's all this talk about top 4? Who are the 4 other teams we are competing with that could keep us out of a CL spot?

Whoever ends up 4th with Barca should be sacked immediately. Even 3rd would be pretty bad at this point considering Madrid teams' squad quality, especially this season where 2nd place is wide open.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What's all this talk about top 4? Who are the 4 other teams we are competing with that could keep us out of a CL spot?

Whoever ends up 4th with Barca should be sacked immediately. Even 3rd would be pretty bad at this point considering Madrid teams' squad quality, especially this season where 2nd place is wide open.

On paper we should always be a title contender, but in reality we are struggling even with Messi still here. In the immediate future without Messi in the middle of a rebuild, I think it is not far off to consider our goal to make to the top four. Real Madrid and Atletico go without saying, we will be competing against the very strong side of Sevilla and Villarreal in the coming years.

JamDav1982

On paper we should always be a title contender, but in reality we are struggling even with Messi still here. In the immediate future without Messi in the middle of a rebuild, I think it is not far off to consider our goal to make to the top four. Real Madrid and Atletico go without saying, we will be competing against the very strong side of Sevilla and Villarreal in the coming years.

Sevilla and Villareal will both lose their best players. Barca should not be worried about Villareal.

fergus90

My thoughts exactly.

Home of Barca Fans